Author Topic: TIRES TIRES TIRES!  (Read 38995 times)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Solid Tyres
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2012, 01:54:25 PM »
Anyone got a good suggestion for a bit more comfort on my dual pi, but max puncture resistance, short of Monkeys motorcycle tyres?

Have you considered using solid tyres?

Quote from: greentyre.co.uk
The Greentyre Company has its own in-house computerised design and testing facility.The Company offer a full design and testing facility to all their customers to ensure that Greentyres are right for the job they are required to do.

Combining the advances made in polyurethane technology over the past 60 years, together with computer controlled production and advanced design, Greentyre have made a comfortable puncture proof tyre a reality.

Greentyres do feel a little different. Riders using Greentyres for the first time will experience the difference.
On roads and tracks all pneumatics have a tendency to go "psssss" whereas Greentyres go on and on. You can say goodbye to puncture repair kits, inner tubes, pumps, levers and tools when you ride in confidence with a Greentyre

Greentyres are just as stable as traditional pneumatics with the added bonus that they will never go flat. Roll and Ride performance are achieved in the production process enabling us to control whatever particular characteristic the client requires. Soft, medium or hard compounds give Greentyres the ability to outperform pneumatics again and again.

Take a look at the fitting video to see exactly how they're fitted.

They appear to be the ideal solution, but has anyone here actually tried them?

Alan

« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:43:32 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: TIRES TIRES TIRES!
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 04:22:43 PM »
I got a beauty ATM.  Its called Cheng Shin Tyres, FLATFIGHTER, EPS casing.

Tried google my particular tyre and came up with blank.  But these are lined, puncture proof and have stiff rubber with a higher bag, and avoids bending in the corners. 

I was going through cheepies too fast. 

Spend $60 instead of $25 and the story changes dramtically.  This one has done hard time, maybe 8mths old now. 

Its been a long leason via my GF's proxy.  :-X 

You know, when you pick one thing and say we need this type, and we gotta buy the cheaper one because it looks the same quality, fools me too. 

Im allowed to say now, the better quality will save us much money in the long run and know it's true.   And we are feeling love in our lives again. 

A bad ebike tyre can make life just horrible. ::)

Life is so good when your Ebike has be performing smooth for so long.  Sighs.  8)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:26:10 PM by Les »

Bring it on

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2012, 01:00:08 PM »
On my Townie I have the "stock" tires that came with the bike. They are "Fat Frank" 26x2.35 ballon tires with Kevlar. Love the colour too! Sort of an off white. I think I'll look into a match for the Bob trailor. I wonder if the Fat franks come in 16 inch. That would really look good :)

Gary

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 01:50:52 PM »

Hi Gary.  Wow she looks great riding on fat franks  8)

How do the bags fair on those skinny rims? 

I Got a Maxis Holly Rollers and it seemed to roll almost as much side ways on corners as they did forward.  The tyres were hard to get onto the rims. 

The holly rollers were all tread with a crappy wall though.

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2012, 02:08:26 PM »
Last time I looked this shocked >  :o   was when someone threw a basket ball in my face. The Emoti sort of doesnt match the emotion. LOL

Bring it on

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 02:10:54 PM »
Hi Les, Nice talking with you again :)

The original rims were a half inch wider then the pie rims. The max PSI for the tires is 60 and I was running 30 in the front and 40 in the rear. I did notice a bit of tire roll but nothing drastic. when I put on the trailor I pumped the rear up to 50 PSI. Everything seems fine now, but I do not push it to the limits when cornering. The only real issue I had was since the rims are thinner the brake shoes had to travel farther causing the arms of the brakes to rub on the tire when applied. I since added a few washers behind the shoes and everything is fine now. I have full regen on both wheels so I don't need the brakes much anyway. One thing I did notice with the MP3 is regen works right down to a dead stop. With the MP2 regen only worked down to about 10kph, then nothing.

Gary

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 02:14:05 PM »
Gary.  Yer I noticed a lot of issues whn I had a lot of weight on the bilke with them SLAs.  Have you seen my off road vid I posted.  I tend to ride a bit crazy at times.

Bring it on

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2012, 06:34:49 PM »
No I have not seen it. Did you post the link some where?

Gary

Offline OzGeeksGarage

• Confirmed
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2013, 07:43:46 AM »
Cool stuff, luckily I got the spoked aluminium rim 20" SmartPie and the factory cheeze cutters fit my trike fine, though I'm thinking of uprading to some wider BMX tyres soon as it lacks traction uphill at times :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 07:59:26 PM by OzGeeksGarage »
Please excuse my crappy typing, I'm partially blind

Offline sixty_cycle_hum

• Confirmed
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2013, 07:28:21 PM »
I am running 26 x 2.5 Maxxis Hookworms at about 50psi for low rolling resistance. They're huge, and hard to fit through linear pull brakes unless deflated some, but they seem to fit just right in both of my frames.  Tons of volume, so pressure is really stable, and will take a big hit of a curb.  Have not had a "snake bite" flat with these ever.

They are sticky enough on anything dry.  Wet wooden bridges have not been attempted, but I suspect disaster if they are.  Too big for a front fender on this fork.  Need to figure something out.

http://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-Hookworm-Urban-Beaded-26x2-5/dp/B000A8NQQC

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2013, 03:14:01 PM »
It seems the most common rim size that people have trouble finding tires for are the 20 Inch rims. I have never used a 20 inch rim so I have no experience at what actually fits. It seems about 1 person in 20 can't find the right size tire so there must be a lot of people that are finding them. If anyone out there is using a 20 inch GM rim it would be great if you could post what tire size you are using. It would be help full to many people.

Thanks in advance!

Gary

Offline MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2013, 10:25:43 AM »
I am using only Schwalbe high performance tires, no problem at all.
Only the price is......:-(

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2014, 10:57:07 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I thought I would throw this in as tire size issues seem to still arise from time to time.

The following is taken from a recent conversation where the customer has a 26x 1 3/8 tire that does not fit a 26 inch rim. He was also getting the kit before the bike. Unusual but is does happen.

"I have more clarity on the sizing issue. If the tire has 26 inch printed on it and the second measurement is in decimal form it will fit any 26 inch rim. If it is in fraction form it is an outdated French standard and will most likely be impossible to find a rim that will fit it.

So for example

26 x 1.75 will fit any standard North American 26 inch rim
26 x 1 3/4 is and outdated French standard really only Common in Japan now.

To test this theory I stopped at Canadian tire. All ninety one bikes on display with 26 inch tires had the second measurement in decimal form. Which means all rims would be the North American standard for 26 inch rim. In ISO the rim would measure 559.

I looked on Sheldon brown and he calls the 559 standard a mountain bike rim size. But every different style of bike at Canadian tire had that size rim. I then called my local bike shop and asked them. They also told me all there bikes on display (over 400) all have the tire sizes in digital format except for some odd ball European bikes. Replacement rims for those bike are special order and very expensive.

Since most people are buying bikes with common North American standard bike rims I guess that's why I have never heard of a 26 inch tire not fitting. It is very uncommon to have a non standard size.

So in conclusion if you keep that 26 x 1 3/8 tire you are going to have a very hard time getting a rim to fit it. I would return that tire and get a tire in 26 inch in digital format like 26 x 2.215 to 26 x 2.55. Anything less then 26 x 2.215 will be a very rough ride at 32kph or higher.

Or a tire that has 700c or 29 x digital format number (no fraction).

I would still recommend 26 inch as it's such a common standard with tons of options in tire width and tread."

Gary