Author Topic: Are There Any Magie Pie Users In The UK?  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Aldby

• I have been an e-biker / pedelec rider since 2007
Are There Any Magie Pie Users In The UK?
« on: September 03, 2010, 05:41:14 PM »
Hi,

Are there any Magic Pie users or owners in the UK and what are your experiences with it?
What Battery are you using?
Where did you buy from?

Thanks,

John

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Are There Any Magie Pie Users In The UK?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 03:27:21 PM »
Hi John,

I'm in the UK too, and I bought my Magic Pie (direct from GM in China) when they were first launched on 20th October 2009, but unfortunately it took a while to arrive due to the large demand.

I had to modify my hub (see this post for more details) to allow correct centring of the rim, so that I could use wider tyres on my bike. But as a direct result of this, GM quickly altered the design of the original hub to allow the rim to be centred (and the excessive spoke angle has also been sorted). So if you buy a Magic Pie now, you should not have any problem with the centring.
I have been using my modified Pie over the last six months without any problems whatsoever, apart from the dog struggling to keep up on occasions.

The rebuilt wheel continues to runs true, and the spokes (which have not been touched since the rebuild) are still nice and tight.

I use Lithium Polymer battery packs, but I will not recommend them, only because of the possible danger of explosion with these batteries if they are abused too much. If you are fully aware of the risks, know what you're doing, and are ably to closely monitor the charging process each time, then I see no reason why they should not be used.
The GM battery packs are considerably safer than LiPo packs and are perfect for use with the Pie.
On a 25.9 Volt LiPo pack (29.4 Volt max), my 26" Pie has a top speed of around 15mph, which is just about right for the maximum speed allowable under the current UK Laws.
On a 51.8 Volt LiPo pack (58.8 Volt max), my 26" Pie has a top speed of around 25mph, unfortunately this is too high to be legal in the UK, so it's for off road use only.  ;)
I would expect GM's 24V and 48V Batteries to give similar top speeds to what I get with my LiPo packs.

I didn't like the way the pedelec function works because there is no control over the throttle while pedalling and the assistance can be too much at times, so I have since removed the pedelec unit.

The regenerative braking is very effective for stopping quickly, but can be too much if you just want to slow down slightly. This means that the brakes need to be released and reapplied on a regular basis on longer inclines. Variable regen would completely solve this annoying problem, but unfortunately there is no sign of it being included just yet.

The large diameter of the Magic Pie combined with the additional magnets/poles produces very good torque, which makes it ideal for hill climbing or for pulling additional weight. Unfortunately there is a downside, there is also an increase in the resistance to pedalling when the motor is not being used. If you plan on doing a lot of riding without the assistance of the motor, the drag of the motor (and the additional weight of the motor and battery pack etc.) will require far more effort to maintain higher speeds.

The geared minihubs have a freewheel device to eliminate unwanted motor drag when not being used and are a lot lighter too, but they cannot be used for regenerative braking and are not as powerful or as fast as the Magic Pie. 

I find the cruise control feature very useful when walking the dog or cycling with other cyclists, as it allows me to set a constant speed to match their pace.

Apart from the aforementioned centring problem, I am very satisfied with my purchase, and impressed with its hill climbing capabilities.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:15:08 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Aldby

• I have been an e-biker / pedelec rider since 2007
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 10:45:56 AM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the information.
I'm not totally convinced Magic Pie is for me and think an Ezee kit may be more suited to my needs.
You don't by any chance live anywhere near Milton Keynes do you. I would like to see a Magic Pie in the flesh.

John

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 12:43:57 AM »
You don't by any chance live anywhere near Milton Keynes do you. I would like to see a Magic Pie in the flesh.

Sorry John, I'm about four hours away in sunny Devon, but if you are ever down in this way, you're more than welcome to drop by and take a look. ;)

Alan

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 07:38:39 AM »
Hi,

Are there any Magic Pie users or owners in the UK and what are your experiences with it?
What Battery are you using?
Where did you buy from?

Thanks,

John

Hopefullly I will be very soon.   :)

I was initally looking at a 250 mini motor, but have since jumped up the ladder and am now going for the following for my mountain bike.....  Magic Pie rear wheel with internal controller, rear touring rack 001, 48v12ah battery, 6 cog cassette and rear disc brake set,,  all to be ordered straight from GM China.

Andrew

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 10:18:16 AM »
I'm in the UK in Gloucester I have two mp's one early internal controller and a new external controller which I haven't fitted to a bike yet.