Author Topic: VEC300 14 beep error message?!  (Read 9736 times)

Offline Tyson

• Confirmed
VEC300 14 beep error message?!
« on: May 25, 2018, 07:17:16 PM »
Hi

I have a 5kw motor connected to the VEC300 conttroller and it is behaving very erratically.

1. As soon as I power the controller via E-lock it signals a 14 beep error message. The error code table doesn't have a 14 beep code, so I have no idea what this means.

2. The throttle voltage ranges appropriately from 0.56V to 4.15V as I move the throttle from o position to 100% position. The motor only starts moving at 2.25V and accelerates as I approach 4.15. The crazy thing is when the voltage goes below 2.25V the motor reverses direction and accelerates as I approach 0V. Although below 0.5V the motor will then stop and not move again until I restart the controller. As long as I don't go to 0.5V I can increase/decrease speed and change direction indefinitely.

3. The 14 beep error message stop once the throttle voltage goes over 2.5 (motor starts moving) and starts again after the throttle voltage goes below 0.5V.

And as an aside does anyone have a good document corresponding to the parameter list.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: VEC300 14 beep error message?!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 09:46:09 PM »
Hi Tyson andto the forum.

1. 14 regular flashes indicates a throttle problem.

2. You appear to have the throttle selected for boat use where a centre Neutral throttle is used allowing progressive Forward and Reverse either side of the centre position.
Change the throttle mode selection to 1:Linear instead of 0:Hyperbola and it should cure the problem.

3. With the boat style throttle, the controller checks for a throttle signal voltage of ~2.25~2.5V before it will allow the motor to operate. This avoids any unfortunate incidents that could otherwise occur when turning on the power while full throttle is applied.  :o

0.5V seems a bit low for the throttle, as most Hall type throttles are 0.8~1V at rest and 3.5~4.25 at maximum throttle.
I suspect that 0.5V is triggering a low voltage fault as it is outside the expected range.
You may be able to prevent this from happening by lowering the Throttle minimum valid voltage (V) to ~0.4V.

There is also a parameter setting that allows you to choose between Hall Sensor and Potentiometer throttle types, so make sure this is set for your particular throttle type.

Unfortunately, there are no good documents corresponding to the parameter list.  :(

Please let us know if this cures your problems.

Alan

Offline Tyson

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 10:30:29 AM »
Awesome with a quality response so fast! Unfortunately, my problem is not solved yet.

I am using the foot pedal throttle sold by GM, which I think is a potentiometer type.
-At rest: 0.56V
-At max: 4.15V
-Voltage range from rest to max (0.56->0.0->4.15) (voltage drops first before increasing)

I think I now have the throttle parameters set right. Although no matter what I do I can't get it out of hyperbole mode.  I have tried every combination of shutting off power and downloading that I can think of. When I upload the parameters, it shows "linear", but it still acts with a hyperbole function (rotation in both directions).

Tyson

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 01:00:04 PM »

I am using the foot pedal throttle sold by GM, which I think is a potentiometer type.

Is this yours, FSC-010?  If so it is a hall effect type. Better description HERE.

...And maybe just a slip of the magnet or hall sensor position? Arm stop adjustment?  :)

See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build  HERE.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 01:35:30 PM »
When I upload the parameters, it shows "linear", but it still acts with a hyperbole function (rotation in both directions).

It sounds like you may have a problem with the controller (unless the software is not 100% compatible and is altering a different parameter :-\).

Which version of the PI-800 programming software are you using?

Alan

Offline Tyson

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 08:29:34 PM »
Success ;D!

Changing the throttle type to Hall Effect was the final change that was required. I think it rather strange that the throttle type parameter affected the controller function in this way (the voltage input was the same regardless). But then again without any decent documentation to read its quite difficult to understand exactly what the parameters do and affect, how the system works and to solve all potential problems.

If GM is listening a much more complete and comprehensive manual is required!!

Thanks so much for the amazingly quick and on point answers. You guys rock!

Offline Tyson

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 07:19:13 PM »
I now have my complete system (5kW motor, VEC-300 controller, 48VDC battery bank) installed in my sailboat. I have some new problems that I would appreciate help with. (Not sure if I should be starting a new thread or not).

Problem 1: Error message as soon as I switch on regenerating braking (throttle error). This happens in both forward and reverse. The message stops immediately when I switch off regen. The error message is present with the regen option enabled or disabled. I did not have this problem with the system set up on my test bench and everything is connected the same (think so anyways).

Problem 2: Speed accelerates to maximum as soon as the throttle is engaged. No difference is observed between 5% and 100% throttle position. I have "Starting Current" set 10A.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 11:56:21 PM »
I'm not sure what is going on with the throttle error message during regen. 
Do you have the regen switch wired to the correct brake signal and ground wires on the controller?

The motor spinning up to maximum speed at low throttle is usually because there is insufficient load on the motor.

The controller uses torque/current sensing to regulate the power going the motor, and with insufficient load on the motor it will be able to rev up fully with relatively low current draw.

If your prop is not in the water (or the pitch and/or diameter of the blades is not large enough) the controller will be unable to control the speed of the motor.

Alan

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 12:05:06 PM »

… installed in my sailboat. Did not see that coming! :D

Following Tommycat rules of troubleshooting... always fix the obvious first.

-Voltage range from rest to max (0.56->0.0->4.15) (voltage drops first before increasing)

0.5V seems a bit low for the throttle, as most Hall type throttles are 0.8~1V at rest and 3.5~4.25 at maximum throttle.

From your output readings we know that the throttle is not acting correctly. As usual Alan's remarks are right on, and the write up on the throttle also states 0-5vdc output... You should never start positive, then go to 0 and then back up.

I was attempting to point this out with my somewhat cryptic message... :-\  But since all appeared well let it go.

...And maybe just a slip of the magnet or hall sensor position? Arm stop adjustment?  :)

So somethings afoot with the throttle!  ::) :D With your meter back probing between the throttles ground and sensor output. Just put a temporary stop behind the footpedal to keep it from going past .8vdc on the return stroke. Then you should have a smooth output of .8vdc to 4.15vdc. Then check to see if this helps. If it does... open up the throttle and check for problems, possible adjustments, or just return it for warranty replacement. 

Is regen required to fully stop the motor for shifting directions?

Offline Tyson

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 01:09:53 PM »
Hi

Tommycat you were right previously regarding a loose magnet on the Hall Sensor. I have since opened up the throttle and adjusted/tightened the magnet. So now I have a correct throttle output voltage. So I don't think the throttle is a remaining problem.

When I engage the throttle and max speed is reached almost immediately, my battery monitor shows 60A. So at 48VDC that's 2.88kW power output and the boat is cruising along. So the motor is loaded 58% of nominal power. That doesn't seem to be a low torque situation to me??
When the motor was on the test bench and completely unloaded I was able to control speed down to very low RPM's.

Any thoughts?

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 01:55:06 PM »

I would re-verify the throttle output at the controller after installation. To see if it stays within specs, and see if it changes with regen on... 

Offline Tyson

• Confirmed
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 01:00:23 PM »
I now have almost everything working correctly.

1. The default rotation direction as been reversed.
2. Speed control works as it should.
3. Reverse switch works.
4. Cruise function works.

Although I still have a problem with regen/braking.
There are only 2 "brake/regen" wires and I have them connected directly to an external switch. The voltage across the terminals at the controller are 3V (switch opened) and 0V (switch closed). The throttle voltage is unaffected by operation of the brake/regen switch. But I still receive an error message of 15 beeps the instant I close the regen switch. This happens regardless of whether the regen function is enabled or disabled. The regen parameters are set at Max Charging Voltage = 60V and Max Charging Current = 80A.
The voltage for the cruise funtion is also 3V, although it says 5V for both in some of the documentation.

I would love to get this final detail solved and complete the installation.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 12:33:31 AM »
Do you have the regen switch wired to the correct brake signal and ground wires on the controller?

There are only 2 "brake/regen" wires and I have them connected directly to an external switch.

With an external switch, you should be using the Blue/White brake signal wire from pin 16 on one contact, and one of the ground wires (pin 4, 5, 6, 21 or 26) on the other brake switch contact.

The Yellow/White +12V Brake signal wire from pin 15 should only be used if an existing switched 12V brake light supply is available to operate the regen.

You should only be using one of the two available "Brake" wires, not both of them. ;)

Alan

Offline Tyson

• Confirmed
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 10:51:46 AM »
Hi

The "two" wires I was refering to were the black and blue/white ones. They are the ones in the cable harness that have a label with "Brake" on them. The cable harness I received did not include any wires for the optional 12V brake function.

I have tested further and the regen/brake function actually works when I flip my external switch. The motor slows down and a charging current is produced. (This is while I am sailing. The charging current was a little under 1A.)

So as far as I can tell every function works as it should. The only issue now is that under regen the controller continually produces a 15 beep error message. I would really like to know what that error message specifically refers to, but it is not included in the error code table. Does anybody know what it means?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 11:54:41 PM »
I think that the 15 regular flashes are basically used to indicate that the brakes are applied.

In most applications, if the motor refused to run when the throttle was operated, the constant 15 regular flashes would indicate that there was either a problem with a momentary brake switch stuck in the "ON" position, or there was a short circuit fault somewhere on the brake switch wiring, but in your particular application, it will serve as a reminder that your regen switch is still turned on.  ;)

I have a BAC-601 Smart Display unit fitted to a Magic Pie 4:

Mine displays an "Error 1" code (brake lever failure) every time the brakes are operated.

Alan