Author Topic: Magic Pie 5 Vector with Bluetooth for Android/IOS  (Read 42340 times)

Offline MrBulp

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie 5 Vector with Bluetooth for Android/IOS
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2015, 12:40:11 PM »
im still waiting for Magic Meter iOS app............... :(

Offline Supchrgamx

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2015, 04:57:59 AM »
guess I don't need a update

Offline TJImagineer

• Confirmed
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2016, 04:05:12 PM »
still waiting on the IOS version, my buddy wants his android phone back  :( . any updates other than 2 more weeks?

Offline Ecobully

• Confirmed
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2016, 11:16:43 AM »
Does anyone know if the apk posted in the downloads section has changed at all in the past few days?

I had everything working on an older Android device (Amazon Fire with Cyanogenmod) with 4.4.2, but it will not run and closes down if BT is turned on stating, "Unfortunately, GoldenMotor has stopped." If BT is disabled, I will be prompted with, "An app wants to turn on Bluetooth." "Deny -- Allow"

It doesn't matter which I choose as it turns on BT (even if I choose "Deny"). Then once I tap the red "b" icon and search for "GM" I am faced with the same shutdown of the app with the same message, "Unfortunately, GoldenMotor has stopped."

I tried clearing, my cache for the specific app, clearing data, uninstall/reinstalling, factory reset on the handset and only installing the GM app to no avail.. same results. Seems like the app and my BT stack are not getting along.

** I had the exact same experience attempting to load the GM app on an Android 4.4.4, 5.1.1, and 6.0.1 device  (Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S6, and Nexus 6P)

Offline Ecobully

• Confirmed
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 03:54:58 AM »
TJI,

I believe that Apple implements a different way to achieve BT serial communications and might require some more time to certify (or get shot down and ask us to run jailbroken phones to achieve functionality). To keep the BT hardware the same for both Android and IOS, I see that the pairing method is not conventional and is accomplished solely though the app itself and not the BT settings manager.

It would be interesting (and sad) if someone can actually examine the packets and even change settings of someone else's bikes while sitting at the park and watching people ride their MP5 equipped ride. Default pairing code is '0' and not even '0000' Does that mean all bikes with this accessory have a common pairing code? Along with a default app settings password of... '0' ?

The above example is an extreme case, but one that can lead to casualties (and even death). Keeping things reasonably secure and thorough is probably a pretty high priority. But, in your case I feel that IOS should have never been advertised or marketed until it was available for actual usage. Vaporware is a tease that does not fulfill anyone's needs.

The Android side of things is not polished at all. And more of an alpha release--there are some bugs and processes to be worked out before it can be deemed a functional option worthy of dishing out cash for a proprietary BT adapter.

I have decided to spend more money and purchase a regular wired display unit. BT is nice and convenient, but I will use it to reprogram the controller whenever needed so it's not a complete waste.

I know this post sounds rather negative, but it is not intended to be. I feel that BT is very useful and a great feature for the MP5/SP5 once it is polished up and refined. I wanted to others that were looking into this feature a heads up as it's not perfect, yet.

Offline MrBulp

• Confirmed
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 07:19:36 AM »
Does anyone know if the apk posted in the downloads section has changed at all in the past few days?

I had everything working on an older Android device (Amazon Fire with Cyanogenmod) with 4.4.2, but it will not run and closes down if BT is turned on stating, "Unfortunately, GoldenMotor has stopped." If BT is disabled, I will be prompted with, "An app wants to turn on Bluetooth." "Deny -- Allow"

It doesn't matter which I choose as it turns on BT (even if I choose "Deny"). Then once I tap the red "b" icon and search for "GM" I am faced with the same shutdown of the app with the same message, "Unfortunately, GoldenMotor has stopped."

I tried clearing, my cache for the specific app, clearing data, uninstall/reinstalling, factory reset on the handset and only installing the GM app to no avail.. same results. Seems like the app and my BT stack are not getting along.

** I had the exact same experience attempting to load the GM app on an Android 4.4.4, 5.1.1, and 6.0.1 device  (Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S6, and Nexus 6P)

hi Ecobully,

the same things happen when I try to connect BT to my Asus Zenfon phone.. the Magic Meter app stopped working only when I setting the controller to 24v & use the Magic Pie as Power Generator..

the app works flawlessly when I set back to 48v & use Magic Pie as elektric motor.. :).

Offline Vanarebane

• Confirmed
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2016, 06:56:47 AM »
Does anyone has a information in what state has a Smart Meter app for IOS? Does anyone already developing it or not?

Offline Lioelec

• Confirmed
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2016, 07:57:55 PM »
Since average 1 years IOS app shoud be "comming soon". Could you inform when it will be avalable?? 2016,2017,2018 ?? :-\

Offline Dan77062

• Confirmed
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2016, 09:48:13 PM »
I have installed the bluetooth device and app and it is working fine.  I'm interested in monitoring the data directly to use the motor in a robot and the data as encoder data.  With an oscilloscope I can see that the data exchange with the app is 9600 baud.  Data comes through with that setting but the characters are random-looking, so something is wrong with the settings (9600,n,1).
I tried other common baud settings but they don't work, so I think 9600 baud is correct.  I can see that the app sends a request and the controller responds with data, but I can't read the data.

Has anyone else decoded the serial data?

Offline Dan77062

• Confirmed
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2016, 09:20:15 PM »
Serial data question resolved.  The data does come across at 9600,n,1.
The data is in integers, not characters, which had me baffled for a while.  The data is issued in response to a serial input sequence of 7 numbers.  The response is a sequence of 15 numbers.

Within those 15 values are high and low bits for voltage, current, and time delay.  The time delay corresponds to the time between hall sensor pulses, so the inverse of that value corresponds to rpm.
A simple arduino sketch commands the response, receives it, and calculates voltage, current, and speed (rpm calibrated with wheel diameter).

Unfortunately, there is no output bit for reverse, which makes sense since all the controller can sense is hall pulses, so if the wheel is moved passively, there is no way to know if it is going forward or reverse.

Offline Mac5

• Confirmed
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2016, 03:48:15 AM »
Is there a way to reset the bluetooth dongle? When I first got mine it would flash rapidly then go solid once connected to the app, but now no matter what I try when I turn on the battery I get a constant light and the app cant find the dongle. I've tried flashing the controller with the latest firmware update with no luck. I've actually been in contact with Gary about returning it but I would like to try and make it work. Also when it did work for the brief period at the start  I could change parameters in the controller but it would not save them.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2016, 09:56:06 AM »
Hi Mac,

My Dongle just flashes once when I initially turn the power on, the blue LED only stays on continuously while it is connected to my phone, so it definitely sounds like you have a problem with either the Bluetooth dongle or the controller itself.

If you are able to program the controller and correctly save the settings using the USB programming cable (and then leave the dongle disconnected) if the motor still runs correctly and does not lose settings, then the controller might be OK.
However, if the motor does not run, (assuming the controller voltage is correctly set for your battery) then the controller will need to be replaced.  :(

When you say that you "could change parameters in the controller but it would not save them", was it actually making a difference to the controller operation?

If the parameters are changed, but are not saved to the controller, they will have no effect on the controller's operation. But if they were initially saved correctly to the controller and they did make a difference, but the settings were not being retained after being powered off and back on again, I would say it was a controller fault rather than the Bluetooth dongle.

When you originally changed the settings with the Bluetooth App (which I fully understand you are no longer unable to do) and tried to save them to the controller, did you receive an error or confirmation message?

And were you able to read the parameters from the controller to check that the settings had been saved correctly?

One other thing to check that can cause problems with the programming is the unused wires for the pedelec and reverse.
If these are exposed and allowing the copper wires to touch against each other, this can prevent correct programing of the controller

For anyone who has a reverse switch fitted, please note that the switch must always be in the OFF position while saving parameters to the controller.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that you will be able to cure the problem without replacing either the controller or the dongle, so it looks like you will need to contact Gary again. 

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:42:02 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Mac5

• Confirmed
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2016, 11:40:52 AM »
My Dongle just flashes once when I initially turn the power on, the blue LED only stays on continuously while it is connected to my phone, so it definitely sounds like you have a problem with either the Bluetooth dongle or the controller itself.
When it actually worked it would flash rapidly and then go solid when connected and it's a lime colour rather than blue. Now its solid all the time and unreachable by the app.

When you say that you "could change parameters in the controller but it would not save them", was it actually making a difference to the controller operation? No

When you originally changed the settings with the Bluetooth App (which I fully understand you are no longer unable to do) and tried to save them to the controller, did you receive an error or confirmation message?
No nothing at all happened. I've watched Gary's video's on programming with the app and nothing like that happened. The (modify parameter success) never appeared.

One other thing to check that can cause problems with the programming is the unused wires for the pedelec and reverse.
If these are exposed and allowing the copper wires to touch against each other, this can prevent correct programing of the controller

That wire has a silicone cap on it so no problem there. If there's no way to factory reset the dongle then it must be faulty which is a pain in the ass considering I'm in Australia and it will be a drawn out process for return and then purchase a cycle analyst instead.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 11:43:37 AM by Mac5 »

Offline Asterix

• Confirmed
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2016, 03:46:47 PM »
Serial data question resolved.  The data does come across at 9600,n,1.
The data is in integers, not characters, which had me baffled for a while.  The data is issued in response to a serial input sequence of 7 numbers.  The response is a sequence of 15 numbers.

Within those 15 values are high and low bits for voltage, current, and time delay.  The time delay corresponds to the time between hall sensor pulses, so the inverse of that value corresponds to rpm.
A simple arduino sketch commands the response, receives it, and calculates voltage, current, and speed (rpm calibrated with wheel diameter).

Unfortunately, there is no output bit for reverse, which makes sense since all the controller can sense is hall pulses, so if the wheel is moved passively, there is no way to know if it is going forward or reverse.
that is an interesting experiment.
You can also log the communication at bluetooth level.
If you have an android phone with CyanogenMod, there is a nice feature of the OS that traces all bluetooth communication (it just requires to set a checkbox).
See my findings at http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=6104.0
You can then compare the data with your hardware spy at serial line.
We may wait a long time until the bluetooth APP is fixed, so may be it could be interesting to have some DIY-alternative based on a small microcontroler that does very simple things (display data, change PAS level...) .

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2017, 06:05:46 PM »
Couple questions in regrads to this motor. The website states the motor can go up to 1,000 watts, yet says it's top speed is about 45kph. I have a 500 watt motor, and I don't know it's top speed. I have gotten it close to 60 kph once. Is the 45 kph speed, based on Gary riding the bike ? If so, then it could be different for each person ?

Also, I watched a You Tube clip on the bluetooh device, and from what I understood. You would need to have both the USB cable and Bluetooth device to use the BT ? The video mentioned it might need a firmware update.