Author Topic: Golden Motor Magic Pie review  (Read 59583 times)

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Golden Motor Magic Pie review
« on: October 25, 2009, 12:44:57 PM »
hey all,

I'll start with the reviews(after Hyena ;))

What question do you all have about my Magic Pie(I got it running)
Should I make a youtube video about it, or pics?

Here are the stats

Bike: Fully susp. MTB with Topeak Defender mudguards, Zoom suspension, Front and rear disc brakes.
Protection: Axa CH-95 chain lock (art sertified)
Voltage: 48v (54.6v fully charged)
Top speed: 45 km/h
Range: 55 km (with pedaling 35 km/h to 40 km/h)
Acceleration: 0-45 in 5 secs
                  0-40 in 4 secs
Pedal start   5-40 in 3 secs ;D

A little bit about myself:
Name: Kevin
Passion: Electric vehicles
First ebike: described above

and a picture of the bike before converted to ebike.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 05:01:44 PM by hardcore »

Offline Koga

• Confirmed
Re: Golden Motor Magic Pie reviews
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 03:13:24 PM »
Shit that's fast! And quick acceleration.

I would love to see a video not only demonstrating the speed and acceleration but also the noise it makes.

En als je binnen een straal van 55km van Deurne woont het ik een bakje koffie, en een stopcontact voor je.  :D

Offline pdf

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 03:32:26 PM »
Largest grade hill it can climb, motor only, and reach an equilibrium speed.  That is, on a 0% grade, the equilibrium speed will be the top speed you reported.  At some grade, the motor will not be able to go up the hill.  So presumably, there is a grade below which a motor will reach an equilibrium speed and not slow down but above which it will continue to slow until it stops. 

For argument's sake, assume you start at 20 km/hr (12 mph) at the bottom of the hill and as you hit the bottom of the hill, you give it full throttle.  Assume it must maintain this speed for 5 minutes (so the motor will be running above its continuous rating, presumably with the controller maxed out. 

Just curious.  My application requires ability to climb moderate-to-(relatively) steep but not terribly long hills.  I'm interested in finding a way to standardize the ability of motors to climb hills. 

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 03:42:25 PM »
Shit that's fast! And quick acceleration.

I would love to see a video not only demonstrating the speed and acceleration but also the noise it makes.

En als je binnen een straal van 55km van Deurne woont het ik een bakje koffie, en een stopcontact voor je.  :D

sorry ik woon dicht bij oldenzaal,

about the noise I mostly hear the wind and the freewheel but when I'm accelerating I can hear some noise, not much because I live outside the city.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 03:53:58 PM »
Largest grade hill it can climb, motor only, and reach an equilibrium speed.  That is, on a 0% grade, the equilibrium speed will be the top speed you reported.  At some grade, the motor will not be able to go up the hill.  So presumably, there is a grade below which a motor will reach an equilibrium speed and not slow down but above which it will continue to slow until it stops. 

For argument's sake, assume you start at 20 km/hr (12 mph) at the bottom of the hill and as you hit the bottom of the hill, you give it full throttle.  Assume it must maintain this speed for 5 minutes (so the motor will be running above its continuous rating, presumably with the controller maxed out. 

Just curious.  My application requires ability to climb moderate-to-(relatively) steep but not terribly long hills.  I'm interested in finding a way to standardize the ability of motors to climb hills. 

well I tried a couple of hills but there was one long hill but it still went 35 km/h and a very steep hill of 50 degree, 4 meter long. From a still stand it could still climb the hill easely.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 04:06:52 PM »
A picture of my ebike without the battery

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 05:11:59 PM »
Kevin,

Did the brake disc fit without any modifications and does the wheel line up centrally in the frame?

Do you have a special technique for climbing a 50 degree hill without flipping over backwards? :D

Alan

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 08:57:22 PM »
Hardcore,

I'm building up a dual suspension bike myself and I like the mud guards you have on yours. What type/brand are they?

Muzza.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 08:58:59 PM »
Topeak Defender FX & RX from chainreactioncycles (dot) com

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 09:01:13 PM »
Kevin,

Did the brake disc fit without any modifications and does the wheel line up centrally in the frame?

Do you have a special technique for climbing a 50 degree hill without flipping over backwards? :D

Alan

ooh I ment % , I don't know how to measure it or say it so it was 0 meter high and I drove up the hill and there it was 3 meters higher and the hill was 4.2 meters long.

It centered very well, I have not modded anything on the bike, everything fitted well after an installation time of 30 min. (I took the wheel and innertube off and replaced it with my own, fitted the disc and wired everything up)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 09:09:02 PM by hardcore »

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 09:14:47 PM »
Also you should wait for the new rack they got, check the new pic on their site. It's a hanging rack for fully susp. MTB's.

Cheers (B)

Offline KES

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 10:19:04 PM »
Here are the stats

Bike: Fully susp. MTB with Topeak Defender mudguards, Zoom suspension, Front and rear disc brakes.
Protection: Axa CH-95 chain lock (art sertified)
Voltage: 48v (54.6v fully charged)
Top speed: 50 km/h
Range: 55 km (average of 35 km/h to 40 km/h)
Acceleration: 0-45 in 5 secs
                  0-40 in 4 secs
Pedal start   5-40 in 3 secs ;D

A little bit about myself:
Name: Kevin
Passion: Electric vehicles
First ebike: described above

and a picture of the bike before converted to ebike.

You are missing a LOT of important data, so your stats don't mean much.

1. What is the verified laden weight (both bike and rider)?
2. How was the acceleration tests performed, and WHO helped you 'time' the runs?
3. Hill climbs MUST include accurate slope measurements - including both angle and distance.

Offline pdf

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 12:15:21 AM »

ooh I ment % , I don't know how to measure it or say it so it was 0 meter high and I drove up the hill and there it was 3 meters higher and the hill was 4.2 meters long.

I think your calculation must be off a bit.  If the hill was 4.2m long (hypotenuse) and 3m high (opposite side), then the horizontal distance was about 3m (adjacent side=sqrt(4.2^2 - 3^2)=3).  This is a 45 degree angle or a 100% grade.  Even a 50% grade would be a 25 deg. angle, a very steep incline.  I think you must be mistaken about this.  If you can test this on a known grade of some length, it would be a great help. 

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 01:28:20 AM »
Pdf,
I'm inclined to agree with you. (No pun intended)

Whichever way you interpret Kevin's description, that hill does seem to be rather steep!

3 meters higher and the hill was 4.2 meters long

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:38:09 PM by Bikemad »

Offline KES

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 01:47:59 AM »