Author Topic: Climbing on hills and uplands  (Read 32532 times)

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Climbing on hills and uplands
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 07:57:18 PM »
personnel,
 you wrote: "it's the shunt, the problem...not the programmable setting"...

Do you know how remove this shunt?

Thank you

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 07:58:51 PM »
dirtyginge,
What's controller do you use? Could you please provide a link to it?
Thank you

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 08:41:40 PM »
Hi there

Ive used edward lyens infineon controllers, he does many in the range but for the pie ive used the 12 Fet version..

I am importing a 6 fet "mini monster" for my mini motor, 6 Fet 1200W peak controller.....review to follow ....

They are programmable (Lead $19), regen enabled, very powerful ( irb4110 fets) 6 fet 25A, 12 fet 65A....

lyen@hotmail.com, email him with your requirements, and he will provide you with a few options, with almost immediate shipment ( even though he builds them), 6 day shipping from USA to UK...also does lots of bits n pieces like motor tester and DC to DC converter $15...i use to run my hope 8V LED lights direct of my battery...
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 09:48:04 PM »
Thanks dirtyginge,

I'll email him

Thank you !

Offline Magzy

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 11:33:57 PM »
for starting out, the MP stock controller will be fine for most people.

I've been using it now for a couple of weeks and have clocked up 150km thus far.

Despite having 2 controllers fail on me previously this one is bearing up quite nicely.

I have ordered a lyen edition infineon controller from the US - this is a 9 fet 72v 30A controller that I believe will really bring the best out of the MP (i.e double the amps of the stock GM controller)

It's only $89 USD with about $20 international postage to outside the US and this is great value because you get the performance and reliability coupled with and customer service from Edward that is number one!

here' s some more info about it http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16998

and a review here: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/10543-review-lyen-edition-72v-controller

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 04:45:32 PM »
I've got prices from LYEN:

18 FET Low RDS MOSFET Overclocker Ready LYEN Controller $199
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16605

24 FET 10000Watts Muscular High Current LYEN Controller $299
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19612

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 04:48:30 PM »

Which Controllers are better - from LYEN or from http://Kellycontroller.com/products.php? 

What are your opinions?

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 08:54:51 PM »
strange, but I thought id replied to this question already, have I drunk too much tonight ?

ok, here is a few thoughts, my own thoughts though

12 FET controller is plenty for pie, ( 48V @ 60A = 2880 watts, this may fry poor pie), 18 or 24 is too much

indeed, I received a minimonster controller from lyen recently for my minimotor, even this little 6 fet monster puts out a staggering 1400 Watts, but 12 fet give you plentyyy

On my 12 fet, I run constant 750 watts with peaks of 2700 watts, no modification to pie, altough strong TORQUE arms are needed, ( and rear motor only, not front)

Now I understand that the Kelly controllers are very similar, as are the controllers from both ecrazyman and "methods" ( endless-sphere) and also ebikes.ca...similar boards, similar high end mosfets multiple shunts etc.....

Kelly controllers and ebikes.ca controllers come very highly rated, as is lyen's however as edward lyen is an individual not a company, he builds your controller to spec, with special  "customisation" if required, send with very very cheap postage and sends as a "gift" ( it is a gift, mannah, whence you put on pie after GM controller ), so the overall cost for me was much cheaper from Edward lyen...his customer service and communication was excellent ( so was ebikes.ca who I have also dealt with, but I pay customs charges etc)

I cannot tell you from my own experience which is better, but I can tell you a 12 fet controller from lyen is more than man enough for a pie....i have tuned mine down to 25A, as every time I hit a hole in road on 40 amps, my front wheel wants to lift because my thumb bounces on the throttle..) he also uses proper IRB4110 mosfets, rated 100V and the controller at 48V settings can handle up to 84V :o

Which is better, I don't know....where do I shop for now and future....lyen@hotmail.com  ;D

( got other bits too, voltage out PAS, honeywell ss41 hall sensors, ebrakes, a controller for each season....etc etc)

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 09:17:50 PM »
Thank you, dirtyGinge !

You wrote:"rear motor only, not front" - why? Is that because the holes on the road?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 09:42:52 PM by dmitryl »

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 09:46:57 PM »
putting 2000 watts plus through a front fork is dangerous on aluminium...if it fails, you loose teeth and nose...if you put miles like mine, aluminium fails (4500km)

plus in wet you have problems with grip...if rear skids....no problem, if front skids....dentist

a steel fork might be ok, but cost more than bike

check advice on endless-sphere forums.......

sorry for english, sick child in other arm.......

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 06:22:23 AM »
+ you will go through tyres fairly fast @ 40 amps!  ;D

I'm convinced the pie could take 80 amps constant, though don't blame me if your pie fries!  :D

When I was using it @80 amps the hill climbing was crazy, but I was beating the crap out of the ping!

I climbed a really steep hill @20mph no problem to it and It was barely warm!

I wouldn't use the pie above 48-52 volts because it's most efficient at that voltage!

If I were to do it again I would get a Kelly controller because they have some fantastic configuration settings that I don't think any other controllers have. You can set certain things in the infineons but it's not the same!

With the Kelly you can set it to your batteries specs and you can change it when you get a better battery!

I think the best batteries for the pie are without doubt some high rated LiPo, they are the best in the business, and can last up to 800 cycles these days with proper care.

I keep on emphasizing LiPO because it's a fair bit lighter than LiFeP04 and can take offer very high C rates!

6x 6S Zippy LiPo 8ah to make 44 volt 24 ah battery = 7.5 kgs compared to 48 volt 20 ah ping = 10 kgs! and 30C discharge rate!

So that's 24 ah x 30 = 720 amps continuous discharge!  So put that in your pie and smoke it!  ::)  ;D

Ping 48 volt 20 ah = 40 amps constant discharge 1000 cycles @ 1C =20 amps continuous!

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 06:46:01 AM »
http://Kellycontroller.com/keb7233024v-72v100a33kw-bike-brushless-controller-p-273.html

The above controller looks good and if I were buying the Pie again this is the controller I would get!

peak 100 amps for 30 seconds or 50 amps continuous, or you can get a controller that can output more amps continuous and keep watch on it or install a thermistor and connect it to the Kelly for monitoring! I feel the 12G Alpha wire eco would handle 60-80 amps continuous and can be got through the axel of the Pie!

One of the best things about the Kelly controller is the ability to adjust the take off current because the pie over 40 amps will definitely raise the front wheel really fast, I had a bad fall @ 80 amps where I was going around a bend at about 10 mph then pulled the throttle full blast and immediately it threw me up in the air and It dragged me along the road. I couldn't let go of the throttle in time!

SO soft start can be essential   and ultra strong torque arms is an absolute must and keep check to see nothing comes loose! I can guarantee no hill too steep for the pie above 60 amps, longevity is another matter but I had no issues @ 40 amps!

The biggest problem is bogging the motor down at too slow  speeds and high currents, the quicker the speed builds up the quicker the current falls back and that's what you need to achieve! So if you have ultra steep hills I recommend 50 amps +!

Mark

Offline Magzy

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 04:34:28 AM »
I feel the 12G Alpha wire eco would handle 60-80 amps continuous and can be got through the axel of the Pie!

You're referring to the phase wires going through the axel here right?

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2011, 03:12:27 PM »

You're referring to the phase wires going through the axel here right?

Sorry magzy, indeed you are right, I keep messing that one up lol. The phase currents could be up to 120 amps at 40 amps battery current! SO I have great faith in the alpha wire!

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 03:15:16 PM by o00scorpion00o »

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 08:43:07 PM »
"The phase currents could be up to 120 amps at 40 amps battery current" - what does it mean? How is it?