Author Topic: Wiring dual VEC500 to 10kW aircooled BLDC  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Alphapi

• Confirmed
Wiring dual VEC500 to 10kW aircooled BLDC
« on: July 19, 2021, 07:04:18 PM »
Hi All,

I'm working on an other boat conversion on a 1972 steel seahawk 30 with 5 tons from netherland.

The 48v 10kW engine is directly mountet to the shaft with a vetus uniflex coupling.
I power the boat with a bank of 4 pylontech us3000 at 48v with a total of 296 Ah (14kWh).

While testing the engine I have limited the VEC500 to a max of 100A, as I'm testing with just one battery. After 20 minutes the controller overheated and shut down. To reduce the heat at the vec500 I want to use a dual vec500 configuration and add some cooling fins and on top some 120mm fans.

I know its a bit over powered but my test day was at nearly 35°C outside inside the boat was around 50°C so it was very easy to overheat.

On some points I read about the possibility of a dual vec500 configuration but I'm not sure about the wiring. U/V/W and the hall sensors are double. This is easy, but how do I connect the throttle, reverse switch and do the controllers need a sync connection?

Best Regards,
Alphapi

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Wiring dual VEC500 to 10kW aircooled BLDC
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 09:24:05 PM »
Hi Alphapi andto the forum.

As most boats that I've come across seem to have an unlimited supply of cool water all around them, it might be better to use a liquid cooled heatsink plate to cool the controllers and the motor, as liquid cooling should be far more effective than air cooling, especially when the cooling air temperature is already at 50°C.

Regarding the connections for dual controllers (where each controller is connected separately to one of the motor's two stators) you will need to make sure that they both share a common ground connection (Battery -) if they are being fed by separate batteries.

If they are both connected in parallel to a single battery, you just need to connect the other control wires in parallel, with the exception of the +5V supply to the throttle, which should only be connected to one of the controllers and the unused wire should be safely insulated.
I seem to recall that the main reason for this is to prevent the two internal +5V regulators from interfering with each others operation, as their individual regulated outputs are likely to be slightly different.

So, the e-lock wire, Reverse wire, Cruise wire, Throttle signal wire and Brake signal wire (if they're used) on one controller would simply connect to the corresponding wires on the other controller.

You would also need to make sure that the controller parameters were set exactly the same for both controllers, bearing in mind that the Maximum Battery Current settings for each controller should be set to half the maximum current available from the single battery.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 09:41:55 PM by Bikemad »