Author Topic: Regenerative Controller/Hub as generator on windmill.  (Read 9081 times)

Offline OffGrid

Regenerative Controller/Hub as generator on windmill.
« on: September 03, 2007, 04:42:20 PM »
I got on this forum originally to see if there were any hints about alternative uses of bicycle systems including brushless hubs as power transmission/conversion elements.   The new regenerative controller seems very promising.  Does anyone have any reference material for this?

Here's the concept.   I've designed several small windmills which use  bicycle wheels (hubs, gear clusters, rims, even tires).   I think they could be really good utility power-systems, including a complementary (to solar) source of electric power.  I've monkeyed around with using them to pump water (lifting and dropping a PVC pipe with a foot vale in hand-driven well using an off-center cam) and turning small bench tools (grinder), but haven't tried electric power generation.

This is mostly due to a lack of an appropriate electric generator.  A brushless hub with an *efficient* regenerative braking controller *might* be a good solution.  Not because it is cost-effective, but because it can: A) Be intrinsic to the windmill/flywheel system; or B) be multi-use (used on a bicycle when needed); or C) Part of a hybrid system (couple an existing windmill to a bicycle (on a stand) to yield a dual-power system...

A) is appealing because getting useful work from a windmill is tricky....
    1)The damn thing wants to point into the wind and  mechanical takeoffs have to be flexible or "follow" the orientation.
    2) Chain and belt-drive systems are inherently power-robbing.
B) Is appealing because I don't use a Bicycle more than for short round-trips...
    1) I would only need to take the windmill "offline" now and then.
    2) It provides a mix of convenience (transportation) and utility (power generation).
C) The hybrid is appealing but also has drawbacks.
    1) More easily "converted" ... lift the bicycle from it's stand, disconnect from larger battery system, ride away.
    2) Convenient to allow "pedal power" to make up for or augment wind-power.
    3) The intermediate drive system could provide direct mechanical work when not generating electricity.
    4) The system *still* suffers the same mechanical losses as a belt/chain drive.
D) It is even conceivable that this could be run in "reverse" using electricity to replace/augment the wind/pedal energy to pump water or drive a tool-system.  This is the most marginal use I suspect.

I was also intrigued by the discussion about the use of various 18V cordless tool systems.   I'm a Ryobi man, myself and suspect they don't have the same duty cycle as DeWalt/Rigid/??? but I would rather own a dozen 18V plug-n-play NiCads than expand my lead-acid bank.

I think my windmill designs could be made to work even in (sub)urban (not just rural) settings...  Rooftops and/or even fire-escape platforms with enough standoff.

- OffGrid

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Regenerative Controller/Hub as generator on windmill.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 05:16:22 PM »
I'd hold up for the new, new regen controller that will allow the user to change operating settings and fine tune for whatever their application, style, environment, etc. Waiting on a sample to test right now and hope to give a good (but unbiased) report shortly.  ;D

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 11:49:49 PM by myelectricbike »

Offline cadstarsucks

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 11:45:19 PM »
I got on this forum originally to see if there were any hints about alternative uses of bicycle systems including brushless hubs as power transmission/conversion elements.   The new regenerative controller seems very promising.  Does anyone have any reference material for this?

Here's the concept.   I've designed several small windmills which use  bicycle wheels (hubs, gear clusters, rims, even tires).   I think they could be really good utility power-systems, including a complementary (to solar) source of electric power.  I've monkeyed around with using them to pump water (lifting and dropping a PVC pipe with a foot vale in hand-driven well using an off-center cam) and turning small bench tools (grinder), but haven't tried electric power generation.

This is mostly due to a lack of an appropriate electric generator.  A brushless hub with an *efficient* regenerative braking controller *might* be a good solution.  Not because it is cost-effective, but because it can: A) Be intrinsic to the windmill/flywheel system; or B) be multi-use (used on a bicycle when needed); or C) Part of a hybrid system (couple an existing windmill to a bicycle (on a stand) to yield a dual-power system...
If you are only looking to generate electricity all you need is a brushless motor and a three phase bridge rectifier. 

If you are trying to run a specific thing or charge a battery you need a power conversion circuit to take the voltage that comes off the motor, which could be anywhere from 10-100V depending on rotor speed, to the approximate twelve volts of your electrical system.

The higher the voltage your electrical system runs the less convenient this conversion becomes.

Dan

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 02:48:14 AM »
OffGrid

I have also wondered about using a hub motor as a windmill set up. Have you designed any egg beater type windmills using bicycle wheels?

I think the super or ultra capacitors could offer a method of handling the voltage variables that Dan mentioned.

Dale

Offline OffGrid

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 04:33:22 AM »
Nope, no eggbeaters... just goofy little fan-types.

Since one of my favorite blade-types of choice is 1/4 inch t&g planking (cedar), I suppose that I could rig an eggbeater on a pair of bicycle hubs with the same material... I"m not sure how to make a stiff enough center post, however.

I think a larger diameter hub bearing is in order to accomodate something like a 2" steel pipe through...  not just a 3/8" threaded rod.