Author Topic: Broken wires in my pie  (Read 5901 times)

Offline electrorocket

• Confirmed
Broken wires in my pie
« on: April 24, 2010, 03:16:58 AM »
Hey,

I have been trying to fix a MP1, The motor was given to me, apparently the controller was NG. I ordered a new cruise controller, and went ahead trying to replace the controller.... After realizing that some modification to the controller itself would be required, I decided I may want to run the controller external to the motor.

It seems during my handling of the pie, I managed to break off a few very fine wires. The wires terminate at the edge of the assembly, and look like they solder to the magnet itself.

I am certain that I am in over my head, and could really use some direction here. The external controller option is complicated by having to run an additional wire(s) thru the axle, seemingly impossible due to the diameter of the hole in the axle.

The original setup, with the controller mounted internally, seems to require the repositioning of some components on the board. The two boards look similar, yet have a slightly different layout. The largest capacitors on the original board on mounted on the opposing side compared to the new controller I have. There are also a few components on the new board that are not seen on the original. I am confident that all is not lost yet.... If anyone can help point me in the right direction, it would be very much appreciated.

Offline electrorocket

• Confirmed
Re: Broken wires in my pie
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 02:56:28 PM »
Ok. so it seems that what I am looking at are the hall sensors. Anyone familiar with the process of replacing a hall sensor, anyone?

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 03:00:40 PM »
You can replace them with a honeywell SS41 hall sensor, or the Magic controller should detect sensor failure and work sensorless.

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 03:03:58 PM »
Yes one pic at another GM controller appeared to have switching regulators on it.

Bring it on

Offline electrorocket

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 07:16:47 PM »
So, I have figured out how to dislodge the Hall sensors from the motor, and I have gone ahead and reinstalled the new sensor. Now, I am working on getting the wires from the new external controller to fit into the wheel. Again, if anyone has some wisdom they would like to share in regards to how to get the wires thru that tight opening in the axle, I would love to hear about it....

Offline Joanna Jachowicz

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 08:57:54 AM »
Hi, ElectroRocket

First excuse the bad english of a poor froggy beginner.
My question is : which tools do you use  to open your Pie ?
The reason is : I have 5 beeps on mine and controller seems to be fried after using 1 month.

Thanks a lot

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 10:37:51 AM »
Hi, ElectroRocket

First excuse the bad english of a poor froggy beginner.
My question is : which tools do you use  to open your Pie ?
The reason is : I have 5 beeps on mine and controller seems to be fried after using 1 month.

Thanks a lot

I cant keep up with all this. ::)

I look at the date of the last post and wish I didn't miss it.  

I use two bread an butter knives to open the HBS hubs.  I use the tip of the knife to get under the side plate and turn them around to blunt side to edge it up a little.  Then pull up on the knife handles moving around the hub.  Edge the cover up little by little.  Be careful of motor inside.

I used the knives as the tips are easy to get under and the flat knife along the case places pressure on a larger area of the cover not focused pressure like a screw driver tip.

Good luck.

Bring it on

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Possible Fried Pie
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 03:12:26 PM »
My question is : which tools do you use  to open your Pie ?
Hi Joanna andto the forum.

Assuming the wheel is already removed, the only tools you should need to remove the cover is a 3mm Allen key (or correct sized Torx key if Torx bolts are fitted) and a wooden or rubber mallet (or a hammer and a piece of wood).

Remove the nine cover retaining bolts and give the axle a big smart tap on the end opposite the side you are removing using a wooden or rubber mallet (or a block of wood and a hammer) to loosen the joint. If the joint doesn't separate first time, hit it a bit harder until it does.  ;)
Once the joint has been separated, the cover should come away relatively easily. A squirt of oil on the shaft/bearing and possibly some heat from a hair dryer to expand the cover slightly may help if it's tight.
There's no need to remove the freewheel unit separately as it will come away with the cover.
If you put a piece of tape next to one of the holes on both the hub and the cover you can make sure it goes back in exactly the same place.

Had your motor been working hard (either uphill or downhill with regen) immediately prior to its failure?

Have you checked the obvious connections and the battery voltage?

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:49:28 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Joanna Jachowicz

• Confirmed
Thanks Bikemad for your quick answer

The problem with my pie happened one morning when I tried to start normally on a flat road. The leds on the throttle indicated that the battery was full.
Just, switching off and on the key-switch of the battery, I heard 5 beeps each time.
I controlled first the voltage on out-plug of the battery : 41 V, OK.
All the connectors seemed well connected : throttle, cruse/horn, brakes and, of course motor supply.
No visible damage.
The only strange thing is : when unplugging the two connectors going to the motor (supply and control) the wheel resists to the manual rotation. That's probably why zhourenli, answering my mail, told me shortly : "the controller is broken".

Yesterday, I received a new complete controller, and that's why I am seeking for information.

So, with your precious advice, I try now to open the Pie. Thanks once more to you and 517337 ! I'ii tell you the end of the story !!