Author Topic: Battery Pack & Charger, Joy??  (Read 6528 times)

Offline keithm

Battery Pack & Charger, Joy??
« on: January 16, 2009, 06:37:04 PM »
Hi All

Having had two of the old style LIFPO4 batteries from last summer with neither lasting after the first use, Philip has just sent a replacement with charger as used on the new Golden Motor Joy bike. :)
Unfortunately the new battery arrived with both plastic ends of the unit cracked , the security seal broken and standard kettle type socket which I assume is the output and also the charge input.
The charger has a mains lead and for the output a cable and male plug which is cylindrical with central "spike" however there is no similar socket on the battery pack.
I assume the batterys have a BMS unit in the battery box as the charger appears to be twin core output.

As there are no instructions I am wondering whether anyone has seen this system and can advise. I assume that the charger output plug needs changing for a plug to fit the battery pack, there is a plug and bare lead included in the package.

I've tried emailing Philip but no response yet.

I was glad to see a replacement after 5 months of me emailing Philip with no response but am disappointed to receive a damaged battery pack that seems to have already been opened. It seems the Golden Motor quality standard remains as ever.   :-\

Offline TOM

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Battery Pack & Charger, Joy??
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 12:35:01 AM »
Could you take a photo let me see it

Thanks

Eamil:zhourenli@goldenmotor.com

Offline keithm

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 09:40:02 AM »
Hi Photos attached of the charger plug, battery pack and charger, hope this helps.. I've also included a photo of the crack in plastic end.

Offline keithm

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 05:46:42 PM »
Hi
I've found the battery charge socket,  it was under the handle which would seem to be a good place for it as it keeps the socket covered in use.
I suppose I should have looked under the handle before but didn't want to lift the handle too much as it strained the cracked casing and I only lifted it so I could demonstrate the cracked casings for a photo, attached for those interested.

Battery is charging at present so I hope it is better than the previous ones, I am concerned at a slight smell but will post results later.

Offline TOM

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 01:16:23 AM »
Befor sending,we had test that is very well.

Must our thansport company

Next Monday let me with philip,then reply you.Sorry for that

Offline Perbear

• Technical Officer
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 11:01:56 PM »
Please be aware that the IEC ("kettle") connector in your battery is illegal in Europe.  Since there exist a great risk of putting mains voltage onto low voltage equipment when using this connector on battery voltage, this is explicitly forbidden, as described in this article from ExtraEnergy.org:
http://www.extraenergy.org/main.php?language=en&category=&subcateg=&id=2286  :(

Also be aware that replacing XLR plugs used on some batteries may create dangers of a different kind, like burning down your house:
http://www.datei.de/public/extraenergy/081114-XLR-Problematik.pdf  :o

Think first, be safe!

- PerBear

Offline keithm

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 09:13:38 PM »
Thanks for the warning / information.

I'd be happy to swap to a different connector type but am concerned that there seems to be nothing on the market that does the job of carrying power and allowing easy connect/disconnect.
I used to have a Curry motor and following difficulties with the supplied connector swapped to a Tamiya type. However this got quite hot and I ended up using two of the Tamiya connectors glued together in a pair to double the current handling capacity.
The Curry motor also use the XLR connector for charging and at the currents used I can't see why there would be a problem.

Having had problems with charging the LIFEPO4 batteries where they melted and emitted lots of smoke I am reluctant to charge anything indoors during times when I can not keep an occasional eye on it.
Looking at the pictures iof the burnt house I suspect the issues were more to do with the LIFEPO4 charging than the connectors used.

Returning to the subject of the JOY batteries and charger. I've now used them twice and recharged fully after bosth rides with no incident and no apparent overheating. The performance seemed a little poor on my initial ride but better on the second one and charging seems to take a long while. I'm hoping performance will improve after the initial recharges.

ATB  Keith

Offline TOM

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 01:52:37 PM »
Please be aware that the IEC ("kettle") connector in your battery is illegal in Europe.  Since there exist a great risk of putting mains voltage onto low voltage equipment when using this connector on battery voltage, this is explicitly forbidden, as described in this article from ExtraEnergy.org:
http://www.extraenergy.org/main.php?language=en&category=&subcateg=&id=2286  :(

Also be aware that replacing XLR plugs used on some batteries may create dangers of a different kind, like burning down your house:
http://www.datei.de/public/extraenergy/081114-XLR-Problematik.pdf  :o

Think first, be safe!

- PerBear

You are great.
Thank you