Author Topic: Magic Pie 5 48v No throttle but manual reconnection runs motor at 1/3 speed ?  (Read 2643 times)

Offline eBikeNooby

• Confirmed
Hello.
I hope every one is well.

I purchased a Magic Pie 5 1000w 48V kit last year. I have only done about 35km total.

I recenly brought a new battery 48v 17ah from trusted maker in the UK called Batterino.

When I attach the battery I get 3 power led's and nothing else at all.

Bluetooth works and I can connect with the Golden Motor app however the only time the wheel spins is when I disconnect and reconnect the throttle cable. This spins the wheel not at full speed but at about 17mph constantly and there is nothing else I can do.

Throttle is unresponsive, breaks and cruse/horn unplugged.

Is it stuck in cruse controle setting ? or is throttle or controller damaged ?

I have ordered another throttle and it should be here tomorrow or monday.

Any help and advice appreciated.
Yours Sincerely
eBikeNooby
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 05:41:21 PM by eBikeNooby »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Hi eBikeNooby andto the forum.

From your description of what is happening, it does sound like a throttle problem, and this will hopefully be confirmed when the new throttle arrives.

It is definitely not stuck in cruise mode as it would reset when the power was turned on and could not be reset without a working throttle and cruise control button.

It might be the Hall sensor come loose inside the throttle, as this would default to half throttle if it is not in close proximity of the magnet.
If the throttle is held at half throttle, the motor would not run when power was turned on due to a safety feature of the controller. The throttle has to be released before the motor will run, and disconnecting the throttle basically does the same thing. Then when you plug it back in again it would instantly run at half throttle.

Similar symptoms could also be caused by a poor ground connection on the Hall sensor, as this would cause the throttle signal output to be constantly high.

In both cases, if you had the brakes connected, it would then cut the motor when either of the levers were pulled, and then go back to half throttle when the brakes were released.

I presume the bike was previously running correctly for the first 35km prior to the new battery being fitted?  ???

I suspect that the throttle cable may have been strained at some point, causing the hall sensor to be dislodged from its housing, or the ground wire to be pulled off (or the ground wire damaged internally).

Whereabouts in the UK are you located?

Alan

« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 11:54:43 PM by spellchecker »

Offline eBikeNooby

• Confirmed
Hey Alan. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Fingers crossed the throttle may come today so I can try it out. Ill also check the hall sensor like you mentioned later.

Pleased to hear its not stuck in cruise mode.

I think the trottle cable has been strained by me and my poor fitment in the exitement to get the bike going with some dodgy cable tie management...

Bike was working ok for the first run but I had a bad Home made battery. 5p/13s My first time soldering, no BMS, very bad. Ran like a charm for 30k then the soldering cracked and I got dipondant as I didnt want to go through all that work agian. And now here I am with the new battery...

Im in West Sussex BTW, about 15km south from Gatwick Airport.

Best Regards
eBN

Offline eBikeNooby

• Confirmed
Hi Alan.

You were right the hall sensor is hanging out inside the housing benieth the LED's - There's a bit of white rubber glue on the sensor and in the hole where its supposed to be. I tried lining them up and packing it inside the casing to hold the sensor down but that didnt work.

Is it ok to push the hall sensor in to the hole and glue it in ?

New throttle arrives tomorrow hopefully anyway so fingers crossed.

Kind regards
eBN 

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Is it ok to push the hall sensor in to the hole and glue it in ?

Yes, it should be fine to glue it back with a hot melt glue gun, silicone or 5 minute epoxy etc. to hold it in the right place. Just take care not to break any of the wires off while moving it about.  ;)

You certainly can't make it any worse than it already is.   ::)

Alan

Offline eBikeNooby

• Confirmed
Hi There.

Thank you for your help. Much much appreciated ! -

I half fixed the broken throttle with glue but then the new one came and it works like a charm. Its all working again now....

Now all I need is a bigger battery as this one gets warm under load. 48v 15ah

I am still learning.

Kind regards
eBN

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
I'm pleased to hear it's back in action again.

Alan