Author Topic: Magic Pie Edge - The Perfect 500 Watt Solution!  (Read 14333 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Magic Pie Edge - The Perfect 500 Watt Solution!
« on: December 16, 2015, 01:00:40 AM »
Magic Pie Edge - The Perfect 500 Watt Solution!

Exciting times are here again! We might want to make this a Sticky topic!

Of course I realize to many with Ebikes it is mainly all about speed and power, but some people are looking for a good street legal option for an Ebike Build.

For those of us with a 500 watt restriction I have been asking Golden Motor for a 500 watt rated motor for a long time and here it finally is. New for 2016 is "The Magic Pie Edge". The motor is rated at 500 watts and It has the same internal Sinewave Controller (v5.3.1 w Bluetooth) and is compatible with the same wire harness and controls of the v5 pies. Really it's like the Magic Pies Little Brother.

I have been road testing two Edge kits since mid-October and I really have to say they are awesome! It feels very similar to riding around with a Magic Pie but less power of course. On the first ride after switching my Cannibal from a Magic Pie 5 to a Magic Pie Edge I rode off on my first test ride. I was quite impressed by the power. Logically because it is smaller it has less power than the 1000 watt Magic Pie, but because of the shape of the motor it has quite a bit more torque then the 400 watt Smart Pie. The Edge is thin with a large Diameter like the Magic Pie. This means the magnets are further out on the wheel then they are on the Smart Pie and gives it more bottom end pulling power.

For more information of the new Magic Pie Edge, follow the links…

Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Nz-EbNTvM
Blog http://www.goldenmotor.ca/news/187/MAGIC-PIE-EDGE-Released.html
Newsletter http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=7551f46cb9e3794e811a370cc&id=1d239ea572

This is a good size comparison with the Magic Pie Edge and Magic Pie 5. Plus a few pictures of a ride though part of Etobicoke Creek Trail. Definitely one of my favorite trails.

What an Awesome place for an Ebike ride!

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie Edge - The Perfect 500 Watt Solution!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 11:46:25 PM »
Well it has been some time since I posted anything on the Edge. I must say I am really having a great time zooming around on it. I have made quite a few videos recently so I thought I would share them here for those interested

The original release video I posted  above
https://youtu.be/72Nz-EbNTvM
Test ride crunching the numbers
https://youtu.be/QToQFCLpMG8
Casual Ride down Etobicoke Creek
https://youtu.be/_EUQ2GQRIBY
Magic Pie Edge Power ride (with music)
https://youtu.be/5Jdc7A4yv9I
Edge test ride on my 29er
https://youtu.be/gZI245IlfVc
Installing the Edge
https://youtu.be/KPk7SqgiuV8

So you can see I have been busy. I love the Edge!

Gary

Offline Bennicus

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 11:44:51 AM »
So the edge looks a bit smaller than the regular MP5, how would it fit in a 20" rim?  Does it still come in a cast rim at that size, or could I fit that into a regular rim with some suitably stubby spokes?

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 12:12:39 PM »
The 20 inch Edge is spoked. AT least for now. I have some arriving this week. I should be able to upload a picture then.

Gary

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 01:25:14 PM »
Hi Gary,

Do you know if they are radially laced, or laced with leading spokes on one side and trailing spokes on the other like the 20" Smart Pies:

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:29:17 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Hastings

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 10:43:50 AM »
Nothing happening with the Edge tread :
For whatever reason:either

Not so much sales
or the Edge is the first Golden motor that does not need support; is a  very well working motor .....

What is the experience so far  . ? Gary ??

I am considering one - I have a a lightweight hardtail 29er. I have installed a  Thun X-CELL RT  and  cycle Analyst. The goal for this bike as opposed to my other with a MPII or III ( cant tell them apart) is a  variable electric support and I would like to get rid of the resistance on the flats where I do most of the work.  What has been holding me back is is also to make a custom battery that can fit  on top of  the lower  tube like a shark battery but with  Better cells  like Ping LiFePo.  I probably need to divide into several packs

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 03:02:29 PM »
Hi Gary,

Do you know if they are radially laced, or laced with leading spokes on one side and trailing spokes on the other like the 20" Smart Pies:

Alan
Sorry Alan, quite a delay on responding here. The 20 inch edge is with leading spokes on one side and trailing on the other.

There is also a 16 inch cast version of the edge now and I really should update the site with a new picture of it :)

Gary
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 05:04:21 PM by Bikemad »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 03:05:10 PM »
Nothing happening with the Edge tread :
For whatever reason:either

Not so much sales
or the Edge is the first Golden motor that does not need support; is a  very well working motor .....

What is the experience so far  . ? Gary ??

The Edge is extremely successful and reliable. It is becoming the the second biggest seller now, right behind the MP5

Gary

Offline Malo87

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 03:33:01 PM »
Hi may I ask you what's the difference with the Smart Pie 4, apart from the bluetooth? here in uk the limit is 250W and 15mph assisted pedalling, I'm still struggling to understand if the Smart Pie/edge is road legal

Offline Aum

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 11:21:28 PM »
olo

i need to know how to setup/connect the mp5 edge e-motor with grin cycle analyst (3.1(4))
i am making an e-motor solar powered trailer
using 2 pcs edge e-motors
(original gm) throttle is connected to ca3, therefore ca3 does the throttling, and edge's controller(s) are set to: throttle enable: 0 (close ? disable)
the test ride(s) were a lot of fun
except, regen braking is not working; that is, when I engage (original gm e-)brake lever, no braking (from edge e-motor) is felt
the battery is close to empty, and testing speed was way above 10 kmh (more like 30 kmh); currently, edge's controller settings is:
regen enable: 1 (open ? enabled), but since ca3 is doing (not ! lol) the regen braking, I should probably set it to: regen enable: 0 (close ? disabled); I did tested this setting, no regen braking was felt

the only info I have been able to find, is in cycle analyst (un)official user manual, long version, which, although being outdated, is still useful
on page 35/77, case 2 is described, and it says, there are cases, when e-brake signal wire needs to be connected both to ca3, and controller's (brake) wire

is this the case with gm mp5 edge e-motor ? I need to connect e-brake signal wire both to ca3 e-brake input and (both) edge controllers e-brake (blue; #6) wire ?

thank you for your cooperation

best regards

have fun

aum

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2022, 12:53:40 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

The Blue brake signal wire from both brake switches has to connect to ground for the regen to engage, so your brake signal wire needs to be connected in parallel to the CA as shown in the diagram:

Unfortunately, the MP Edge controller is unable to support variable regen, so the conventional regen function has to be used instead.

As you have dual motors, it should be possible to install a couple of diodes to enable the regen braking for each motor to be used independently, allowing the left lever to activate the left wheel regen and the right lever to activate the right motor regen, which would effectively give you a 2 stage regen option.
However, the uneven (biased) braking on the trailer (when just one brake is applied) may have an adverse effect upon the handling/steering.  :-\

Alan

Offline Aum

• Confirmed
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2022, 05:35:11 PM »
alan, thx for the reply

in meantime, I re-purposed ca3.1wp (8-pin plug) orange wire (key return) into 'parallel' e-brake signal wire (re-soldered orange wire to e-brake 'blue' wire inside ca3), then in the trailer, wired 2 wires, one to the left edge e-motor blue wire (e-brake), the other to the right edge blue wire, connected to edge controller.
i used android app and bluetooth module, set regen brake setting to 50 (i guess %), and did a test ride - it worked, me happy
just, for my purpose, 50 % regen braking is way too much, I will set both to 20 % (minimum available), and test it; then, if needed, I will slowly increase the regen value

in my case, on trike, the tow vehicle, one brake lever is connected to (both) front archer drum brakes, while the other (left) brake lever is connected to physical brakes on trailer, and also as e-brake to ca3.1, and now also to both mp5 edge controllers (blue wire, for e-brake signal)

this basically means I am done with my trailer, I just need to mount solar panels, and off we go - into world adventure

thx for the input,
have fun

aum

ps: anybody interested, you can follow me on youtube - aum hren (chose the channel with 40+ videos)