Author Topic: Headlamp wiring question  (Read 5462 times)

Offline Abe

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Headlamp wiring question
« on: June 02, 2015, 05:13:54 PM »
Hi Alan,
How do I connect headlight bike's wiring system.
Headlight supports input voltage of 12V to 80V,

Thanks,
Abe

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Headlamp wiring question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 07:40:16 PM »
Hi Abe,

If it's a low current LED headlamp it should be a simple case of connecting the positive lead from the light to the red lighting feed wire and the negative headlamp lead to the black lighting ground wire:

If you don't have a horn, I would suggest you connect the light and horn wires in parallel so you can use the horn button as a headlamp flash when the lights are turned off. Simply connect the positive lead from the light to both the red and yellow wires, and the negative wire from the light to both the black and blue wires:

Make sure the connections are well insulated and are not likely to get strained, chaffed or trapped by moving parts (steering, suspension, tyre or brakes etc.)

I fitted a 3W LED to my MP4 but the current draw caused the motor to run slightly when I turned the lights on.
If you experience similar behaviour with your lamp you may have to run a separate ground wire back to the negative power lead connector (Battery -).
The very slight drop in battery voltage through the thin harness wires won't cause a problem on the positive feed wire, but the same rise in voltage across the ground wire increases the throttle signal output by a similar amount. ;)

Alan

Offline Abe

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 06:36:30 AM »
Hello Alan,
I'm a little worried about what you point out, I bought a headlight the structure of 4 LED,  each 5W, 20W together.
This should cause any problem?
Thank you very much,
Abe

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 02:44:46 PM »
As I said before, give it a try and see if it causes a problem with the throttle when the lights are turned on, if so, simply run an additional ground wire between from the joined black and blue wires at the light connection back to the battery negative (-) connection.
A 20W LED should only draw about half an Amp which the wires and switch should be able to handle quite happily, the worst that the voltage drop on the thin battery feed to the switch lead will do is reduce the battery gauge readings slightly causing the LEDs to go out a little bit sooner than you're used to (it might even make the Battery LED indicators a bit more accurate when the lights are turned on).

Alan

Edited to avoid confusion.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 12:08:24 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Abe

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 04:19:54 AM »
Thanks Alan, do you mean between the black and red wires of light (not blue wires of horn)?

Abe

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 11:33:11 AM »
Hi Abe,

The Red wire is the switched battery feed for the lights and the Yellow wire is the battery supply for the horn and neither of these wires should be directly connected to ground or a short circuit would occur and burn out the wires in the harness if either of the switches were presssed. :o

The Black and Blue wires are both commonly connected ground wires which provide the return path for the current in the lights and horn circuits, and it is the thin harness wire connected to these wires that may cause the throttle problem, therefore it is these are the wires that you would need to connect the additional ground wire to, but only if you encounter the previously described throttle problem.

The eight wires in the harness are very thin and will therefore have a higher resistance than a thicker wire.
At very low current levels there is very little voltage drop through these thin wires, but as the current increases (by turning on the additional lights) there will be a much greater voltage drop across several feet of thin harness wires.

Of the eight thin harness wires, just one of them is used as a return path (ground wire) for the battery LED gauge, the throttle Hall sensor, both brake switches and the cruise control button in addition to the lights and horn.

If the lights and horn used a separate wire as the return path, the current flowing through it (and the associated voltage drop) would not affect the operation of the throttle.

When I first experience the throttle problem (the motor started running when the lights were turned on) I spoke to GM about it and they said it was probably electromagnetic interference from the LED driver unit that was upsetting the controller. But after I looked into it a bit deeper the reason soon became apparent.

If you would like a more technical explanation, please read the following:
The additional load causes a greater voltage drop throughout the entire feed and return circuit consisting of two thin wires (battery + and battery -) that start at the sealed multi-junction block by the motor and runs right through the harness to the multi-connector on the front harness (over 5' on my harness). From the front multi-connector, the battery feed continues up to the light switch and then back again (that's another 2' each way) before heading off to the light connections (another foot). The ground wire from the light connection then completes the circuit back to the multi-connector (another foot).
So (excluding the thicker wires on the light unit itself) the current has to travel along at least 18' of thin gauge wire, and if the difference between the measured battery voltage and the measured voltage across the two light connections was 3V (48V at battery but only 45V at the headlamp) this would equate to a 0.167V drop across each foot of wire.

The throttle Hall sensor also shares the same ground connection in the front multi-connector, which due to the voltage drop along the 5' long ground wire has been increased to 0.84V instead of 0V.
So instead of the throttle signal being ~1V, the same ~1V output has actually been increased by 0.84V in relation to the battery ground, which the controller is directly connected to though the thick battery cables.
Therefore the controller effectively receives a 1.84V throttle signal voltage (~1V + 0.84V) which is equivalent to ~30% throttle.

Alan

P.S.
I have a 10 watt LED headlamp wired directly to the lighting wires on my Smart Pie 4 and did not experience a problem with that bike with the lights turned on, so yours might work OK too.

EDIT: Photo links repaired
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 02:13:51 PM by Bikemad »