Author Topic: A 4 Hub Motor Car, Reverse not working Magic controller  (Read 7622 times)

4motorcar

A 4 Hub Motor Car, Reverse not working Magic controller
« on: January 10, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
Hello,

I'm building a 4 motor hub car using 4 1000W 901 motors and 4 controllers. I need help with 3 questions:
- I can't seem to get reverse to work. Could it be that I need to login into the controller to modify the settings ? Any way of doing this without cables ?

- Is it absolutely crucial to have the wheel installed in the right direction (can you run a wheel in reverse all the time ?). I ask because in my car, I want all the cables to come out towards the inside of the car and not stick out from the outside.

- Finally, is there a way to get rid of the vibrations ? When my wheels spin they all vibrate and shake the frame too much...

Here is a pic to help visualize
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 05:56:07 PM by 4motorcar »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: A 4 Hub Motor Car, Reverse not working Magic controller
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 01:29:52 AM »
You should be able to reverse the direction of two of the motors by swapping two of the thick phase wires and the matching hall sensor wires (i.e. Yellow and Green) on both controllers and the wheels should then run fine in the opposite direction.

The vibration is probably due to the rims and tyres not being 100% concentric with the hub.
You will need to true the wheels correctly by adjusting the spokes to get the rims exactly in the right place, as shown in the latter part of this video.

Alan

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:32:55 AM by Bikemad »

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 04:37:43 AM »
I think he wants a reverse switch.
I think I remember that t he reverse function was deprecated in the magic controller.
didn't it become the programming connector?

That means to get reverse on 4 controllers you
need 4   DPDT switches that can handle the current you want..

Ideally this should go through a logic board that reads the hall sensors to make sure you are not moving when you switch to reverse.

Vibration also can come from the road.  Bike wheels don't offer much shock absorption.  You may want to look at a suspension.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 02:26:01 AM »
The internal controllers eliminated reverse and horn. The external Magic controllers you are using are reversable. Two controllers would need the switch closed to enable reverse and two controllers with the switch open. As far as I can tell the motor will spin in either direction at full speed as I displayed in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJEUtBnBCDY&list=UUv3KWOO85wyf-opGp2gn-yA&index=8&feature=plcp

The quad is looking awesome M, More pictures please!!

Gary

4motorcar

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 05:22:06 PM »
Hi Gary,

I'm having another problem with the 4 controllers. I set all controllers to 20% reverse speed and 100% breaking. But only 2 controllers (A,B) are breaking at 100%, and only 2 controllers (C,D) are reversing at 20% !!!!!

I validated all the settings in the software and confirmed that the problem is with the controllers and not the motors. PLEASE HELP. As it stands, I can't use the electronic breaking because it throws be to the left. Reverse is not much better !!!

Mo

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 03:00:02 AM »
Mo, I'm assuming you have already swapped the wires on two of the controllers to change the direction of rotation. ;)
In which case, you should be able to simply change the controllers so that A and B are on each of the front wheels and C and D are on the rears. This would stop the regenerative braking from pulling to the left, and reverse should be more even too.

Alan