Author Topic: Climbing on hills and uplands  (Read 32526 times)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Climbing on hills and uplands
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 08:47:41 PM »
"The phase currents could be up to 120 amps at 40 amps battery current" - what does it mean? How is it?

No Idea, That's one for the electronics wizards amongst us!     ;D

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2011, 02:57:58 AM »
"The phase currents could be up to 120 amps at 40 amps battery current" - what does it mean? How is it?

No Idea, That's one for the electronics wizards amongst us!     ;D

Ya no kidding, I cant wait for the links, pictures, graphs, maybe even a video :)

Gary

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2011, 08:40:43 AM »
Leslie isn't here any more, he could have set us straight!

maybe Alan knows?  ;D

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Phase wire current
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2011, 11:46:37 AM »
maybe Alan knows?  ;D

Unfortunately I don't know the answer either. ???
I'm struggling to get my head around it too, as I can't figure out how the current can vary that much if the voltage is virtually the same throughout the complete circuit:

Battery Supply -> high FETs -> phase leads -> windings -> phase leads -> Low FETs -> Battery Ground.

With an external controller, it should be possible to put an AC ammeter on the phase wires and measure the actual figures involved, but as I don't have either an external controller or an AC ammeter, I am unable to try it. :(

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but sometimes I need to see things with my own eyes before I'm totally convinced.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 02:17:54 AM by Bikemad »

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2011, 11:50:05 AM »
I remember the guys at ES always saying the phase currents are always higher, and in the infineon there is settings for battery and phase current.

The only thing I can think of is that it's maybe like some kind of amplifier, and the transistors somehow amplify the current?

I must see if I can route around es and find out!

Mark

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2011, 01:07:42 PM »
Hi All

The idea is that the phase current can be multiples higher than the battery current, in certain situations.....

For instance, in order to get fat me and bike moving from a dead stop, the amp requirement needs to much higher initially.once moving, the current backs off...phase current can also be known as peak current, and typically can only be maintained for very short periods of time, i.e. 1-5 seconds, and is a multiplication of the battery current....typically 2.5 times higher than the battery current setting

So, the battery current is the continuous current that can come down form the battery ( obviously), but the phase current is the maximum current the controller can send down each phase wire for burst periods...

If your still unsure, picture when pushing a car, how much more effort it gets to get the car moving, versus how much energy it takes once the car is moving to keep it moving  ( or full shopping trolley etc)...

In the infineon I have, the continuous current is set at 30A, the phase current set at 75A, and the block time ( how long can the full phase current be maintained) is set at 1 second.....
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2011, 02:17:42 PM »
yo yo

I'm no guru, but I do know it is with a PWM or some kind of modulation to multiply the current based on the given resistance of the motor. Have a looksy at this post

:D