Author Topic: Making a Magic Pie 5 street legal  (Read 1917 times)

Offline TrevorB

• Confirmed
Making a Magic Pie 5 street legal
« on: November 25, 2019, 12:04:16 AM »
Hi Alan,
I have a MP5 powered by 4 12V lead acid batteries.
I have been trying to use the USB hub method to have the motor operate at 36v to make it street legal.
When I change the on desktop screen parameters down to 36 V, does it make the change electronically so that the motor only uses 36 V of the 48V, or do I also have to physically use only 3 12V batteries?
Thanks,
Trevor Blake

Offline TrevorB

• Confirmed
Re: Making a Magic Pie 5 street legal
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 09:43:44 PM »
Hi,
A different question.
I have a 48V MP5 from Golden Motors.ca.
I want to make it street legal, and am using the USB method with a desktop. I am using 4 12V lead-acid batteries in series. If I set the battery voltage to 36V using the USB method, does the controller just use 36V of the 48V or do I have to physically use only three of the 12V batteries to provide the 36V.
Thanks
Trevor.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Making a Magic Pie 5 street legal
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 10:37:20 PM »
Hi Trevor,

The voltage setting in the controller only changes the maximum and minimum voltages that the controller will operate on.
The motor will always draw full battery voltage when the battery voltage is within the controller's set voltage range.

Most ebike legislation relates to the maximum continuous power output from the motor rather than the voltage.

If the legal limit was 750 Watts, you could simply reduce the Battery drawn current (A) setting to 20A with a 48V battery. This would draw a maximum current of 960 Watts from the battery, but the motor would only be producing an output of ~750 Watts of power if the motor was running at ~78% efficiency.

If you need to comply with a maximum speed limit as well, you can simply set the Maximum forward speed (rpm) setting to the required rpm to match the legal maximum speed. The required rpm will also be affected by your tyre diameter too. Check out this post for a  spreadsheet to help calculate the correct rpm for a required speed.

As long as your power and speed are correctly governed, you will hopefully be street legal, unless the law specifies that throttles are not permitted.   ::)

I often run my Magic Pie 4 on a 29.6V 8 cell LiPo pack (giving a fully charged voltage of 33.6V) but it still pulls up to 975 Watts of power from the battery under full load. That equates to a power output at the wheel of up to 780 Watts @ 80% efficiency.

If I use the same 29.6V battery pack on my MPII (with the modified controller shunt) it can draw up to 1500 Watts of battery power, so using a 36V battery with a Magic Pie motor (which is rated for 750 Watts @ 36V) does not necessarily mean that the bike will be street legal because it is only using a 36V battery.

Alan

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 10:45:19 PM by Bikemad »