Author Topic: My Pie has not worked from day 1  (Read 9694 times)

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
My Pie has not worked from day 1
« on: February 10, 2011, 07:59:02 PM »
  I would say hi and all that kind stuff , but I am fed up . The onlyone who will respond to my Emails is Gary in Canada . No help from the US and zero from the Chinese . I have been trying to get by Pie working for 2 weeks . Nothing but lights on the throttle . No hum no wheel spin nothing . Gary helped me as much as he could , but as he said " if you would have bought it from me I would have sent you a new Motor but you bought it from China " . I even ordered the USB cord from Gary even though he said it probably wouldn't fix the problem . Let me tell you how much fun it was getting my bike to by computer room because thats where my piece of crap windows box is .My laptop is a Macbook . You can buy a Pie but not Apple . I plan on sending this Pie back to China so I can spend more money on this piece of junk and probably get noyhing in return . At least my 3 year old Crystalite even with a bad Mofset works , the Pie doesn't . Lets see if I can get a response from someone . I personally would like my money back then I could buy a different Kit from someone who cares about customer care unlike  the Chinese . You bought it you figure out how to make it work . Rodmiami

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
Re: My Pie has not worked from day 1
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 10:01:04 PM »
I think the forum can feel your pain.....credit to Gary in canada who as usual, a man that can be depended upon

Do you have a tool to measure voltage ? ( multimeter), are you comfortable in doing some testing ?

From my experience, the forum is always willing to help, and im sure they can begin the process of helping you getting it working...now im sure you are angry about that, as its not the forums job...but none the less, they can and do always help.....

GM CHina......bloody sort out your customer service...even in endless-sphere forums, golden motor is getting a major reputation as a brand to STAY AWAY from ( Manufacturers to avoid )

Which is a damn shame, as the hardware is fantastic.....Does anyone GM China listen  to the forums ???

GM Canada , you are gold, great hardware, great shipping, beyond fantastic customer support...we thoroughly recommend you to any newcomer reading the forums, canada will not let you down :)
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 01:00:46 AM »
  I would say hi and all that kind stuff , but I am fed up . The onlyone who will respond to my Emails is Gary in Canada . No help from the US and zero from the Chinese . I have been trying to get by Pie working for 2 weeks . Nothing but lights on the throttle . No hum no wheel spin nothing . Gary helped me as much as he could , but as he said " if you would have bought it from me I would have sent you a new Motor but you bought it from China " . I even ordered the USB cord from Gary even though he said it probably wouldn't fix the problem . Let me tell you how much fun it was getting my bike to by computer room because thats where my piece of crap windows box is .My laptop is a Macbook . You can buy a Pie but not Apple . I plan on sending this Pie back to China so I can spend more money on this piece of junk and probably get noyhing in return . At least my 3 year old Crystalite even with a bad Mofset works , the Pie doesn't . Lets see if I can get a response from someone . I personally would like my money back then I could buy a different Kit from someone who cares about customer care unlike  the Chinese . You bought it you figure out how to make it work . Rodmiami

Did you receive the USB cable yet? I tried it on two different wheels to be sure it worked. I know you mentioned you have a 36 volt battery and it is a posibilty the controller is set at 48 volts . It is a possibilty the battery is to low to fire up a 48v set controller. Before you do anything do this. Run the software. Ignore that first screen, its not directed at you or me :) Conect the usb, click conect in the software. click get the cofiguration and take a note or screen capture of all the settings as they are before you do any modfications. Let us know what the settings are. My guess is it will be all default at 24volts.

Gary

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 03:15:49 PM »
  Thanks again Gary , I got the USB cord . Then I borrowed my cousins old windows laptop , which is so old I couldn't get it to down load the program . Then I brought the bike, a beach cruiser thru the house to my computer room . Anyway , what I discovered was this . Max current was set at 1A cont. , Max current Peak set at 1A . Motor type BDLC . Phase set at 60 degrees ? Motor voltage set at none, no voltage was set . Forward set to 100% Rev disabled  and Brake set at zero .
  Could you please tell me what to set them at for my 36v 16a Lipo battery . The Phase could be the problem , actually alot of things were wrong with the programing . Thanks again Rodmiami

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 03:30:33 PM »
Rod,

Try the settings shown in the attachment below and let us know what happens.
If you're unlikely to use reverse, you can simply leave it disabled.

I note you have a 36V battery, but several users have reported more power when using the 24V voltage setting. ;)

I assumed your 36V 16Ah pack is a GM rack pack (Lithium Manganese), not a LiPo pack (Lithium Polymer).
If it is a standard LiPo pack without any Battery Management System, it would be much safer to set the voltage to 36V to allow the controller's Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC) to protect your pack from becoming over discharged.

Alan

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 03:41:20 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 04:58:35 PM »
 Bikemad , your correct the battery is Lithium Ion . I tried all the changes per the chart . Still nothing . The battery is charged to 41.2 volts . The throttle tests 4.90v on the red lead , .80 to 4.04 on the white lead . I get 3 beeps if I unplug the throttle and one beep if I push and hold the cruise control. All lights are on , on the throttle . I beleave that the red light is not suppose to be on / low battery .I have checked continuity on the wiring from the mini plugs to the controller in the wheel . The only thing that I can assume is that the controller is defective . Thanks again Rodmiami

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 06:12:28 PM »
Im guessing as I am away from the ability ti test but default is usually

24v - in your casetry 36v
30 a continuous
50 a peak
bldc
phase 120
pas high
direction forward
speed 100
reverse disabled
regen 100

try this , see what happens..

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 11:11:24 PM »
  All lights are on , on the throttle . I beleave that the red light is not suppose to be on / low battery

I guess I was a little late with the last post, oh well thats the beauty of the forum. all three lights indicate full charge. As the batteries dies off the lights go out one at a time.

Gary

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 03:04:47 PM »
 Thank you Bikemad and Gary , I reset the controller to Gary's settings and still nothing . Should the brakes be an open circuit that closes when the brakes are applied . I think my Crystalite opens the circuit when braking but it has no regen . I am just looking for other reasons for no wheel response . Thanks Rodmiami

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 04:30:11 PM »
Should the brakes be an open circuit that closes when the brakes are applied.

Yes, it should be an open circuit that closes when the brakes are applied, try unplugging the brake wires and see if the motor runs.

Alan

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 05:26:08 PM »
  Alan , I already tried that and it didn't work . I have also tried Garys suggestion of shorting the red and white lead on the throttle . That was last week . This Pie may be headed for the trash dump . Unless I decide to remove the enternal controller and replace it with external , more money and I am not very good at micro soldering . Rodmiami

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 06:13:08 PM »
It might be a good idea to check that the motor side of your throttle wiring is working correctly by doing a simple test with the harness disconnected.
A small piece of wire (reshaped paper clips work well for this) inserted between contacts no 4 and 6 on the motor socket should make the motor run at full speed:

Make sure the wheel is raised off the ground and that the power is switched ON before you insert the wire.
Be very careful to only put it into the correct holes or you could damage the controller or wiring. ???

If the motor works, the fault must be somewhere in the main harness or the connector plug itself (or one of the connectors).

If the motor does not spin when 4 and 6 are linked, I would say the fault is either the controller itself, or the wiring coming from it that exits from the axle.

This diagram shows the wiring on my early Magic Pie, but as least it shows where contacts 4 and 6 are located:

Click image to view full size.

Alan

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 07:34:38 PM »
  Alan, thanks for sticking with me on this . This did not work . I don't know if you read one of my posts where I stated that after Emailing Gary last week , I opened the wheel and tested from all of the mini plugs thru the wheel connector to the controller . All of the connections tested good . The fact that I ordered the kit from China , there was no instructions ,no warranty only a packing list . From what I can see the controller is defective . With the uncaring attitude from GM China I can't see any way to resolve the issue unless I can order a new controller . But not from China , I will never order anything from China ever again.Thanks for your help .  I guess I will spend my time repairing the small problem on my Crystalite , But I won't be able to convert my Beach Cruiser .Thanks again Rod Perry Miami Florida

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 08:26:02 PM »
I have got a faulty loom, so when it stops working, I have to wiggle it a bit to reconect it, sometimes my new pie will appear just not to work becuase I moved the loom an inch.......I guess once you have tried the above, move the cable in different positions....

Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 09:02:44 PM »
dirtyGinge , what is a loom ? I may not know much about GM junk ,but after retiring from Bellsouth Telephone Company after 33 years I know how to test wiring . The wiring is good to the controller , the controller is not and with Golden Motors reputation , I really don't expect much . I will be contacting Paypal , I only have 45 days and I have been screwing around with this for about 3 weeks . They make good batterys though . Rodmiami