Author Topic: Magic Pie Question  (Read 6535 times)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Magic Pie Question
« on: June 13, 2010, 01:37:48 PM »
Hi there, I've been led to believe that there are two versions of the Magic Pie, Fast and Slow, and if you live in Europe they send the slow version automatically. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? Thanks

Offline vapid2323

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Magic Pie Question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 02:39:46 PM »
This is no longer the case, the new pie only has one type. Be default it's limited to 20mph and you need the USB cable to remove the limit.

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 02:50:18 PM »
This is no longer the case, the new pie only has one type. Be default it's limited to 20mph and you need the USB cable to remove the limit.

Thanks for the reply vapid2323  :)

Offline windego

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 11:14:39 AM »
Hey Monkeymagic
You say you have the usb interface talking to a MP1? That is great news.
When you had the wheel open di dyou take note of what wires were connected to rx and tx?

I might have to open mine up. Di dyou buy the usb cable or somehow DIY?

Thanks
Stan

jensenff

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 10:41:54 PM »
How exactly?  Selecting 24V? other parameter?

BR
Stein

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 07:34:36 AM »
Hey Monkeymagic
You say you have the usb interface talking to a MP1?
Stan

Hey Stan

The wheel I bought was in beginning of March, it was a cast 16" wheel.
I'm thinking it had a newer controller in it, or it was built at the time of purchase. The PCB is a 316

This communicated with the standard USB cable and PI-200 software without any mods.
Too bad the wheel was faulty/failed as I have since replaced it with a 20" cast wheel.

This version supports reverse as standard with an extra unlabled 2-pin plug coming from the 8-pin connector harness.
Maybe check what model your PCB is - if you open your hub casing it's on the sprocket side of the hub.

I know mx-316 & mx-318 both can interface with the USB cable. I used both of these with the 16" wheel.
Not sure what the 20" wheel uses but I'm tipping its a mx-318 or maybe 1 more revision from there.

Let us know how you go

cheers

Offline vapid2323

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 10:31:31 AM »
How exactly?  Selecting 24V? other parameter?

BR
Stein

yep, set it to 48v and you get to go ~30mph

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 10:59:29 AM »
hey vapid hows it goin

you run dual drive yeah? what wheel sizes do you use?

do you notice a difference in torque using the 48v GM battery and setting the wheel to 36v?

Cheers

Offline vapid2323

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 01:26:08 AM »
hey vapid hows it goin

do you notice a difference in torque using the 48v GM battery and setting the wheel to 36v?

Cheers

I have 26in wheels, and as far as the torque, if anything changed I didn’t feel it. The BIG change was simply adding the second Pie.

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 10:22:13 AM »
hey vapid hows it goin

Cheers

I have 26in wheels, and as far as the torque, if anything changed I didn’t feel it. The BIG change was simply adding the second Pie.

Hey mate
I have my cast 20" dual drive happenin'

Have you tried changing both voltage ratings in the software for them?

I had them both on 48v, and yeah there was a pretty good difference but today I set them both to 24v and holey crap the thing absolutely goes crazy accelerating now.

Can you let me know if this affects the 26" wheel size well? I mean I could not notice too much speed loss from 24v setting however, there would be a maximum rolling speed of my 20" compared to 26"

I really need to design a pie speedo (running cast wheels), and also a way to change the settings on the fly which would mean probably only a few seconds at the traffic lights or a loss of throttle while moving. Not sure if Tom will disclose the comms though :S

Offline Magneto81

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 01:48:40 AM »
I was wondering about that - so setting it to 24V with a 48V battery pack provides better torque - how about speed? I hear people talking about 30mph (48kph) but the most I get is 40kph, and that's if there's no wind on a flat/slightly downhill surface.

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 08:44:31 AM »
Hey buddy

I agree with you. Also remembering you are running 24" wheel?
What I was thinking is that I will never get a 26/28" speed on my 20" cast wheels. So I assumed people getting <50km/h had big wheels.

As for the voltage settings, YES - it definitely significantly changes the current consumption/torque.

With my wheels I would say there is a MAX 5km/h loss, it goes just under or around 45km/h - 24v.

48v there is a noticeable higher top speed however, I prefer the power!

Maybe ask Pat to make some tests or something?