Author Topic: Magic Pie 3 strange problem...Does anyone of you have idea what is it ?  (Read 7734 times)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie III strange problem...Does anyone of you have idea what is it ?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 12:40:08 PM »
I'm now very puzzled, because I wouldn't expect the motor to run at all with three dead Hall sensors.
Does the motor still run or has it now stopped working altogether?

Did you connect the 5V source correctly (Red to positive, Black to negative) and did you measure the actual voltage of the "separate 5V source" with the voltmeter?

I would strongly recommend checking the Hall sensors using the motor's controller to power them rather than an external power source and I also recommend connecting the meter's Black probe direct to the battery negative connection, as this makes it a lot easier to check the voltages on each of the hall connector pins as you only have one probe contact to concentrate on.

Using the controller's 5V supply prevents the possibility of incorrect or reversed polarity connections (which may damage the Hall sensors if the polarity was reversed and the external supply's current is greater than the Hall sensor's 15 mA max. supply current rating) and also enables you to check the 5V output from the controller to see if it is correct, before proceeding to check the individual outputs from the three Hall sensors.

A constant reading of between 4.5V and 5V should be expected on the Red wire with the battery plugged in and turned on.
If you get a reading of 0V, it would be worth measuring the voltage of a 1.5V AA battery just to check your voltmeter is working correctly, as the rotary selector dials on some multimeters can sometimes suffer from poor/dirty contacts (especially if they have not been used for a while).

If the meter reads the AA battery voltage correctly but still shows 0V on the Red wire, unplug the hall sensor connector and measure the voltage on the controller pin supplying the Red wire. If the voltage now reads 4.5~5V, it could be a Hall sensor failed in a short circuit state or a short between the Red and Black wires.

If the 5V output from the controller is definitely not working, then the controller is faulty and will need to be replaced.

If you definitely have 4.5~5V on the Red wire but still have 0V on the Yellow, Green and Blue Hall sensor output wires, it would indicate that the Hall sensors are probably faulty and will need to be replaced.

Alan

Offline Dachawave

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie III strange problem...Does anyone of you have idea what is it ?
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 06:15:18 PM »
Yes Alan, I figure it what to do and how...I make a stable source power with step down CC module and set up correctly with multimeter 5.01V and 0.12A current, so power is stable. Offcourse that I will be carefull about polarity and poor connections and my voltmeter is 100% working. I use voltmeter from 24h, constant use is about 2 hous every single day, so don't worry I have expirience about everything to not send wrong voltage, current or to not have poor connections  ;) I was check voltmeter with battery's many kkinds when I see reading 0.00V just to be sure that he gave me correct readings :)

The motor is running like I describe before...I need to speed up for about 5km/h and then push the throttle to not get kicking in motor in start (from stop point). So, all symtoms is that motor work without hall sensors in sensorless mode, because I think that motor somehow when notice that something wrong with hall sensors, controller is start first in sensor mode and if he find that something is wrong, then he switch to sensorless mode...

Also I was try to test hall sensors when the separeted power supply connected with 5.01V and 0.12A stable and use like you said, power from controller. I got same results...0.00V got readings from all 3 hall sensors on 6pin molex...When I check voltage on red and black wire, I get regulary 5.01V like I setup up...The same I was get when I was check voltage with battery turned on  from controller to see does it produce any voltage and on controller I get stable 5.02V. Offcourse I was be carefull about polarity...

So I think after all measurments, that all 3 hall sensors are dead, like I describe you...And mp3 kit was send today to autorized service again to fix this...Because for me it's too much complicated to replace this...Other words, I didnt see any detailed pictures here on forum and on google search (verry inportant to me) and manual how to do this...Nevermind, I will wait one or two weeks and will let you know how the story was finnished :)

Offline Dachawave

• Confirmed
Ok, it's time to tell you all that I got (again) my mp3 kit from authorized service and now everything is work 100% correct :D They are obviously forget to check hall sensors and like they told me that all 3 hall sensors was dead (burned) and because of that I was have a problem from start point. In a mean time, I was made a li-on battery 14S 58.8V with 45AH and BMS and it's work like a charm ;)

Thank you all for your help and support about this issue that I have with mp3 kit :)