Author Topic: Magic Pie III Updates  (Read 102361 times)

Offline Lionelt

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie III Updates
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2012, 10:35:55 AM »
Nice Bike Gary  (but you can hide cables into front fork tube)

I see you have not caliper on front fork, same problem like my Chopper E-Nirve, (the frame is same for cannibal and switchblade), not possible to have front brake disc on this old frame !

the new frame has original front brake disc.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2012, 11:26:26 AM »
In Canada it is not available with the disk brake. I tried to order directly from the US distributer. Even they will not ship it to Canada. I had arranged to have one added to the tubes with my metal fabricator friends but at the last moment I decided its not needed. Regen on the front wheel is enough and the coaster brake on the back is strong. I have even made the rear tire "squeal" when braking. It actually scared me as I though a car was screeching to a stop behind me. To my surprise there were no cars behind me. The sound came from my back tire. The odd thing about the disk brake is it seems to be on the opposite side of the wheel then all other bikes.

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2012, 03:41:43 PM »
 Lionelt , if you did not see my MP2 Nirve conversion . Here are my pictures . I will do the disk brake thing when I am up for opening the motor to reverse the rotation of the wheel . Rodmiami

Offline Ingwar

• Confirmed
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2012, 02:39:19 PM »
I want to upgrade from MP2 to MP3. But I still doubt whether there are enough reasons for such a change. As  far as I understand from various posts and information on http://www.goldenmotor.ca - MP3 in comparison with MP2 is "quieter with more power", it has cooling fan and new set of connectors. Unfortunately there is no information on some signficant issues: weight of MP3 in comparison with MP2, how GM managed to increase the power up to 50%, has the power consumption changed in comparison with MP2, has the speed changed in comparison with MP2? Gary, BikeMad and other happy owners of MP3 please share the  information. Thanks in advance.

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2012, 05:47:04 PM »
Sorry, my experience with the  MP3 on 48 Volts has not been that much fun.  If these guys ever get to understand the value of build quality, they have a great potential product.  It is a brilliant design plagued  with cheap components and assembly.  I have to wonder how many pennies  management they think they are saving by using 60Volt rated capacitors in circuits stressed with 58 Volt actual applied power. 

They need to visit FoxConn...Then they could see how to make real money with high build quality goods. 

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Ingwar

• Confirmed
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2012, 07:02:16 PM »
Dennis it's a pity that your experience was not as exciting as it should. I know that there are quaility issues - for example the connectors and the cables on MP2 could be made much much better.
As for FoxConn - it's not so brilliant as you think - mine experience with IPad2 regrettably shows it (the glass just came off from the body) - sorry for offtopic   

Offline MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2012, 09:44:42 AM »
Yes but for that price you can't afford Foxcon qaulity!
But the quality is still good for that price!
So I love the Magic Pie III........

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2012, 08:45:50 PM »
Hi MP3focuspower,

I spent a couple of decades in the semiconductor manufacturing business, where I learned one lesson over and over: Quality improvements reduce manufacturing costs and increase income.   Saving a few pennies on lower rated capacitors and a few dimes on grade 25 bearings instead of grade 10 is costing GM income opportunities.  The MP3 line is brilliantly designed, and management decisions like these are killing its reputation, and its future.  Ask Kia and Hyundai how quality improvements affected their ability to sell cars in the US and become the fastest growing import  brand name. 

TTFN,
Dennis

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2012, 08:45:23 PM »
Yes I agree with you!
But I think when they use better components the price will go up?

I am also into RC cars yes I am only buying good stuff (Chinese stuff only smoke hahaha:-) ).

Offline Ingwar

• Confirmed
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2012, 05:33:17 PM »
I've already made a post on MP2 and MP3 comparison but nobody seems to notice it (I've even written a letter to Gary but he didn't answer). I ask the the owners of MP3 to share the  information on such signficant issues as:
Weight of MP3 in comparison with MP2?
Has the power consumption changed in comparison with MP2?
Has the speed changed in comparison with MP2?
How GM managed to increase the power up to 50% (1000W to 1500W) and climbing torque up to 30%?
Thanks for your answers in advance.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2012, 10:14:59 PM »
I Answer a lot of email of my phone while at work. If the answer is easy I quickly respond if possible. When people ask me multiple questions I usually can't get to it until later when I am on my desktop. At that point the email is most likely many emails back. Maybe even hundreds back mixed with spam and other nonsense. I usually scan back through my email trying to pick out the ones I have not responded to but this can be quite difficult at times. Your post does look familiar but I seem to recall a lot more questions.

Most of your questions can be answered by reading the product description or details in the pictures. There is also help in my FAQ.

Try this one.
http://www.goldenmotor.ca/FAQ/questions.php?questionid=4

As for 1500 watts. I have heard this a few times, usually when someone is also saying they can be run on a 60 volt battery. Both statements are incorrect. As far as I know from my own experiences as soon as anyone uses and battery greater then a 48 volt battery the controller fries instantly. The highest Watts I have seen one MP3 draw on My Cycle Analyst is around 1250 watts.

Also from my own experience the increase in power is substantial. There is some comparison talk in this video. its a little long and boring but does have some interesting facts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5RtYeUmW1U&list=UUv3KWOO85wyf-opGp2gn-yA&index=16&feature=plcp

Gary

Offline Ingwar

• Confirmed
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2012, 06:47:50 PM »
Hello Gary,

I know that you are a busy man and I was not intented to offend you. Thank you for informative answer and links.
I've seen all your videos with MP III before but this time a I listened more carefully to your words. I've seen the FAQ on your site but unfortunately haven't read all the posts there - mia culpa.

Summarizing what I've read and heard:
The power consumption has droped up to 17% (from 9Ah to 7,5Ah on 16km uphill ride)
The speed has increased up to 10% (from 40 to 44 km/h)
The torque has increased up to 30%
The weight remains the same 9,5 kg (but in the post of AussieCruzer MP III on 26' weights 8.95kg)

And all these figures are only due to controller and wiring improvement or ...?

I am a happy owner of Fly-600 with 20' cast rear MP2. I've improved almost every velo- part.  And 've got a pretty good results - top speed - 33km/h, range - 42 km on 36v 10Ah battery with no pedalling.
And now I want to upgrade its elecric part - I am waiting for 48V 20Ah battery pack and thinking of changing MP2 to MP3. What do you think is it worth it?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 04:35:10 AM by Ingwar »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2012, 12:23:27 AM »
No offense taken. That's the trouble with email, txt and posts these days. If you don't put in enough smileys people think you’re not happy :)

The weight of the motors I have taken right off the gm website.

My opinions are my own, based on my own experinces. If other people’s opinions are different that is fine. I used to rely a lot on what I have heard from others. But now with several years under my belt and a lot of unwanted experiences I have learned a fair amount. If people ask me things I have not experienced I point them to the forum. Things I have experienced I point them to my FAQ. Pictures and tests I can easily perform to help everyone in general, I try to put up on youtube, the forum and/or my FAQ. Currently I'm doing USB setting tests on my MP3 and also see a need to cut open a 36v12ah battery for "a look inside". We need some clarification on how the cells are attached. Simple yes/no questions I try to answer ASAP but its not always possible.

Anyway, starting to babble now. Hope you have found your answers.

Gary

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2012, 07:52:36 PM »
How much spacer(s) for freeheel installation are included?

Because I have none when unpackaging :-\

Also do I have a newer/different version rim? Because I don't see any Goldenmotor logo/marks on the rim :o
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 07:57:31 PM by MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER »

Offline truly_bent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2012, 09:59:57 PM »
Ingwar;
I just have to comment; your Fly-600 looks like such a riot that I had to look it up (http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-NewAgeBike/-strse-11/Golden-Motor-Fly-dsh-600--dsh-/Detail.bok). The term "urban assault vehicle" comes to mind when I see that bike.

And "urban" is where I think it's best suited. Much of my riding is in farm country (fortunately for me, wealthy Mennonites who insist on smooth wide paved shoulders :) ), which is well suited to long wheelbases. My wheelbase is probably twice yours by the looks of it.

I run an MPII (MPIII without internal controller) at 48V and regularly see speeds in excess of 50kph. Even with a long and stable wheelbase, I have to stay focused. I'm wondering how stable the Fly-600 is going to be at those speeds. Great for dodging potholes and mounting curbs in the city, but perhaps a mite squirrely at speed. Let us know how she handles after the makeover.

That seat looks a tad uncomfortable though. How is it?

Jeff
Burley Canto recumbent w/ MP II, Lyen 18FET controller, 48V 20AH LiFeP04, Cycle Analyst, and 4 pounds of zip-ties