Author Topic: Throttle Problem  (Read 3831 times)

Offline zzw1983

Throttle Problem
« on: May 29, 2010, 05:14:44 AM »
hi

I'm new here
just picked up an e bike with a lifepo4 battery yesterday and the Magic Pie motor. it has a few modifications like hard  wiring instead of the weak plugs, etc.

anyway the throttle is not the grip throttle (like a motorcycle) its one where you press a lever down.

anyway I blew a rear tire and had a hard time replacing the tube (mountain bike) because of the cable to the motor.
after a long hard struggle I got the tubes replaced and the wheels back in place.

But now
i cant move the bike unless I hold the cruise control button. the throttle does not work

i noticed fraying on the cable from the motor
and I noticed a thin red wire had broken. I carefully soldered it back with a tiny bit of thin red wire that still stuck out on the motor shaft.
some of the thicker wires in the cable were frayed but not broken.

after reattaching the wires it still did not work unless I kept my finge4r on the cruise control button. and ther start up is kind of rattly until it gets going.
I'm pretty sure its also going slower than it rightfully should.

any suggestions for troubleshooting.

thanks!

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Throttle Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 06:03:22 AM »
Hi andto GM forums.

I would definetly check inside the motor for more freyed cables.

I get the feeling there is still some problem with the freyed cables I have experienced similar problem with freyed cables on one of my controllers way back when.

Please resist the desire to ride the bike and test it until your absolutley sure all cables have been isolated from each other.  Use heat shrink or replace the wires with good ones with adequate insulation.

Please let us know how you get on..

Bring it on

Offline zzw1983

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 03:33:31 PM »
hi

thanks for the reply.
i'll post a follow up once I get some tools.

Offline zzw1983

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 12:02:47 AM »
I took a second look today and repaired the connection and added solder to the frayed wires (power) that were part of the same cable going into the motor. I also took the old throttle and put on the twist throttle.

The new throttle works but I seem to be shorting out something every so often. it happens mostly when I brake to a stop. I have to detach and reattach the power cable from the battery to get it up again. I think it may be the cable from the motor or maybe the throttle is bad (I hooked it up correctly).

But the controller seems to be working fine. I have cruise control working normally and the motor runs as powerful as before. However now during start up acceleration the motor vibrates a lot until it gets up to speed. I have no clue what's happening. Maybe I put the wheel back in not aligned properly or maybe something in the motor.