Author Topic: Feedback on Magic Pie  (Read 39242 times)

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
Feedback on Magic Pie
« on: December 25, 2009, 01:08:35 AM »
Please give us more feedback. Please post ONLY:

1)Negative (with reasons)
i.e. This is a piece of junk, bad service, scratched surfaces and it doesn't even run properly. The speed is only.... blah blah blah... etc.

2)Ideas (improvements)
i.e. I think it needs more speed and be available in different rim sizes. I think it needs to come in Pink and White colors. I think you should add a pan to the sides so that it can cook eggs while I'm riding it to work.

3)Positive (with examples)
i.e. Oh yeah, it saves me 8 hours a week riding it to school. Now that I want to ride my bike, I always insist on helping my mom on buying her groceries and she says I'm a good boy. It has fulfilled my Ghost Rider fantasies.

Ok... let's go.

Offline Harvey_Mushman

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Feedback on Magic Pie
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 09:46:13 AM »
Ordered 10/20, paid MORE than they cost last time I checked (a week ago) ..still waiting for delivery  :P

Offline Harvey_Mushman

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 09:53:39 AM »
..truly expected to have been in the 3rd category many weeks ago..

Offline Harvey_Mushman

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 06:12:27 AM »
Finally received my MP today. The wheel is ~3/8" off center!

This is NOT acceptable  >:(

After 2+ months of waiting, I expected absolute perfection!  Now I need to pay a bicycle shop to have this wheel rebuilt?!  Oh, goody.

I feel totally clowned by GM  :P

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 05:19:12 AM »
Please give us more feedback. Please post ONLY:

i.e. This is a piece of junk, bad service, scratched surfaces and it doesn't even run properly. The speed is only.... blah blah blah... etc.

2)Ideas (improvements)
i.e. I think it needs more speed and be available in different rim sizes. I think it needs to come in Pink and White colors. I think you should add a pan to the sides so that it can cook eggs while I'm riding it to work.

i.e. Oh yeah, it saves me 8 hours a week riding it to school. Now that I want to ride my bike, I always insist on helping my mom on buying her groceries and she says I'm a good boy. It has fulfilled my Ghost Rider fantasies.

Ok... let's go.

Ideas, that's hard .. Wonder how many years or months they worked at the kits ...interface ;...sizing for all bikes;;; GOOD JOB :-)....but the number 1 problem I see here is trying to make everyone happy ...it's impossible .. I say keep doing what your doing the best.. Leave the ("Genuises") to design some of the toys that some people want .. BY ALL MEANS Please be Careful ..And THANK YOU ALL Golden Motors people for the magnificent product you have .. Please don't let the public and any little fallbacks discourage you ,,, PLEASE ...I may be nuts but I see one of these things FLYING .......soon? well sometimes you people have it in you ..

I love me pie, it came with all of that parts and pieces as was promised. I am a retired auto mechanic so not too smart with new things nor too dumb about basic thinking. Received the package within 1 week in South Florida .. Took my time assembling it so as to not make any dumb blunders maybe ,...I really enjoy assembling things like this .. I did make a couple of upgrades.

If there is any little thing I CAN DO FOR YOU over there Please let me know. I, like so many others, would like to be in on whatever you have coming in the future. Looks Real Exciting and I have no one holding me here.

Yours,
Don Johnson
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:07:38 PM by Bikemad »

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 02:51:47 AM »
Not received yet, but tracking is ok. It will arrive by the weekend or next week, this depends on the border control. I just want to share one idea:

2)Ideas

On the dual pie setup the throttle by default acelerates just one of them, then the wires for the second controller pass by a swith, so when activated it will control the second motor too. So I can choose when I really need extra power, It could improve the range of a two motor setup!
I'm not sure if this is a real advantage, but sound cool, like a 4x4 car that I can shift between FWD or 2WD.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 05:51:52 PM »

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 03:32:15 AM »
  • It is not possible to center the rims properly with the bike frame! You really need to look up for this!
  • The package did not have an professional look, it came very well protected, but did not have the appearance and cleanness at the same level as the product!
  • The hot glue that fix the battery cells pack inside the case cames loose during transportation, try to use some spacers between the cells plastic supports and the caps, this will make the hot glue unnecessary.
  • All the connectors should come ready to use, even the connectors to the front and rear lights (not only the feeding, but the connector for both lighs and button), to be really plug and play!
  • The manual contains instructions for the magic controller and this make a lot of confusion about the MP functions. The manual also is too simple and do not details things like the correct position of the washers, warning o be care in fixing the cable to not touch the disk brake, use of the battery and recharger, etc.
  • The battery slide plate did not came with the screws and nuts, the locking area was not very good (the lock pin did not pass it trhough, just half way of a 1mm thick!) and the battery makes some noise wile shaking at the plate, see the ideas for the solution.
  • The battery cable and the motor cable should came already soldered or with connectors ready to plug one on another, not everybody have the equipment and skills to do so and in Brazil was impossible to find these type of connectors.
  • the rack (001) is not so good as it type of fixation is very rare on new bikes, but the rack 002 solves it for good, so this is not a real problem anymore.
2)Ideas (improvements)
  • It should came with some wide velcro to wrap around the battery and rack to help keeping the battery from shaking on the sliding plate. I tested it and now the ride is much smoother.
  • I know that the BMS and controller have a lot of protective circuits, they are great, but a fuse at the battery case would be VERY nice. The fuse could be at the battery cable or in the case (more convenient)
  • You could use bluetooth, not to control the pie, but to send feedback information like speed, distance, power consumption, status of malfunctions, battery status like voltage, total use hours/km/Wh/Ah, etc. Like a Cicle Analyst but much, much, better! Would be like the brains of the pie and could be the way to program some functions as speed limits, etc.
  • The thumb throttle looks like it has been designed to be used at the left hand, a mirrored version of the actual would be better to use with the right side
  • The shaft MUST BE HARDENED (some type of heat treatment or other surface hardening ways), is too soft!!!
  • Anodized aluminium instead of painting, this will increase the general strength of the motor and will have a better looking product!
  • The power brake levers are not good for disk brakes or V-brakes, you should have specific ones

Really easy to install
Really good quality parts
Good looking
Serial numbers on the battery, charger. Good information and warning adehsives where they are necessary (battery, plug polarity, etc)
Nice stainless steel screws with locking washers.
Good cables, flexible enough.
Easy to use, easy to recharge the battery, easy to put in and out the battery from the bike.
Nice torque!!!

I really do not have all the words to say how good it is and how I'm satisfied for now. It is so natural to ride the converted bike that I fell I had it for years, or at least should had it long before. I'm sure will change my cost and heath for much better. It is very fun!

Yao, You know I have the better interest to the improvement of your products, please feel free to ask me more. I'm a Mech. Engineer and for sowe can have a nice technical chat. All the things at the negative parts are easily solved (except for the rim centering problem, it could need a new design for this component) I listed them all so we can have even better products from GM!

I hope we have a great future together!

link for the review: http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=1623.0
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 04:11:01 AM by Yacamim »

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 04:13:16 AM »
About the package.

Here are some examples. I do not know the sources and/or manufacturers of theese photos, they are just for example of better packaging using Styrofoam

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 07:00:16 AM »
Dear Yacamin,

We really appreciate your feedbacks and suggestions on improvements of our products. We will implement them as quick as possible to make our products better and better.

We do listen all your feedbacks and comments all the while. That's the reason we can come out good products like MagicPie kit and battery packs.

Thanks again for your support.

Golden Motor

Offline Magic Poop

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 07:34:23 PM »
Well here is my feedback and I am sure you can tell by username I am not impressed with this unit.

I bought this thing just before Christmas from Gary Salo @ Golden Motors.ca
I rode it a total of 3 times and less then 20 kms and the thing just died.

I emailed Tom and he had me test it by bypassing the controls to see if the problem was my wiring or in the controller.

The test result show and I quote from Tom "Your controller is broken"

I emailed Tom back to have this thing exchanged.....really I would like a refund but don't think that is possible.
Now it is day 2 and TOM has not bothered to email me back.

I have been in contact with Gary and he also has had no luck hearing from Tom either but did assure me he would call tonight.

I also have to say the motor is extremely slow, not what I what I had hoped for when paired with a lifepo4 36 15 amp battery.
Between the performance and the fact that it broke after extremely light use for a short time( I didn't even jump a curb)

I would NOT recommend the Magic Pie, once the controller fries you have to replace the whole unit. Not to mention the beating the controller must take between the added extra heat from the motor and the R.P.M.'s it has to endure.

I would though recommend Gary from Goldenmotors.ca as he has been very co-operative and a pleasure to deal with, a real good honest guy and great representative of the company every step of the way, even now that I am having issues with the unit.
I am sure they have other products that are great but unfortunately The Pie not so great.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:36:10 PM by Magic Poop »

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 08:50:43 PM »
and the R.P.M.'s it has to endure
The controller in the MP doesn't actually move. Its fixed to the stationary axel and stators and its the magnets and outer casing/spokes and wheel that moves around them.

muzza.au

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 09:02:09 PM »

The test result show and I quote from Tom "Your controller is broken"

Now it is day 2 and TOM has not bothered to email me back.

Hello MP

Please have a little patience, with a new product there are bound to be some failures. Allthough I understand your frustration, It has only been 2 days since it failed and we are dealing with a company based on the other side of the planet. I do believe that Philip is out of the country on business and probably a few other key decision making people. They are exactly 12 hours opposite our time so Ill be calling after 10pm If I do not get a response in email by then. I will be in touch as soon as I know anything.

I do thank you for your positive comments though :)

Gary
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 09:06:40 PM by GM Canada »

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 09:04:47 PM »
And the heat management is nice. I live in Brazil and for the last 60km of MP riding the temperature here was about 30ºC up every day. They have a clever design to manage the heat issue. You really get bad luck,  I hope the warranty solves it but as the factory is in China, and you know it when you bought, It will take some time to solve.

I was reading for a long time before choose Golden Motor and the MP kit to buy (and test, I'll be a Dealer very soon), all the problems I found that other clients had with their motors or batteries was solved by the warranty by replacement of the  unit, was not quick, but ALWAYS solved.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 06:23:09 AM »
Hello MP,

I have confirmation from 2 people at GM HQ that the "behind the scenes" decision maker is away until Friday (Thursday night our time). Hang in there another day.

Gary
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:26:46 AM by GM Canada »