Author Topic: how to properly open the motor cover  (Read 4193 times)

Offline zzw1983

how to properly open the motor cover
« on: May 29, 2010, 07:49:14 PM »
hi

i am having some trouble removing the cover to access the controller and cable from the motor to repair fraying

i removed all screws front and back with the hex wrench and still cant get it off.
i don't want to do any further damage so simple question

whats the best easiest safest way to get this thing off

thanks for the help

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: how to properly open the motor cover
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 09:32:06 PM »
Different motor but the concept may still work.

Be gentle now.

Doing at home with the limited tools was rather easy.

The first thing was to undo the hub housing bolts on the first side. You do not need to take the sprocket off or anything.

Using two bread and butter knives I edged one side off carefully with out any trouble what-so ever.  If this is a problem a little spray lube might help.

Edge the housing off a little at a time, rocks left to right ever so small, and turn it around and edge a bit more.  Use the blunt sides of the knives.

Beware of the formers

The formers are the layered steel parts the windings surround.

Its improbable but not impossible to catch the knife in them and splay the formers apart.  Use the back sides of the bread and butter knives once you get them in between the hub ring and side housing.

If you do splay a former you can usually press the back in or hold it out a little more than it rests bent "from the beginning of the bend" with a fine tool (Sewing needle) and press the top back in, release it from the fine tool and you should see it settle back into place.

Here I provide a latter pic of a splayed former.  Insert the needles and push it down until the former splays just a little more and tap it down.  Once spayed they are hard to flatten back into place, hence why you need to move it out a little in order to bend it back.

This was my favourite bit although you don't need to do this it makes it easier to play with and makes easier to get the other side off with out a press,  I didn't like using the hammer while the stator sat inside stuck to the magnets inside the hub ....

Remove the other sides housing bolts after you remove the first hub housing side...

I grabbed either sides of the hub with both hands and pushed the stator out with my shoes... Make sure it land on the pillow.

The other side proved a little more difficult so I employed a little help with a wooded chock to protect the axle, a hammer, and used my shoes to take the shock off of the bearings like this.  Bang bang with the hammer and doinge it came off with no damage to the bearings.  If you have to hit harder enough to kill a medium sized animal Id say gets it pressed off at the shops and I did all my work on a cushy lounge so the parts landed on pillows ;)...

Here we have the stator.  With all the problems Ive had I rather think the quality of both hub and stator is top notch, strong and built to last, its just those damed wires.  Hey be sure to leave enough of the ends of all wires with the colour insulator so you know which one goes where..

To save money and a trip to town, I decided to use and extention lead rated at 10 amps.  My controllers is rated at 30 amps and I think 3 X 10 amps should be fine.

The wire core I'm using are some thicker than the one supplied with the motor. and the insulation is decent so I think things will only improve.

There is no reason metal should cut the rubber, well no more than the sharp copper inside cuts the insulator when the wires are munged..  So before I thread the wire I will file and sand the axle.  When the bike fell the axle ends up with sharp bits of extruding metal.  With a file and small piece of sand medium paper rolled into a flute I work away the sharp edges.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 09:34:50 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline zzw1983

Re: how to properly open the motor cover
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 03:48:17 AM »
thanks so much!
great tutorial.
I'll give this a try tomorrow because the vibration and cutting out problems are due to something in the motor not aligned. I would like to reenforce the wires too as your suggested.

again thanks!