General Category > Electric Boat Conversions

My boat conversion from diesel to el.

(1/8) > >>

BjornO:
First test with my new 5 kW motor with 300 A sine controller:
As a first test, I only connected the motor cables, the hall connector, a 5 kOhm pot to the throttle input and connected the ignition.
It beeps once and blinks red once. After a few seconds it beeps/blinks 12 times repeatedly. The voltage in is 50 V. The voltage at the throttle connector is 4.5 V.

Edited the subject so that I can use the same thread for all questions

Bikemad:
Hi Björn,

12 regular flashes indicates an abnormal throttle signal voltage (either too high or too low).

If the 4.5V at the throttle connector is on the signal wire (not the +5V wire) when you turn on the battery power, this would cause the error because the controller expects a throttle signal voltage of 0.8~1V with the throttle released, or 2.25~2.5V if the controller is set for a boat style throttle with forward/reverse and Neutral in the mid position.

A safety feature of the controller automatically prevents the motor from starting if the throttle is not fully released (or in the Neutral position) when the controller is initially powered up.

As you are using a potentiometer instead of a Hall effect throttle, the maximum and minimum signal output voltage is likely to go beyond the upper and lower limits that define the controller's acceptable working range, and this will probably cause the same error code 12.

Resistors could be placed inline on the +5v supply and the ground connection of the potentiometer to ensure the signal voltage remains within the required range.
I would suggest a 1.5k resistor on the ground wire and a 2k resistor on the +5V wire as shown below:

With a 4.5V supply this should hopefully give a working range output of between 0.8V and 3.5V from the potentiometer, or between 0.88V and 3.8V with a 5V supply.

Alan

EDIT: Diagram added

BjornO:
Thank you,
The 4.5 V is on the +5 V supply from the controller to the throttle. The throttle signal will be 0-4.5 V depending on the pot setting.
I will add those resistors and try again.
By the way, do you have a list of error codes for the controller?
Björn

Bikemad:
Hi Björn,

A list of the error codes can be found on page 5 of the VEC controller guide.

Alan

BjornO:
Hi Allan

with the resistors it works perfectly well. Next step will be building the throttle box for the boat.

Björn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version