General Category > Electric Boat Conversions

Brake by reversing

<< < (2/2)

Pontus:
Although it might be possible with such a braking arrangement, it's not a path I'm willing to go. It ads complexity and several more points of failure.

If GM is right in their answer, which is not 100% clear due to both things getting lost in translation and the fact that they of course would like to sell me a new controller - then it's a fault by design.
The answer I was hoping for would be a firmware update, since all this is software settings inside the controller.

If not possible, my best hope is a refund for the current controller and buy a new one.

But I'm still curious if no one else have had this problem! Throwing forward & reverse is more or less standard procedure in harbour manoeuvres. Am I the only one with this experience? What's setting my installation apart from others?

Sventropy:
Pontus, I haven’t had that exact problem. In fact sometimes, I put it in reverse while sailing to stop the prop from rotating because the noise can be annoying. Though I have had an issue at times with it not starting. I can’t quite isolate the situation that causes it. Sometimes after I’ve been motoring hard and stop for a second (to drop fenders or something before making the turn into my marina) it won’t restart for a minute. And sometimes when it’s auto-rotating really fast it won’t restart for a moment, then suddenly start up at whatever speed I’ve left the throttle in. This last bit has happened a couple times while fighting the current to sail under a bridge. Not fun.

I’ve wondered if heat has been an issue. When you stop the air cooled motor is no longer cooling so the temperature might peak then take a second to cool down. Though this only explains the first scenario and not the second.

Have you made any improvements?

Also I haven’t really been able to get the regeneration to work.

BjornO:
Hi, I have the same problem when going from forward to reverse.
The first version of the speed control box was just a potentiometer. However, it became more unstable during the summer.
The second version had a multi-position rotary switch, and a separate switch to the brake input on the controller. It worked better, but as I also changed a lot of controller parameters, I don’t know why.
I an currently planning version 3 of the speed control box. This time I will put a switch on the throttle lever that automatically engages the brake signal when the lever is in its neutral position.
/Björn

Fabio:
hi, I had the same problem and I changed the regenerative bracking option and now I can start the motor forward or reverse also if the propeller is turning in the other side, i'm still testing to real understand how it work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version