Author Topic: TIRES TIRES TIRES!  (Read 39404 times)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: TIRES TIRES TIRES!
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 06:44:52 AM »
Okay I got some tubes today, I took my wheel down and when I told the tyre dealer it was for my bicycle he nearly fell over laughing haha

Can't find my camera charger arghhhhhhhhh

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 06:54:16 AM »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 08:57:04 PM »
Okay I got some tubes today, I took my wheel down and when I told the tyre dealer it was for my bicycle he nearly fell over laughing haha

Can't find my camera charger arghhhhhhhhh

Look behind all those bottles piled up all over the table and counter tops. ;)

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 08:22:22 AM »
Lol true, I need to put a key finder on that thing...

Anyway its still lost haha

I measured the wheel, I had to take it up in the car to the service station to fill the tyres, the tubes I got have metal threads with locking nuts that keep the tube in place.

Wheel measures 22" now from ground to top, so I have increased 2" in height. Cool.

When fitting the wheel, it has a message on the side saying to use a tube with rim that uses tubes.

Looking around for right angle valve attachments so I can fill the tyres at home, I noticed normal motorcycle rim valves.

Honestly, the way these tyres fitted - I had to press VERY firmly with my foot, and would have been better off with a tyre lever. They were that tight of a perfect fit, I put the rear one on checking the direction, but forgot with the front !!

So when I took the front off, it actually 'popped' off before I flipped it around to the correct direction (directional tyres)

I might even try getting some snap in valves and not run tubes altogether, Tom from GM came back to me when I first bought the wheel saying "it suits 2.5" / 20" bicycle tire" No it doesn't.... Lol its a 16" motorcycle size rim so I would be putting some cash down I could possibly run these tubeless.

I'll stick with the tubes anyway, they aren't too heavy and I'm sure it provides some added protection.

So 22" height it is. The 50mm increase is just about all rubber too haha

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 04:32:03 PM »
22 inches, thats great, will you be able to use your pedals again?

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 05:15:14 AM »
Hey I forgot to answer that one Gary sorry...
YES I can use pedals now :D Woohoo

Not just because of the tyres, but mainly due to changing the rear suspension spring from 150mm to 220mm, this gave me HUGE clearance for pedals, but changed my ride height so it won't corner as good but at least its safe.

Cheers

Offline Electrobent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 05:55:20 PM »
I needed tires for 26 inch rims, I needed them for a heavy rider with trailor and gear so I went for something thicker then most

My tires are 26 x 2.125. That seems about as thick as I can go and still use my fenders.

I keep the front tire at about 25 pounds and the rear at 35. Gives a soft smooth ride.

I know its counter-intuitive but for weight you want the skinny, high pressure tires.  I run Geax Street Racer 26 x 1.25 at 100 psi on the rear.  Not a smooth ride but the pot holes don't snake-bite the tubes either.

I am pleased that GM went with the narrower wheel when I bought my second wheel.

--Eric

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 01:42:02 AM »
There are a few things I don't like about skinny tires. One is they always seem to leak air if the bike sits for any thime at all. Maybe its just bad luck or bad tires but I have gone though alot of them as they never seem to hold high pressure air for long. Also with the extreme wieght of my ride they do hit the rims even with max air pressure in them. Maybe it will be different with my dual mini motor ride as it has lighter motors. I am also thinking of placing the battery in the trailor to help as well. But truthfully the real issue is not the wieght of the bike, motors or batteries. It is the load in the seat! ::)

Gary

Offline Electrobent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 05:19:16 AM »
Yeah, my 100 lb rear tire is at 80 at the end of a ride, but it has hit some pretty bad pot hole edges with my 245 # ass on top of it.  I guess its just a lot harder to contain 100 psi of air than 25.

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 11:34:28 AM »
I think my pizza cutter is 1.25" ;)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 01:06:03 AM »
Recently I was asked what fits on the 16 inch Magic Pie. I had a 16x1.75 tire on mine originally, now I have a 16 x .2.25.

Gary

Offline Henry Chang

• Confirmed
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 04:08:47 AM »
Very big, very thick tire, a bit like motorcycle tyres, Loaded with the amount of good

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 08:20:51 PM »
i've got 2.35 on my 26",  but am tempted to try 2.50 on one of my frames as there is room for this width.  One day when I have the funds I would like to try Maxxis Hookworm tyres.. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5847

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »

The local supplier told me to look for the INSIDE diameter, not the overall diameter - as I could find a much better fit.
GM 20" cast wheel = 16" Inside diameter. Searching for this size has generated many more options.

After just helping a person with finding a tire to fit his cast 20 inch wheel I read this post and went to google to search for tires. I found this link.

http://cyclocamping.com/blog/2015/08/01/what-do-size-markings-on-bicycle-tires-mean/

This is excelant in describing the issues people have with finding appropriate tires. The ETRTO standard of measuring tires by the inside diameter is far better then the Imperial standard of measuing tires by the outside diameter. If you look at this link you can see that tires are available in 7 different inner diameter measurments and they still are considered 20 inch tires.

Gary
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:26:49 PM by Bikemad »

Offline SydneyCommuter

• Confirmed
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 12:27:09 PM »
Gary good idea starting a thread on tyres, getting the right combo of roll,weight, comfort, puncture resist is making of a happy riding, when I started commuting on my one man power cycle some idiot at a bike shop flogged me some super slick 26 tyres that popped a flat every other trip, enough to have you throw in t towel pretti quick, if I new then what I know now!
 Guys my major requirement is puncture proof, priority 1 thru 5!
Traveling 28km ea way the last thing I need is to get a flat, I think of the effort to get my tires on in the comfort of my guarage, I'd hate to be fighting my pi off the back at the side of the road.
Since I went for schwalbe marathons no puncture yet and that's quite a few hard kms. As the dual pi has power to burn, roll resistance and weight are not in the equation , so i'm looking for something with more air. 
My dual mini lightweight build I've gone with the marathon 1.5's. As power is limited.
Anyone got a good suggestion for a bit more comfort on my dual pi, but max puncture resistance, short of monkeys motorcycle tyres?
Cheers