Author Topic: Lights wiring and control without the speed throttle  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Malo87

• Confirmed
Lights wiring and control without the speed throttle
« on: October 27, 2019, 09:36:14 PM »
Hi there,
is it possible to turn on/off a wired light without using the button on the throttle but with the controls on the BAC-601 LCD? I notice that pressing mode+up turn on the light indicator on the display, I just want to be sure before buying the wired light.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Lights wiring and control without the speed throttle
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 02:15:07 PM »
Unfortunately, you cannot use the backlight switching function of the BAC-601 LCD to control external lighting without opening the sealed display unit and adding additional wiring and components.

Alan

Offline Malo87

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 03:33:33 PM »
Ok, thanks for that. Is there any way to force the controller to keep the lights on and just add a physical switch on the positive that goes to the light?

Trying to find a way to control the lights without using the throttle.

Offline MrFred

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 07:28:19 PM »
If it's a 48V capable light, couldn't you just take a tap off the battery before the controller and run the +ve wire thru the external switch? That's what I did with one of my older bikes, but with the MP Edge I use the switch on the throttle to minimize clutter on the handlebar.

Offline Malo87

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 10:10:26 AM »
That's not a bad idea. But is it safe to put the lights in parallel to the power cable of the MP edge?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 11:54:10 AM »
Is it safe to put the lights in parallel to the power cable of the MP edge?
That's basically what the lighting circuit on the throttle switch does, as the battery feed wire going to the throttle switch is connected to the main battery wire inside the motor harness before it goes into the controller.

It might be possible to fit a simple on/off switch into your light unit if there is room, but on my MPII, I have my front light on all the time when the battery is turned on, so it acts like a daylight running light to make me more visible to other road users.
It is only a 4W LED lamp (despite being advertised as 12W), so the current being drawn from my 29.6V battery pack is relatively low (0.135A) which is ~2.23% of my 5.8Ah battery capacity, so it doesn't affect my typical 4 mile "dog walking" rides.

Alan