Author Topic: Plastic Pin Connector Warning!  (Read 6764 times)

Offline Mabman

• Confirmed
Plastic Pin Connector Warning!
« on: February 04, 2010, 09:48:17 PM »
The plastic pin connectors supplied with the throttle and end of the controller cord are not to be trusted. If for instance the black wire from the throttle (in the black pin connector) works free enough to lose contact your motor will start going full blast and using the brake cutout will not stop it. Not a good situation. Luckily for me this happened at a time when I was able to control the situation and get to my battery disconnect. You have been warned.

That said I have been looking for a better way to make this connection that is foolproof and waterproof also. You all realize how long the cables are as supplied and so doing this connection with the right connector should be done on all setups if for nothing other than making it  cleaner looking than having a big loop of cable stuffed somewhere? The other thing is that not everyone will use all the wires available, as in my case I only use the ones from the throttle.

About the best looking solution that I have found is located here: http://www.suresealconnections.com/index.html However their smallest gauge wire is 18 ga. which is bigger than the ones we have to deal with. They also use a proprietary tool to crimp their pins on with which adds to the cost of using them just a few times but would be not a big deal for someone planning on using alot of them.

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Plastic Pin Connector Warning!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 12:02:47 PM »
I used the light switch on the throttle as a cut off. kept twisting the throttle accidentally when pushing the bike and ending up with the front wheel 6ft off the ground.