Author Topic: New Pie Order Option???  (Read 10973 times)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
New Pie Order Option???
« on: July 08, 2010, 05:48:37 PM »
Hi folks, I was looking around the Gm site today and went to the order form and there I noticed Magic Pie option with internal + external controller? WTF?

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 12:40:05 PM by o00scorpion00o »

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: New Pie Order Option???
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 06:06:24 PM »
Anyone got any Info on this?

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 06:50:27 AM »
Yes, GM has started offer MagicPie with external controller version as some customers request such setup.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 10:26:11 AM »
Yes, GM has started offer MagicPie with external controller version as some customers request such setup.

Id assume the pie has the phase and hall wires comming out of the hub amd the controller comes with the wheel at the same price..

I think it is a good idea and certainly the bike looks much neater with the internal controller.  I do love the look.

But I like the idea of being able to push it to its limits for good off road experience.

Bring it on

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 11:14:05 AM »

Hi Yao, That's really cool!  :)

May I suggest a big warning on the pie that it has got insane torque if fed by 40amps or more!!!  ;D ;D ;D  :o

This is a fantastic motor, and people that want masses of torque will love it, I just would love to compare to BMC v3. I bet it would kick its ass big time. And it's much cheaper. This motor eats hills!!! I would love to see the slappity slapdown test the pie with a good external controller.

Yao, Would it be possible that you could introduce some kind of acceleration control in your external controller? It would be really cool if one could adjust the acceleration especially on start off. As I found with the pie after modding that a slight turn of the throttle rose the wheel in the air at 40+ amps!  ;D

One other thing, How about a faster pie option, with decent torque???

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 09:50:07 PM »
Is the benefit on the external controller that it can be adjusted for a higher output current?
Why can’t this setting be applied on the internal controller?

Regards
Peter
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 09:59:54 PM »
Heat

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 10:18:11 PM »
Is the benefit on the external controller that it can be adjusted for a higher output current?
Why can’t this setting be applied on the internal controller?

Regards
Peter

I'm sure GM have tested it enough and applied a suitable limit that should suit most countries. These controllers can get very hot and the internal one won't have the ability to cool in the hub like an external one.

Gm have released the pie with external controller option by customer request, but I'm sure the initial intention was to have an internal only option!

If it's lots of torque for hill climbing or acceleration you want, then the pie with external controller will make you very happy!!!

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 07:23:07 AM »
Thank you for your reply, Scorpion.

I live in north of Sweden and we have almost no flat terrain at all, so hill climbing and acceleration is my very first priority. Bikemad’s suggestion with the smart regen, which was supposed to regen downhill at a given speed, would also be a great thing.

I assume that the internal controller is bypassed in this option and the external controller is their programmable standard controller.

Have you actually tested the MP with the external controller they offering?

Peter

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 12:28:07 PM »
Thank you for your reply, Scorpion.

I live in north of Sweden and we have almost no flat terrain at all, so hill climbing and acceleration is my very first priority. Bikemad’s suggestion with the smart regen, which was supposed to regen downhill at a given speed, would also be a great thing.

I assume that the internal controller is bypassed in this option and the external controller is their programmable standard controller.

Have you actually tested the MP with the external controller they offering?

Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes they will offer the Pie with the external magic controller.

I modified my Pie's internal controller, which I don't recommend by the way as I killed it!  ::)  Anyway on acceleration it drew around 60 amps, it's way too powerful at that kind of current especially on start off without some kind of soft start option in the controller. However the external controller has a peak of 50 amps and continuous 30 amps and I think you will be more than happy of it's hill climbing abilities. It pulled me up a fairly steep hill at 20mph drawing 30 amps.

One thing you will need to watch out for is your batteries ability to handle these currents for a sustained period! And depending on terrain and distance you might need to add 2 batteries to take the load and give you the distance you want, or if you wish, you can set the cruise at a comfortable speed, and give assistance by peddling which would increase your range!  check out ping batteries, I don't know enough about Gm's batteries to know if they are suitable for such current draw?

I have a few large but short enough hills here and I do know that phase wires and controllers can get hotter using regen and I melted a phase wire not long ago going down hill using regen, at the controller. This time I will solder them direct to the controller! but it could have added extra heat by using regen as I had climbed a steep hill just before. I would limit regen in the usb software to around 40% max or less if going down lots of steep hills!

I am in the process of setting up the Pie with an external controller , I'm still waiting for my cable to come and my magic controller. It takes a long time to get parts here, But when It's all up and running I will post my experience in the mods section! One thing for sure if you have lots of hills and need torque, you will definitely need the external controller option, unless you want to put in lots of effort by peddling! 

Anyway Good luck and keep us posted with your experiences,

Mark

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 01:28:52 PM »
Hey Mark

What wheel size are you running again?

I posted a topic on 20" cast vs. my 16" lol nobody really replied... Anywho I'm happy with both but the 20" seems to really die uphills, doesn't phase the 16" at all it just wants to eat them omm yommm yomm yommm

I'm thinking I might just beef up the solder tracks and if I do anything shunt wise, I'll use the pedelec wire output from the controller I'll never use to output a temp signal. Could always setup something automatic too like a polyswitch for current etc...

I likey your thoughts tho! Hey so whats the go, have you just got your wiring harness to resolder to the controller? Is that the stage yer upto?

Cheers

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 01:53:13 PM »
Hey Mark

What wheel size are you running again?

I posted a topic on 20" cast vs. my 16" lol nobody really replied... Anywho I'm happy with both but the 20" seems to really die uphills, doesn't phase the 16" at all it just wants to eat them omm yommm yomm yommm

I'm thinking I might just beef up the solder tracks and if I do anything shunt wise, I'll use the pedelec wire output from the controller I'll never use to output a temp signal. Could always setup something automatic too like a polyswitch for current etc...

I likey your thoughts tho! Hey so whats the go, have you just got your wiring harness to resolder to the controller? Is that the stage yer upto?

Cheers

Hi MonkeyMagic

Yes that's where I'm at now, I removed all the GM cable to the motor and have to install the 3 phase, and hall wires.

Make sure before you do any modding that you have the usb cable to turn the amps down BEFORE you go for a spin, then adjust up accordingly.

You will love the power increase and it will make you smile, or might make you scared, depending on what direction the front wheel goes when you turn the throttle. LOL  :o  ;D  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Again I would love a soft start option in the controller. Or a low, med, Hi switch I see on some controllers!

I am using a 26" rim.

Oh I went in to your post and saw your bike, Nice Job  ;)

I don't know if your GM battery will tolerate such power, You might have to set current limits to what the battery is capable of!

I just got my cable so off I go. talk later.

Mark

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 08:31:38 PM »
Hello Mark!

I’ve now ordered a 24 inch Magic pie rear wheel with the external controller, a Sun Ringle Doublewide rim and a Ping battery. Thank you for the tip of the battery. I’ll post some pictures when it’s all assembled.

Peter

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 09:18:53 PM »
Hello Mark!

I’ve now ordered a 24 inch Magic pie rear wheel with the external controller, a Sun Ringle Doublewide rim and a Ping battery. Thank you for the tip of the battery. I’ll post some pictures when it’s all assembled.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Best of luck. Ya pics would be nice, I know you will be happy with the ping battery.  :)

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 02:47:58 AM »
Hello Mark!

Peter

Hi Peter,

Best of luck. Ya pics would be nice, I know you will be happy with the ping battery.  :)

I'm not sure how things will turn out, or even if I should post this, I Pm'ed Yuan and suggested he get Ping to supply the cells for GM batts.  Yuan was very open to the idea and requested some more info.  Yuans ability to make stuff happen and diplomacy has always amazed me, so I am confident he may turn up with some good news for GM and Ping lovers alike...   A GM Ping batt would leave the shelves before they were placed on them.

The GM batts are every bit as good as Ping for average use.  Like Cornelius told me the other day he doesn't use the bike every day and the GM shelf life and cycle life is plenty good for his usage.  What use is A Ping batt if it dies of old age at less than 1000 cycles in five years time when a GM batt could do the same.? Hell, An SLA could last longer if you only ride the thing once a week.  This why the GM pack with awesome battery box key switch and BMS is so attractive in comparison to any pack.  Average users of the GM pack will get years of good use from the pack.

Im a gonna gets myself a ping and a GM battery.  Two bikes.

I do want the GM battery box and Lipo compatible BMS and the GM cells for one bike are way adequate.  Where as the other bike is going to need LiFePo4 pack as the ping is going to be doing 2 to three 24km trips a day, every day for two years, I hope... 800 cycles aint going to cut it..  The GM batt is not for this type of ebiking IMO.  I don't think anything is 100% great for this usage.

If I could do better than LiFePo4 I would but I don't think it exists.

Shelf life, vs, cycle life, vs, usage, vs, price.  For someone that only uses the e-bike every second day and doesnt 100% dod every trip the GM battery is a much better deal. You get the good batt box too.  For someone who uses their bike ever day and does lots of discharging, the extra work installing and money for a ping pack is well worth the effort and expense.

Now if PING and GM can amalgamate wow.  A Ping batt with GM looks and versatility.  Who is going to look at a headway pack?  These two companies are made for each other IMO.

Consolidate Ping reputation with GM's ability to engineer such innovative ebike technology with the Jaw drop look out of the box.  Thats all any one could want this technology to progress towards.

PING has excellent cells and is no.1 LiFePo in china.  GM just keeps on keeping on.  Is never going to die and is making the best kick arse all in one kits in the world.  GM just keeps getting better.

I cant wait to get my full GM Pie kit and pack, and am just as eager to get a Ping batt too.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 03:36:32 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on