Author Topic: New Smart Pie 5 Vector (350 Watts) - Doesn't run  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Mbyesme

• Confirmed
New Smart Pie 5 Vector (350 Watts) - Doesn't run
« on: February 26, 2022, 12:52:03 AM »
Greetings fellow ebike enthusiasts!

I'm trying to convert a beach cruiser to an ebike using the Smart Pie 5 Vector 350w - Front hub
I'm pairing it with a Hailong 36v 8000mAH battery (new from Amazon)
I ordered the Smart Pie w/ the 36v twist throttle

I took off my front wheel, removed the tire
I took the old tire, grabbed a new tube, and installed it on the Golden Motor rim
Then I installed the Golden Motor wheel on my front forks
I use the 2amp charger that came w/ the battery, full charged
The Hailong has a red/black wire to a female XT60 connector to make for an easy disconnect. Cool
Wired that up with some wire nuts
Connected the throttle wire
Connected the brake & cruise wires
Connected the battery using the XT60
The throttle lights up, no prob. Red/Yellow/Green
There is a red button under the throttle, can't figure out what it's for so far, so I leave it alone
All is good so far

I twist the throttle
Nothing. Zero movement
Ok, so I press the red button & twist the throttle again
Nothing. Zero movement
I try the green horn button, no analog horn so nothing happens, not surprised
I try the red cruise control button, and then twist the throttle again
Nothing. Zero movement, zero noise. Absolutely nothing is happening

Ok. I didn't get the USB cable b/c I didn't think I would need it (variable power, I only plan to go slow on flat ground)
So I thought ok, maybe I need the cable so I order it, it arrives yesterday
Connect it to my laptop, COM3, connect the battery again, I hit the 'connect to controller' button on the app
Boom! I get a bunch of numbers. Everything looks good in the app, it detects I'm using a 36V battery
I disconnect the USB cable, then I disconnect the battery per the YouTube video about programming the Smart Pie
I connect the battery again
Same thing, all 3 lights on the throttle are on, Red/Yellow/Green
Same problem, I twist the throttle. Nothing, zero movement. Absolutely nothing is happening

Am I doing something wrong?
Or, did I happen to get a bunk motor?
Any steps you'd suggest to further troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: New Smart Pie 5 Vector (350 Watts) - Doesn't run
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 10:18:23 PM »
Hi Mbyesme,
And welcome to the forum! :-)

The throttle lighting up is a good indication that your batteries connected properly and getting thru the controller and harness.

The RED button on the throttle proper is OEM wired to provide power to the light.
This wiring diagram will help in troubleshooting. Make sure the circled wires are properly isolated and secured.

A couple things I'd start with is to disconnect the brake connectors. And check for 5vdc at a convenient location when the battery is connected.
As always, double check all connectors for proper seating, bent pins, or damaged wiring...

Regards,
T.C.

See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build  HERE.

Offline Mbyesme

• Confirmed
Re: New Smart Pie 5 Vector (350 Watts) - Doesn't run
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 12:01:28 AM »
Thanks TC for the suggestion. I checked, those wires due seem to be isolated.

So I also contacted golden motor support, they got back to me pretty quick. They instructed me to remove the controller. On the backside is a red light. When you plugin the battery, it goes through a self test of sorts. If it blinks once, all is well. Mine blinks multiple times consecutively. Based on that support says its likely either my throttle or controller isn't working properly so they are sending me a new one of each. I'm going to try the new throttle first and if that doesn't work, the new controller.

Excellent and clear support golden motor has, kudos to them.

I'll report back with progress for future readers of this post/ppl with similar issues.