Author Topic: How to buy spokes  (Read 4868 times)

Leoaus

How to buy spokes
« on: August 02, 2010, 02:02:04 PM »

I have a rear wheel Magic Pie 700c since march 2010. It appears I am suffering as others with spokes coming loose. I plan to loctite / glue them in to cure the problem once and for all.

However I need a new stainless steel spoke. I keep emailing golden motor to purchase spokes but they don't reply to emails.

My bikes out of action and I can't purchase spokes. How do you get GM to reply to an email for a sale thats not in their shopping cart.

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
Re: How to buy spokes
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 12:22:02 AM »
Send the following to sales@goldenmotor.com:

I need (xx) spokes for the 700CC rear wheel.

Please quote me the price for the spokes and
      shipping to (your country).

Fill in the number of spokes and the country.

DO NOT ADD ANYTHING ELSE.

They will answer a short email that asks for a price.

Anything else will take time to understand and answer.

Paypal with notes that them what you want and where to
ship them.

Leoaus

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 08:01:05 AM »

Thanks for that e-lmer.

Unfortunately I have tried your style of email along with 5 of my own simple attempts with no joy. I'm getting my friend Yimen (who is Chinese) to send it in Chinese. Yimen thinks they can read it no problem, they just can't be bothered cause there nothing in for them.

I now don't believe they will reply to the email. It seems they will respond to the shopping cart and thats it. I have emailed yaoyuan@golden... , nothing.

No back up for parts. Consider that when you make a purchase

Not happy  >:(

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 01:31:49 PM »

I have a rear wheel Magic Pie 700c since march 2010. It appears I am suffering as others with spokes coming loose. I plan to loctite / glue them in to cure the problem once and for all.

However I need a new stainless steel spoke. I keep emailing golden motor to purchase spokes but they don't reply to emails.

My bikes out of action and I can't purchase spokes. How do you get GM to reply to an email for a sale thats not in their shopping cart.

Hi Leoaus

Since March I believe the spoking pattern has changed to help with this problem. If you want to go with the original spoking pattern, Two questions...

1 - Can you measure the length from the inside off the elbow to the end of the spoke?

2 - What country are you in?

If you want to go with the new spoking pattern, we would have to determine what length you would need. But that makes the spokes you have already useless and they are expensive.

Gary

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: New spoke pattern
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 02:03:13 PM »
If you want to go with the new spoking pattern, we would have to determine what length you would need. But that makes the spokes you have already useless and they are expensive.

Gary,

Unfortunately it is not possible to use the new spoke pattern on the original hubs because the hole spacing on the hub will not permit it.

Click image to enlarge.

The original hubs can either be laced with crossed spokes (as per standard production) or laced radially using shorter spokes, but radial spoking is not generally recommended on drive wheels and should not be used with disc brakes because of the extreme torque forces involved.

To sum it up, only the more recently modified hubs can (and should) use the modified spoke pattern for which they were specifically made. ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 02:11:14 PM by Bikemad »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 02:27:14 PM »
Well there you go..

Thanks Allen

Gary

Leoaus

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 01:58:09 PM »

Thanks Gary and Allan!

For what its worth the spokes are 160mm from elbow to end.

I'm in Australia

I have been contacted regarding spoke purchase.  :)

I don't have disk brake's. The main brake action on the Magic Pie is 'regenerative braking'

On another post someone else said they had loctied /glued spokes in and it fixed there problem, so I planned to go with that idea. Its the sort of thing I would do on my motor bikes for troublesome bolts.

How expensive is expensive for spokes?

Hopefully I will back on the road soon.