Author Topic: Battery lost power  (Read 2931 times)

Offline Henkav

Battery lost power
« on: August 03, 2010, 09:14:27 AM »
Hi my name is Henk from the Netherlands.
I've got my Magic Pie kit a few weeks ago and after some trouble with putting it on my Giant bike, I finaly could test everyting.
The first 3 rides did go ok.
Yesterday however, I heard a little bang behind me from the battery pak and I lost power.
So, the rest of the journey I did it the old was.  :(
I put the battery on the charger last night and this morning I tested the bite again, but I've got only very little power.
I used a Volt meter and I measured 32 Volt. (My battert pak is a 36 Volt 12 AH.)
Wat can I try or do to make it 36 Volt again.

Thanks Henk

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Battery lost power
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 11:20:40 AM »
You may need to send the battery back to GM to be looked at by the GM technicians and engineers.  They design this stuff so they will know exactly how to deal with this problem.

It is an expensive battery so all care must be taken when approaching your problem. These things are best managed by GM official staff.

Email tom zhourenli@goldenmotor.com with a short email explaining your situation.

Eg

Greetings TOM.

My name is (insert here)

My battery is failing.  I hear a pop noise from pack and now does not have good range .

The pack was purchased from (insert here) order number (insert here) on this date (insert here)

Please advise.

Thank you.

Sincerely.

(Insert name here.)

I think it is important the batteries are sent home to find any errors so GM can improve our products..  But that's my opinion.

Bring it on

Offline Henkav

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 03:29:19 PM »
Thanx Tom for youre reaction.
Do you know what it will cost to send it back. (I'm from the Netherlands)

Is it possible to break the seal and find out myself what the problem is? (I'm an electronic engeneer)
And than send de defect cells back?

Greatings Henk

Offline dicko

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 02:58:01 AM »
Hello 
Any luck with your battery? ive also had mine a short period and now having troubles.

I've had my E-Bike up and running for around 6 weeks now and it’s running well, until the last few times I've ridden it. The first 4 weeks I could ride to and from work on one charge, 9km to work, 9km return. Last week, I could only ride to work and halfway back, and the battery cuts out. A few days ago, I could only ride to work 9km before needing a recharge. Nothing has changed, I ride the same way each time, with hard tyres. I noticed on the site that a 48v12ah battery should do 50km on a full 48v charge, but im not getting anywhere close to this. I always use regen breaking where possible, and also peddle aswell. Is there a way to check if any lithium cells are faulty?

ive checked voltages as suggested by Goldenmotor, but now havent heard anything back regarding replacement under warrenty.
Have you had anyluck from GM?

regards

Offline Henkav

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 07:56:45 AM »
Hi Dicko,

I've had a mail from Tom to test some voltages within the battery.
The battery voltage was 32 Volts. (I have a 36 Volt 12 Ah set)
Every cell was 3,2 Volt. So way to low.
When I was trying to charge them with the charger, the charger went defect.
So now I have no working Battery and no charger.
I don't get any response from GM for a new set.
I first have to b uy a new charger myself so I can go on testing the battery.
I believe the cells within the battery are of bad quality.
So if 1 cell is defect, it will bring the total voltages of the battery down.
The lifo4 system isn't perfect jet.
If I had new that a month ago, I wouldn't have buy the system by GM.

Greatings Henk

ps 9 Km isn't that mutch for a 48 Volt battery.
So it will be defect as well.