Author Topic: Bob Ross  (Read 16274 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Bob Ross
« on: November 26, 2011, 12:34:34 AM »
Gary, you have a nice growing collection of video clips. Has anyone ever told you that you sound just like Bob Ross? ;D

Thanks for the positive compliments!

I did not know who is Bob Ross so I looked him up. Its amazing the voice, the manerism, even the hairdo!

And he certainly does enjoy washing his brush!!

:D :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNAzYEM1pxo&feature=related

I cant believe I lasted the whole 3 and a half minutes. I usually bail on any Youtube video long before then.

Gary

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Bob Ross
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 02:33:25 AM »
I cant believe I lasted the whole 3 and a half minutes. I usually bail on any Youtube video long before then.

Gary, see if you can make it to the end of this YouTube video as well.

It contains a good selection of some of his paintings which show just how good an artist he really was before his life was sadly cut short by cancer at the age of 52 back in 1995!

Although I have no artistic ability whatsoever, I would always be glued to his program whenever I came across it while flicking through the channels, and I always surprised at how quickly he completed each of his landscapes.

The thing that always amazed me was the amount of colour and detail he managed to cram into each painting, especially when you consider that each of his pictures were actually painted in one session, right in front of the camera, and then shown virtually in its entirety on a program which lasted less than 30 minutes. :o

Click on the thumbnails below to hopefully see what I mean about the detail in his work:

My kids enjoyed watching the programs too, and still refer to him as Bob the microphone because of his hairstyle.

Alan

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 08:55:51 AM »
Ha ha,,  I thought you'd like that one :D.  A bit of a chocolate box artist, naff in some ways but you cannot ignore the raw talent. Definately a cult figure. you could not find a more "mellow" TV program.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
Andrew, I see you went for the "Gary in a doorway" look there, but you didn't fool me for one minute.
It was far too obvious to me that the photo had been altered in some way, so I decided to look for the original, and guess what I found:

If you click on the canvas you can really appreciate the work and detail that has gone into the original painting, which I believe was commissioned by Morgan Freeman especially for Gary.

The original can be seen hanging on the wall above the desk in Gary's office.

It's truly amazing what results can be achieved with just a 60mm brush and some artistic talent.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:58:48 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 08:35:12 PM »
ha ha,,,, I can't believe you found the original.  :D   I just didn't want to inflate his ego too much.  From the research i've done The louvre in Paris has the original.....  Or so they think.   I've heard rumors that it actually hangs in Canada above some hobos desk,,, but that's just rumours ;)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 02:51:14 AM »
I see you two are having fun!!