Author Topic: Magic Pie IV no go  (Read 316 times)

Offline ElectricStreet

• Confirmed
Magic Pie IV no go
« on: March 08, 2024, 08:07:28 PM »
Today I wanted to go for a ride and when I connected the power switch the lights of the thumb throttle lit but the depression of the button did nothing.  I checked the controller and all the numbers come up and I hadn't changed anything since last Saturday when I rode it.  Pleases give me some ideas I'm plumb dumb.  Mark

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie IV no go
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 11:03:42 PM »
Hi Mark,

Here are a few suggestions that may help:

Double check that all the connectors are properly plugged together, just in case a wire has been accidentally snagged/pulled whilst putting the bike away etc. or perhaps they were not fully plugged in initially. :-\

Make sure that all the wiring is safely secured away from moving parts i.e. the wheels/tyres, chainwheel, steering and suspension etc. to prevent them from being chaffed or crushed.

Make sure the controller's battery voltage setting is correct for your battery. If it is set to 36V and you are using a 48V battery, it may have worked last time if the battery was partially discharged and its voltage was below 50V.
The voltage of a fully charged 48V battery would be well above the 50V maximum that the 36V controller settings will safely allow, and the motor would therefore not be able to work.

Make sure both brake levers are fully released, as activating the regenerative braking function also disables the throttle.

Was is wet, raining or did you hose down the bike after your last ride? If so, it may be possible that some water has found its way into one of the connectors, or perhaps inside the thumb throttle unit itself.
If water was causing the throttle signal to be higher than expected, when the controller is switched on, the motor would be unable to run due to a safety feature of the controller that prevents the motor from running if the throttle is activated when the power is turned on.

Check out this thread for further information on how water can affect the throttle operation.

Hopefully you will find something obvious.

Alan

Offline ElectricStreet

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie IV no go
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 04:05:49 AM »
So I put both brake levers on the handlebars and the rear disc brake never got hooked up because I didn't get the correct parts from Golden and the rear brake lever was stuck open.  I guess that's pretty obvious isn't it?  I'm giving up on the disc brake idea for the rear who needs it? Front drum brake and regen is good enough.  So I'll remove that and eliminate the cause of that happening again.