Author Topic: Rear racks and top cases  (Read 6297 times)

Offline wayne3109

• Confirmed
Rear racks and top cases
« on: August 05, 2009, 11:06:29 PM »
Hi there.  I'm currently planning on shoving the massive 48-volt 20AH Ping battery and 2 X GM controllers in a 20-litre Topeak bag on a Topeak rack.  This isn't really an ideal setup and I would like to attach a hard top box that is lockable to the rear rack so that it is more waterproof and secure.  I'll be leaving the battery pack and controllers on the bike when I park it so having them in a soft case that is easily opened and removed is not the best idea..

Can any of you recommend a good quality, lockable, hard plastic rear top box?  I've seen a few in photos but not sure where I can get them.  Most of the local bike shops here in Melbourne, Australia, have very limited stock of anything like that...

Cheers!
Wayne ;-)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Rear racks and top cases
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 12:40:13 AM »
Can any of you recommend a good quality, lockable, hard plastic rear top box?  I've seen a few in photos but not sure where I can get them.  Most of the local bike shops here in Melbourne, Australia, have very limited stock of anything like that...

Wayne,

It might be worth a trip to your local hardware or D.I.Y. store and see if you can find a suitable hard plastic toolbox just waiting to be converted.

Alan

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 09:54:39 AM »
Can any of you recommend a good quality, lockable, hard plastic rear top box?  I've seen a few in photos but not sure where I can get them.  Most of the local bike shops here in Melbourne, Australia, have very limited stock of anything like that...
G'day fellow Melbourneian,

Have you tried looking in motorbike shops rather than pushbike shops for something like below:

Muzza.au
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 01:31:23 PM by Bikemad »

Offline wayne3109

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 02:10:29 AM »
Nice one - I hadn't thought of that, no!  Cheers!  :-)

Offline alsline

• Confirmed
  • older than dirt
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 07:46:32 PM »
Hello wayne, take a look @ the pics. I posted in the gallery I used the top box fron a small gas scooter to house my 48v/20ah lifepo try to get one thats detachable you wont get parranoid every time you leave the bike for five minutes lol good luck mate. Alsline.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 08:26:33 PM »
Hello wayne, take a look @ the pics. I posted in the gallery I used the top box fron a small gas scooter to house my 48v/20ah lifepo try to get one thats detachable you wont get parranoid every time you leave the bike for five minutes lol good luck mate. Alsline.

Here's a link to Alsline's post in the gallery Alsline's gallery post .

Alan

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 01:35:33 PM by Bikemad »

Offline wayne3109

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 05:17:29 AM »
thanks!!  :-)