Author Topic: New Member with questions about the Magic Pie Edge  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Dave D

• Confirmed
New Member with questions about the Magic Pie Edge
« on: July 11, 2018, 12:02:37 PM »
Help,    Stupid English bloke with daft question alert.!!!!

Hi Im Dave from the uk, was looking to convert my giant roam rear cassette 700c rear wheel to Magic Pie edge,but the uk dealer only has freewheel and front in stock,and im impatient...oh I only ride tracks mainly off-road..

so can anybody tell me if the front 700c wheel with hydraulic disc,will be OK, worried about clearance of the caliper on motor,and power through front wheel,

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: New Member with questions about the Magic Pie Edge
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 12:40:41 AM »
Hi Dave andto the forum, whereabouts in the UK are you located?

I think rear wheel drive is the best option, especially for use on off-road tracks, and I would choose the freewheel version along with a suitable freewheel with a wide gear range (11-34) even if it means replacing the gear change mechanism and having fewer gears on the rear.

I received a pre-production cassette version of the MP Edge and was not happy with the axle attachment, which is why it has not been fitted to the bike that was purchased specifically for it.

I am still waiting for sufficient spare time (and renewed enthusiasm) to modify the axle to allow a dedicated torque arm to be fitted, as shown in this post.

I'm also hoping that I will be able to modify the axle (as shown below) to allow the bike's original quick release skewer to be used:

If my calculations are correct, the quick release skewer should be able to clamp the axle tight enough to prevent any vertical movement within the dropouts under full power.  ;)

Regarding the clearance on the front hydraulic caliper, you may experience a clearance problem if the hydraulic brake caliper has pistons on both sides of the disc (or a very thick casting on the non-piston side), but I don't know what size gap there is on a front MP Edge.

A pair of suitable torque arms should also be fitted to prevent the axle from breaking the fork's dropouts.

Alan

Offline Dave D

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 12:56:40 AM »
Hi Alan,
Thanks for that info, this is what I am thinking as I do have a donor giant with a freewheel and derailleur that I can rob, although in a way downgrading the system it should work ok. yes the caliper is double piston type, oh well I will get it ordered today later on...  what battery would you recommend, I presume 48v to get the best out of it, but I mean down-tube or rack? dealer in london says tiger shark 17.5ah.

Thanks again... oh im up in the "potteries"  kidsgrove near stoke-on-trent

Offline Dave D

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 12:34:27 PM »
Alan,
 I've bitten the bullet and ordered the rear freewheel version, along with the tiger shark 48v 17.5ah  down-tube battery, so while waiting,are the bottle holing screws strong enough to hold this size of battery,or should I put in bugger riv-nuts? :-\ :-\
Thanks for any more advise..

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 09:32:49 AM »
Hi Dave,

I have not tried a tiger shark battery so I don't know how well the mounting bracket fits against the frame.
If the mounting bracket is a good fit on the downtube, the mounting bolts should only have to hold it in place and should not be subjected to bracket movement and/or bending forces.
But if the bracket only rests on the top surface of the Rivnut it would not be a very secure mounting method and over time, I would expect the Rivnuts to eventually crack the frame around the fixing holes due to metal fatigue.

I don't know how easily Rivnuts can be removed, but drilling them out (or grinding their heads off) would leave most of the Rivnut's body rattling inside the frame and most likely end up into the bottom bracket housing.

Alan

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 01:06:39 PM »
I had to grind out the back of my bottle battery mounting bracket to get it to fit over the too tall mounts. And also added an extra one.

For more pictures and how to install Rivnuts see posts #9 and #27 HERE!

EDIT
Direct links added
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:37:10 AM by Bikemad »
See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build  HERE.

Offline Dave D

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 02:58:46 PM »
Thanks again Alan and Tommycat, Starting the fit,got derailleur shiffter battery fitted,but trying to fit the PAS and don't know where to wire into,searching now but if anyone knows please save me time, many thanks to both of you,all excited now .. :P

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 07:49:25 PM »
The pedelec sensor connects to the Red, Black and Yellow wires on the short cable without a connector on the motor harness, details are shown at the top of the diagram below:

Alan

Offline Dave D

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 01:07:32 PM »
Thanks for that again Alan,had found that same pic yesterday afternoon,and all up and working, just need some extra washers for rear spindle,as had to space rear disc slightly,searching now for the bluetooth pin...must be here somewhere lol...

Offline Dave D

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 01:25:41 PM »
getting there...

Offline Gregor

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 10:12:17 AM »
Riding a Magic Pie3 for 6 years. Your bottle dropouts will shear right out of your frame, even just from your scooter falling on it's side. The battery. Heavy man. Jubilee clips, or hose clips for sure.
having no practical effect or useful result is futile