Author Topic: Golden Motor Magic Pie review  (Read 59593 times)

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Golden Motor Magic Pie review
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2009, 01:34:46 PM »
Are you sure it was the heat in the hub?

your ride is nice but a little heavier than most.  I am concerned about the internal controller it may not of been the hill but the 50 yard regen.  The contoller has over current shut down too I think, maybe it mistaken the regen for current draw and with the hard regen action, being a big ride you have may of triggered it to shut down the controller.

The added motor just may not help what is happening and I hope this gets sorted.

Bring it on

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2009, 03:36:36 PM »
Is that some delicious looking pie I see?

Offline trike20

• Confirmed
    • Geostar Systems
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2009, 04:06:31 AM »
After the shutdown the motor would not restart even after many power on-off resets.
The outside case also kept getting warmer as it set so the heat transfer inside to outside case was slow as expected.
How about some info from the factory.... What is the internal thermal shutdown temperature setting?

Offline Harvey_Mushman

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2009, 05:30:40 AM »
It's really a back MP. The fork is modified to be wider to fit the rear PM.
Later today I also put a 400w geared motor (5-10MPH) and chain on the freewheel. I use it as a low speed boost to get up 30%+ hills. It is also good for laying patches of rubber as I start out.:)
Pics and videos to come next weekend.... ;D

Hey, that's a neat front end you made.  I see potential for multi-geared/motored variations ..FUN  :D

What IS the high temp shutdown on an MP?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Magic Pie Cooking
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2009, 04:50:14 PM »
The motor was just warm on the outside but the inside must have been really hot. I don't see how the controller heat can get out of the case fast. It's just dead air inside the Pie.

I did come across this solution if it's of any use:

Apparently it's specially designed to let any excess heat escape easily from the Pie.

I would guess I was at 1500 W for 3 min

As I'm not too familiar with microwave settings, I thought I'd check to see what the gas mark equivalent of 1500W is.
According to the recipe, you're not supposed to cook Magic Pies, it clearly states "refrigerate for about 3 hours": Magic Pie Recipe

I bet the freshly baked Pie gave off a lovely smell though.

Alan

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2009, 05:18:03 PM »
After the shutdown the motor would not restart even after many power on-off resets.
The outside case also kept getting warmer as it set so the heat transfer inside to outside case was slow as expected.
How about some info from the factory.... What is the internal thermal shutdown temperature setting?

Ahh OK.  Yes I agree with that thermal shutdown was likely and now thinking about it,  probably saved the controller.

The MP may never intended to have such an awesome design and heavy load set upon her with such a hilly environment.

I see no problem with relocating the controller outside the hub if there is a real need for it.

Or that motor you have modded there will do the trick.  For me I would be more inclinded to mover the controller or even use my stock GM controller and just connect the phase wires and hall wires up.

Bring it on

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2009, 01:49:31 AM »
It's 100Degrees Celsius. I think the load may be too much. It was designed for a 25KG bike and a 75KG rider anyway. How much does the trike weigh? If it goes over 130KG I suggest 2 rear MPs instead. Can't risk any burnt controller because if it burns, you will never find a way to replace it from the outside. Take a look at our Electric Passenger Trike. It carries a load of up to 1000KGs and it runs at 100kph. Just take a look at the video, 5 jokers on a small car, and it still runs with no problems. 0.0

However, for your single passenger vehicle, I think one Magic Pie would do. But after you stated the sensitive word "Hill", then... it brings me back to the memories of burnt mini motors due to riders that thought 250W was enough to do them 25kph uphill with a load of 120KG. do the math. So perhaps... 2 MPs should do the trick. And if you are wish to try it out, i'll put a duo drive package link for you, the shipping cost will be saved and I could also do a discount on the bundle. The trick in this duo drive is our connector. It connects the two Magic Pies to one battery.

Well i've tried the duo drive on the GIANT bike, one front and one rear Magic Pie. yeah I didn't post pictures, im srry. The strength was enormous and I'm kinda guessing that you would need that to successfully climb hills at a stable speed. I will not recommend duo drive on a 2 wheeler as you would be performing acrobatics on a trip to the hospital.

Anyway to follow up on your issue, I am 100% certain it's not the HEAT that caused it to trip, it's the CURRENT. The max amps on MP is 25, taking into calculation the weight and the strength of your battery, 1300N X 120 X 48V X 3.142... alright I don't know what i'm talking about. But the thing is, the current is too large and the Magic Pie was trippin, so it shut itself down. But could you inform me about the weight of the trike (Without the rider) and the battery you are using and also the gradient of the hill you climbed. As well as how long before you can operate it again.

Offline ggielen

• Confirmed
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2009, 09:56:56 AM »
That dual drive sounds interesting Yao, can you tell a bit more about it? I don't see it listed on the website, is it a new development?

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2010, 05:12:03 PM »
i've posted some pics in another post but I think I will post them here to, and more

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2010, 05:15:15 PM »
and more

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2010, 05:17:53 PM »
  ;D