Author Topic: 3kW BLDC Motor and Motor Controller: Quickly Switch Torque Direction  (Read 2340 times)

Offline 071111108100101110

• Confirmed
Hi,
I am using the 3kW BLDC Motor with the VEC-200 Motor Controller to make a robot. I plan on adding on/off mechanical brakes in the future, but right now I just have the motor hooked up to a set of wheels.

As expected, I can move forward and backwards and coast to a stop. However, I noticed that if I am going forward and try to slow down by applying torque in the opposite direction, the motor controller just stops the motor and will not accept new input until the wheels have stopped moving. The result is the same coasting motion as before. While mechanical brakes may help fix this specific problem, this causes other issues, one of which is when I want to go down a hill at a controlled speed.

I would like to go forward down the hill and apply small torque backwards in order to control the forward motion. I would not want to use my on/off mechanical brakes since this would result in choppy motion. However, as I mentioned, it seems like I cannot do this with my current motor controller settings. In fact, if I were to go down a hill without mechanical brakes, it would be impossible for me to stop the robot since the motor/wheels need to stop before going backwards. This is a major problem for me. Is there a setting I can change so that I can apply a torque in either direction regardless of which way the wheels are going? Or if I am trying to do something that this Motor/Motor Controller are incapable of doing?

Thanks,
Michael