Author Topic: TIRES TIRES TIRES!  (Read 39606 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
TIRES TIRES TIRES!
« on: October 08, 2010, 01:05:57 PM »
I see posts about tires in different threads all over the forum. Maybe it would be more helpfull if dedicate a thread to this topic.

So what tires do you use on what rim?

What pressure do you run it at?

Where did you find it?

Is there a link you can provide to us?

Ill start with mine. I needed tires for 26 inch rims, I needed them for a heavy rider with trailor and gear so I went for something thicker then most

My tires are 26 x 2.125. That seems about as thick as I can go and still use my fenders.

I keep the front tire at about 25 pounds and the rear at 35. Gives a soft smooth ride.

I buy most of my tires at Canadain Tire

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/BikesAccessories/BicycleAccessories.jsp?locale=en

unfortunatly the website does not list all the tires available in the store.

Gary
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 01:09:32 PM by GM Canada »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: TIRES TIRES TIRES!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 07:07:26 PM »
Yes true but I think I'm possible in a different category?

I can find few metric tires but none that are the width I want (3"+)

Gary, do you stock any of the cast wheels or the 'Cleaver' bike - could you possibly tell me the tires on that?

yay

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 07:26:24 PM »
Please let's not make different catagories. The common sizes like mine are easy to find. This thread really is for people with uncommon sizes like yourself. Hopefully people that do find tires will post where they found them here. Sorry I have every size rim in stock but nothing comes with a tire on it.

Gary

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Wide Tires!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 12:06:05 AM »
I can find few metric tires but none that are the width I want (3"+)

3"+ is very wide!

Take a close look at these 20 x 4.25" tires:

Click the above images for more info.

Monkey, a 4.25" wide tire is really much too wide for your wheel:

I reckon those 20 x 2.3" Curb Monkeys would be ideal:

What size are you using at the moment?

Alan

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 12:29:46 AM »
Please let's not make different catagories. The common sizes like mine are easy to find. This thread really is for people with uncommon sizes like yourself. Hopefully people that do find tires will post where they found them here. Sorry I have every size rim in stock but nothing comes with a tire on it.

Gary

Gary collect the links to the sizes that matter and update the first post, I would do it but it not my op. So too this information doesn't get lost in the middle of 20 pages.  This way you can have the common sizes herein too in one post.

Whoooah those 20 x 4.25" tires are like, hmm.

Awesome.

Bring it on

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 07:20:52 AM »
i've just bought these... Schwalbe Big Apple KevlarGuard Tyre 26 x 2.35

from here http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4307&cPath=450

I cannot give any impressions yet as only one is fitted and the other is awaiting the pie wheel.

i have it pumped to 40psi on front, I expect to have at least this psi in the rear.  it's a nice fat tyre 8)

i probably would have bought these if I had seen them first, I think Alan has them on his bike.....
...... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/26-Schwalbe-Crazy-Bob-Slick-MTB-Bike-Dirt-Street-Tyres-/120608922001?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1c14da1991   "wrap around tread" - nice! :)

Andrew

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Wide Tires!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 10:25:20 AM »
What size are you using at the moment?

Alan

Hi Alan, yes the stingray tires are a bit out of the question (how do people pedal with those things!!) and I am running standard 20"x2.125 freestyles. When I turn a corner at speed I can feel the tire roll, and pumping it past ~35PSI the tire will egg and I end up having a fllintstones ride.... I get way too many flats with these tires too.

I really just want something around 3", but those curb monkeys are looking a treat, I think they will suit well. More and more I am finding that 2.5" will be the limit for the bead seat measurement in some metric tires I've found. Still really want some way of fitting them first.

Running a standard wheel on the back for the interim until I fix the rear pie, I am noticing the huge difference in ride quality as the back wheel (standard bmx rim) has a tire at ~50PSI and the front is ~30PSI

I couldn't really notice that with both wheels on a low pressure, I'm sure I could get upto 5km/h better top speed with better rolling resistance.

Curb Monkeys !!

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 05:23:13 PM »
One thing to think about when it comes to wide tyres is a suitably rim. Even if the tyre probably will fit as long as the bead size diameter is correct, a too narrow rim will most certainly make the bike unstable. To avoid that, you have to inflate it too much and increase the risk for a flat.

I changed the rim to a 46 mm wide Sun Ringle Double Wide for my 24 x 3” tyre.

Peter
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 01:01:26 AM »
too narrow rim will most certainly make the bike unstable. To avoid that, you have to inflate it too much and increase the risk for a flat.

Peter

Yes I used a 26X3 Holly Roller on a narrow rim and it was crappy, used to give out under the rim around corners.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 01:03:12 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 09:25:19 PM »
Hey chaps

This will apply to anyone with a cast, or smaller GM wheel. However, there are MANY options available for a heap of wheel options and different vehicle types.

I have continued my hunt.... And by word of mouth from a local supplier here - recommended contacting SAVA tires. He passed me a website and told me to write back to him with my size preference.

The local supplier told me to look for the INSIDE diameter, not the overall diameter - as I could find a much better fit.
GM 20" Casted wheel = 16" Inside diameter. Searching for this size has generated many more options.

So if you live in Europe, bonus!! And you are probably laughing at my post wondering why I had never heard of them before.

Anyway it is really difficult to find different tire options in Australia, so I assumed other people could have the same problem elsewhere.
Here's their site in Europe, and they have WW presence.

http://www.savatech.eu/tyres

I've been recommended these for my cast 20" wheels:
2 1/2 -16    42 J    TL/TT REINF.    
2 3/4 -16    46 J    TL/TT REINF.    

16" inside diamter, 2.5inch for front, 2.75inch for the rear. They look super sporty but not sure what they will be like in the wet. I take it easy anyway and prefer the 'slicker' look

http://www.savatech.eu/tyres/moped/sport.html

Cheers MM

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 01:55:59 AM »
My bad that came out wrong.  Ooops!

What I am saying is Im glad you found your new shoes for your MP.

I'll take a look at that site myself and see if I can make any improvements on my stock Snake Pie tires,
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 02:39:54 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 04:40:50 AM »
huh what came out wrong?

:D

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: TIRES TIRES TIRES!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 03:29:53 PM »
Okay so a day or 2 after posting my last post in this topic, I spoke with a Sava dealer here is Oz and he ordered a couple of tyres for me. That's back in November and he was just ordering a new shipment of tyres and got a hold of some for me. Not sure if you can get anything like this in Australia, but from all the tyre dealers I've spoken to, they all said to goto Sava for my wheel...

I notice today that's quite a long wait for tyres... But holey crap who cares!!!

Check this out....

Thats my original BMX tyre on the left, and 2 new tyres on the right.

Both tyres are 16" inside diameter tyres that fit the cast 20" wheels PERFECTLY. A normal BMX or bicycle tyre I find you can nearly hoola hoop over the cast wheel, when I trial fitted the big mother I nearly needed a tyre lever to get it on there.

I tried to show the difference here:

(BMX tire on top, new Sava 'moped' tyres underneath)

You can tell a bit the inside diameter is larger on the bicycle tyre compared to what I have now. This meant I had to run low pressure in my wheels since I've had them - as fully inflated my standard BMX tyres would 'balloon' making me bounce up and down like a cowboy.. And I like tacos not sausages so that wasn't for me haha

I have 2.5" for front, 2.75" for rear just as I posted in November:
2 1/2 -16    42 J    TL/TT REINF.   
2 3/4 -16    46 J    TL/TT REINF.

These are some serious tyres and I just need to goto a tyre dealer tomorrow for some decent tubes. No idea if they will increase or decrease my speed. They are overall bigger (taller) but they are heaps heavier. They are however, speed rated at 150km/h so that's a good thing in case my bike gets struck by lightning one day, at least my tyres will be okay with the speed lol

Anyway YAY - it worked out. Personally I know the 16" and 18" cast wheels work fine with bicycle/other general tyres but these 20" wheels were a real head scratcher..

Haha look at the difference:
Before.... (inflated)

After ;) (not inflated....)

The wheel apparently can take upto a 3" version of these, but I was scared about chain room.. I'm still thinking I have to get a 5 speed rear freewheel and space it out from the hub with this chunka on there...

You can get different tread versions but I wanted this style, you will see once I finish re-building the bike :)

http://www.savatech.eu/tyres

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:12:20 AM by MonkeyMagic »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 05:20:11 PM »
WTF! :o :o :o :o

they are the Mutz Nutz!

Those are what you call NAUGHTY!

Bloody Marvelous :D :D :D

PHWOAR!!

I love rubber ;)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 10:03:46 PM »
Wow! Nice tires. Can you get out a measuring tape? I am very curious as to what the height of the wheel is with that tire on. Once inflated can you measure from the ground up to the very top of the tire. I am wondering how close you are getting to the overall height of a regular 26 inch tire.

Gary