Author Topic: Range decrease of 48v gm battery on mp, help needed.  (Read 7870 times)

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Range decrease of 48v gm battery on mp, help needed.
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 03:18:37 PM »
My normal commute is 9 km, so about 18 km total and than it's going to be charged overnight. So it couldn't be the 100% dod discharge or something like that. It hasn't been above 50 degrees in the netherlands as long as I can remember so that also wasn't the problem.

I've been looking at the A123 cells aswell as they can give that much amount of Amps cont. so they might also be able to charge faster and that's very important when riding electric

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Range decrease of 48v gm battery on mp, help needed.
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 03:46:52 PM »
My normal commute is 9 km, so about 18 km total and than it's going to be charged overnight. So it couldn't be the 100% dod discharge or something like that. It hasn't been above 50 degrees in the netherlands as long as I can remember so that also wasn't the problem.

I've been looking at the A123 cells aswell as they can give that much amount of Amps cont. so they might also be able to charge faster and that's very important when riding electric

Phew.  I wasnt sure how you would accept my post.  You are indeed a good person Hardcore.

I will do a test I the sun tomorrow with an aluminium  controller box and leave it in the sun sealed with a temp probe inside it.  Its not too hot here in Australia ATM moment as its autumn.  The test should be interesting to say the least.

I will do another test in sumer as a follow up in a few months if I remember..

We can see if the temp rises above ambient temperature.  Remembering the BMS and cells make heat too.

I am not saying it is any fault of users of the GM packs.  Just a new way to look at things and they way we treat out gear, maybe we all become aware of how to do things differently.

If the tests I do prove that temperature could be the cause of premature failure.  We have better advice to give new customers.

Like do not leave you pack in the hot summer sun for longer periods.

I have seen my SLA suffer loss of capacity when they are left in the sun for long periods and they get too hot almost to the touch, and I do make sure I now park it under shade.  This does make a remarkable difference to the pack life, but again different chemicals behave differently.

Anyway, I hope you get some reply from GM or at least closure to your ongoing issues soon Hardcore..

Bring it on