Author Topic: Need settings and software for Magic Pie4, please  (Read 17273 times)

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Need settings and software for Magic Pie4, please
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2018, 01:42:53 PM »
Just a thought on the PAS working while pedaling backwards...  Any chance that the magnetic ring had been accidently flipped during removal and reinstallation. As flipping the ring with the opposite side (opposite magnet polarity) to face the sensor should correct this issue. May be worth a try.
See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build  HERE.

Offline Maya

• Confirmed
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2018, 06:59:21 PM »
Hi Alan and Tommycat:

just a thought on the PAS working while pedaling backwards...  Any chance that the magnetic ring had been accidently flipped during removal and reinstallation. As flipping the ring with the opposite side (opposite magnet polarity) to face the sensor should correct this issue. May be worth a try.

How I told before the system of magnets  of my trike is different ( see pictures in this post) I can't  flip the magnetic ring because it's not a ring, not flat.

But I changed for the Goldenmotor ring today( see picture)like Alan told me , it works but not like before , I mean there is electric assistance but when I pedal( forward) it pulls me . that could be because the screen led doesn't work and I can't change the assistance power (1,2,3,4,5) ?

I have no news from goldenmotor china about the firmware of my new Magic Pie 5 controller  :'(

thank you for your help.

Have a nice day both.

Maya

Offline Maya

• Confirmed
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2018, 01:06:10 PM »
Hi There:

goldenmotor china reply me, they told me  that my Magic Pie 5 controller is  INT-MP5/SMP5/EDGE  VEC V5.3.1, I hope it can help to find a solution if someone have an idea.

Thank you so much guys

Have a nice day.

Maya

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2018, 05:19:52 PM »
Without replacing the BAC-601 Smart Display unit for the later version (which should be compatible with your later MP5 controller) you are unlikely to be able to select different levels of assistance during the ride like you could before.

You will therefore only have a single "fixed" level of assistance, which can only be adjusted by changing the "PAS Ratio (0.1 Times)" value using the USB programming lead and a PC or the Bluetooth dongle and a suitable Android phone.

If the controller is working correctly using the throttle, it presumably has the correct MP5 firmware installed, but the V5.3.1 controller is capable of being reflashed if the motor (not the pedelec function) is not working correctly.

Alan

Offline Maya

• Confirmed
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2018, 06:48:26 PM »
Hi Alan:
thanks for you replay.

You will therefore only have a single "fixed" level of assistance, which can only be adjusted by changing the "PAS Ratio (0.1 Times)" value using the USB programming lead and a PC or the Bluetooth dongle and a suitable Android phone.

to how much do you advise me to set the "PAS Ratio" to have medium assistance , I set at 50 but there wasn't too much difference?

If the controller is working correctly using the throttle, it presumably has the correct MP5 firmware installed, but the V5.3.1 controller is capable of being reflashed if the motor (not the pedelec function) is not working correctly

I think is working correctly ( forward)  but I don't know why when I pedal that pull me , like everytime I pedal the assistance re-start strongly , that could be because the LED screen or is something else? what difference there is in setting 18 or 25 "battery drawn current"?

thank you so much.

Maya

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2018, 11:40:02 PM »
You will just have to try different settings until you find one that works best for your typical cadence (pedal rpm).

Reducing the "Acceleration (%)" setting should cause the motor to power up more smoothly.

Adjusting the "Battery drawn current" basically affects the maximum torque (and power) that the motor produces.

Alan

Offline Maya

• Confirmed
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2018, 04:25:29 PM »
Hi Alan:

I did what you told me but the changes are minimal, just maybe I can climb a little better but not like before.

Do you think If I change the screen led by one compatible with Magic Pie 5  could work well like before?

it is possible that the cause that it doesn't work well could be because the screen led or it could be another problem? any idea?

Thanks for your reply.

Maya

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2018, 10:53:08 PM »
Do you think If I change the screen led by one compatible with Magic Pie 5  could work well like before?

The Pedelec function of the MP5 controller (in conjunction with the correct MP5 compatible BAC-601 Smart Display) should work just the same as it did with your previous MP4 controller (assuming all the programmable parameters are set exactly the same).

Without being able to select the different levels of assistance, which are only available with the Smart LCD display (or Bluetooth dongle and suitable Android phone), the single fixed level of pedal assistance is not very nice to use, and there is no easy way to turn it on and off other than physically disconnecting the pedelec sensor.
In fact, before I had the Smart display for my MP4 I actually removed my pedelec sensor because I found the pedelec operation to be somewhat annoying.  :(

Since fitting the Smart Display (and refitting the pedelec sensor) the pedelec is far more useable, but to be honest, I seldom use the pedelec function, as I much prefer being in full control of the throttle.
But at least I now have the option to use the pedelec if/when I want to.  ;)

Hopefully, fitting the later MP5 Smart Display to your bike will return the pedelec operation to the way it used to work before your controller died.

Alan