Author Topic: NewB here. Some info on GM 500w rear motor + Foxpower 10AH Lifepo4  (Read 60849 times)

Offline ahend

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: NewB here. Some info on GM 500w rear motor + Foxpower 10AH Lifepo4
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 09:15:13 AM »

That sounds right in line with the standard controller that I have. I'm running 21mph on level ground with a fresh battery. I put in enough energy to maintain 23.5mph in the same conditions.

I run with an electronic throttle lock that kicks out when I touch the brake. What would happen if I did this with a regen controller, essentially dropping the throttle signal to 0V immediately? I’m assuming that would give full regen input. How quickly would it slow to a stop from full speed?

Thanks

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 01:14:55 PM »
I really can't answer that question 100% cuz things just did not werq the way I thought they would when I installed a momentary switch to the regen wires.  Nothing happened when I pressed and held it when moving but if I was at a complete stop then it changed state from no regen to regen all the time.  While in regen mode though letting go of the throttle abruptly will cause heavy braking but not charge the batts from what I have read. It's not going to put you over the bars but with no throttle a steep hill that usually takes me to 30mph drops me to about 20mph. I would estimate that the regen is like near 1/3 but less than 1/2 of your regular bike brakes. Letting off slowly and not all the way will have a bit less braking affect but will supply some return of electrons to the battery. I doubt it would be allot though. I do not even have my brake switches hooked up but do have a power switch handy if I need it. I'm riding around in or on the outskirts of town so there are cars and people to deal with quite often.  The regen works well it’s nice having a brake and throttle in the same place makes it easy to control yer speed always.   Hope my ramblings are of some use to you.  I'll test it out the way you are asking and let you know later today.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:18:24 PM by biohazardman »

Offline C1

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 05:49:26 PM »
biohazardman: How much did that 36v Foxxpower battery cost you, and is it 10ah or 20ah? There's no prices or checkout on their website, did you call them up and pay by credit card? Does the battery come from China or the USA?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm very interested in that Foxx battery! ;D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 05:55:17 PM by C1 »

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 07:52:56 PM »
I purchased the 10ah 36v pack for $350 a balancing charger and shipping brought it to $450. They answered my e-mail back then so made the sale.  Things have reversed now and Golden motors gave me a quick reply last week.  My last e-mail to Foxpower did not get a response.  I used Paypal for the purchase. Communication with Foxpower was not all that great and it took the battery near a month to get here so I was beginning to wonder. It ended up coming from China like all the rest although it is a good quality battery and werqs very well.    My purchase of the Golden motor kit was easier and communication was somewhat better.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 07:06:03 AM by biohazardman »

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 07:04:28 AM »

That sounds right in line with the standard controller that I have. I'm running 21mph on level ground with a fresh battery. I put in enough energy to maintain 23.5mph in the same conditions.

I run with an electronic throttle lock that kicks out when I touch the brake. What would happen if I did this with a regen controller, essentially dropping the throttle signal to 0V immediately? I’m assuming that would give full regen input. How quickly would it slow to a stop from full speed?

Thanks

OK did the test with the regen at about 20mph, on level ground, I let the throttle snap to the off position and it stopped all 260lbs of the bike and me in roughly 80ft.

Offline ahend

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 12:58:33 AM »
Thanks for the info biohazardman. It seems to me that the regen controller makes a fairly effective resistive braking system but based on other bits and pieces I have read, it does not add a whole lot of energy back into your pack. Perhaps there is just not enough inertia in normal riding situations.

As for the mile an hour difference in top speed, that would be hard to chalk up to just the controller.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 01:02:42 AM by ahend »

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 05:52:24 AM »
At 700+ mile range and the 13 gauge spokes, included in the GM kit, are beginning to break when I hit some of the larger bumps.  Just broke two spokes so far but have some 12gauge ordered.  I would love to have some 12 gauge stainless though but have not been able to find them for the GM and 26inch wheel. Used to do fine even went off a few curbs and over a street sign, the folding saw horse kind, somebody folded and threw in the middle of the street for me one night.  Building a decent LED bike light so that doesn't happen again although it was pretty exciting for a few seconds anyway.  I installed the torque arm a couple weeks back crummy hose clamp for now and used locktight on the axle nuts nothing has come loose since.  Got hold of one of the heavy duty kick stands with two legs as the other was a bit wobbly.  Had to file the hole on the bike out and make it a slot so I could move the new stand out about 1/4 inch so it would not hit the tire. Looks like the stand is a bit high and I will have to take care of that soon but it is strong and I don't worry if it will hold the bike up as I used to with the old one.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 04:30:29 AM by biohazardman »

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 07:56:19 AM »
Thanks for the info biohazardman. It seems to me that the regen controller makes a fairly effective resistive braking system but based on other bits and pieces I have read, it does not add a whole lot of energy back into your pack. Perhaps there is just not enough inertia in normal riding situations.

As for the mile an hour difference in top speed, that would be hard to chalk up to just the controller.

The braking and speed control is great for the city.  I read an interesting post on the ES forum bout someone burning up their controller and damaging their LifePo4 batteries with the regen.  He went down a long hill with fully charged bats and things fried.  Likely our batteries can't take what is available from the regen.  But still it remains the same, as you said, there is not much of a return energy wise.

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 04:15:09 AM »
At 1K miles no more spokes have broken still running around two down though. Would like to replace them all with the 12gauge stainless if I could find the right length.  The freewheel is dead it's been slipping under high loads and up hills for near a hundred miles now.  I am riding with no chain or derailleur’s installed on the bike as I am looking to replace the spokes, freewheel and deraileur all at the same time. Really don't want to pull the rear wheel twice as it is more than difficult for me to do. Have to give the bike a push to get started and acceleration is poor till I'm across the street or so then it picks up well. Managed 19 miles on the battery pack yesterday this way.  Had to walk up a couple of hills, I usually ride up, only about two blocks total though.
Saw a post by Geoff on the ES about a water proof remote throttle so wanting mine at least water resistant I removed the stock throttle and cut it down.  Then I put it in a box and mounted it under the battery.  Picked up a new pair of gripshifts for the five speed gear I now have in the rear, because of the GM motor, and the other for the new remote throttle. The front deraileur had already been removed as it was never used.  The front derailleur gripshift therefore had the detent spring removed and I hooked the cable to the old cut down throttle via custom made cable clamp affair.  I werqs very smooth and there are no wires routed to the front of the bike making it even more stealthy. Here are a few pics. Having a half pipe left hand throttle was annoying for only a few miles now it is normal.  If you really want to see how quiet these motors are, how far you can go on a charge or how they climb hills just pull your chain off.  Watch out though as it is not a quick thing to cross the street.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 04:27:57 AM by biohazardman »

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 03:43:51 PM »
Extremely clean installation there Biohazardman!  Sad to hear about the dead freewheel.  How difficult will the replacement be?

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 09:54:29 PM »
Thank you I tried to keep it as clean as I could and wanting keep the trottle dry helped allot. Have replaced freewheels before when I had two good arms, still have the tool, it was not that difficult then.  Will be a bit rough just to get the wheel off and more so to get the freewheel off without hurting myself.  Been waiting for a bit more strenth but it doesn't come so will figure out how an easier way or have it done as I love to ride.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 11:07:18 PM »
That is one noice looking EV.  I want Lifepo4's :(

The wife say NOOOOOOOOO!

Bring it on

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 06:13:00 AM »
I think the wife need something before you get Lifepo4s?  ;^)  Good luck

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 05:25:36 PM »
Perhaps you can convince her of a net savings long term after a few SLA replacements.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 07:05:23 PM »
Perhaps you can convince her of a net savings long term after a few SLA replacements.

SLA's in 18ah config should last between 3 to 5 years, plenty long enough.

I think the wife need something before you get Lifepo4s?  ;^)  Good luck

lol I already been there and she says NOOOOOO!

You have no idea the hell these gals create.  ::)

I'm ashamed to show the room they have destroyed in under a year.

They pulled all the paint off walls, destroyed 3 cots, pulled up the carpet, paint crap all over the paper lining on the plaster (whats left of the wall) and its like cement to remove .  Put a hole in the wall somehow I don't know! And they made it grow a big enough for them to hide in...

:'(
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 07:07:06 PM by Smeee »

Bring it on