Author Topic: Progress  (Read 37260 times)

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
Progress
« on: September 07, 2010, 08:04:51 PM »
Hi all,

Now I’ve put my winter girl back in one piece again and she’s dancing like never before. :D My smallest shrinking tube** went out and I have to buy new ones tomorrow then she’s ready for the winter. I’m also going to borrow a camera at my work tomorrow and post some pictures on her and her summer girlfriend, the summer girl is still waiting for her spokes though. The controller and the CA have arrived but I can’t get my hands on them yet. FedEx tried to deliver the package to my home yesterday during daytime when I was at work and leave me a note that I could pick it up at a storage house. I went to the storage house today but they had put it back on the truck for a new delivery attempt. They told me to pick it up after the truck has returned 17.00, the only problem was that they closed 17.00.
Isn’t it funny?

Back to my snow longing friend: I really give her a hard ride up the hill in the back of my house which she wasn’t capable to accomplish with the SLA’s. With the non-programmable controller she took 570 W and just carried me uphill.

I turned around after 200 m as I don’t want to kill her, just to realize that she didn’t have any brakes. I think I’ve learned something today: Always check the brakes after a mechanical excess. OMG how easy a bike roll downhill. :o

With the new programmable controller I was only getting 480 W and she didn’t manage to climb the hill by herself. I had set the controller to 24 V, 30 A continues and 50 A peak. The voltage in both cases was 26 V so there is a difference in the amps the controllers can supply.

I’m happy though because she’s much more muscular now than before the change of the battery. She’s also more beautiful since she has dieting away all those unnecessary equipment. And remember she's only a 250 watter. Now I have a programmable controller and its USB cable and no use for it.

**A direct translation from Swedish since I haven’t got the slightest idea what they called in English
Peter
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Progress
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 01:47:28 PM »
oooh she sounds sexy will you share her lol

make sure the pictures are not X rated !

:D

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 11:04:35 AM »
Attached two pictures of my girls.

The waist of my blue winter girl will be a little ruined as it will contain both the controller and the battery. On the picture there are the motor cables but it became a lot more cables and plugs before it was all settled. A moment I was ready to give up but after I had cut off all unnecessary cables and terminals, I could squeeze it in. On top of this box near the frame you can see the pins where the battery connects and if you look very close you can see the studs in the tyre. I will post some pictures on her when she’s complete.

My dark lady is still hanging in the repair stand waiting for the new rim. Some of the spokes have been taking off for measuring cause. The spokes have arrived so I really hope that I measured them correctly. I took a shot from her behind showing her butt up in the air.

I’m a bit concerned over the possibility to cause an accident and be responsible for crashing some other vehicle. With no insurance that could definitely crash my economy. I’m therefore investigating the possibilities to have her registered as a moped and have her insured. It may be possible but also very expensive and I for sure have to fix her rear brake.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 05:24:45 PM »

My dark lady is still hanging in the repair stand waiting for the new rim. Some of the spokes have been taking off for measuring cause. The spokes have arrived so I really hope that I measured them correctly. I took a shot from her behind showing her butt up in the air.

I’m a bit concerned over the possibility to cause an accident and be responsible for crashing some other vehicle. With no insurance that could definitely crash my economy. I’m therefore investigating the possibilities to have her registered as a moped and have her insured. It may be possible but also very expensive and I for sure have to fix her rear brake.

I love the dark lady, very classy and the blue winter girl looks good for the tough stuff.

Peter as a rule of thumb I take it very easy around vunerable individuals, children and animlas are unpredictable.  One thing about the ebike is its ability to travel under 1 kph per hour.  Even people with pedals have trouble going so slow as they need to move too much weight in their legs to compete with a bike where you can sit so still and have motor assistance.

Be a slow stopper not a show stopper.  I have fun showing this advantge off as we can move slower than people can patiently walk.

Bring it on

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 11:14:42 PM »
Am I sensing some laziness here Les?

;)

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 08:19:29 AM »
Am I sensing some laziness here Les?

;)

Yes Lazy Lezy.  LOL.

I was sitting side saddle on my brushed Dyno as the motor bike style seat was a little narrow and harsh on the behind.

I put a flower print pillow I found on the side of the road, I has some ocy staps in the trailer and strapped it to the seat.  Now I can use the pedals at will.

Well the Little brushed Dyno overvolted to 36v and very high pedal to wheel RPM ratio is a little ripper.  If I put all I got into take offs both wheels literally jump off the ground and I do about 0 to 28kph in 2 seconds. hmwhirrrr,  Its funny loosing traction from both front and rear wheels as some take offs can be a little chaotic and you never know what could happen if you push it hard enough with pedal assist..
BI got some work to do on it but when Im finished Ill upload a vid of the biatch in action.

Seeing we going feminize our bikes by7 name I'll call this little ripper the Biatch,  LOL.  Shes small and tough and rides hard.   I can hit gutters head on at 28kph with shopping loads draped over the cross bar and she doesn't even squeal or complain.

Bring it on

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 08:54:32 AM »
Hi agian!

Now I'd fitted the 96 mm double butted spokes and the 46 mm wide rim. Since it was difficult to adjust it exactly against an ordinary ruler, I build this stand for a more precise adjustment.

I must say I'm a bit concerned over how hard I can strain these spokes. I've read a lot about wheel building, but how can anybody explain the tense in a spoke?

Peter
Citizen of the Kingdom of Sweden

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 11:56:30 AM »
Hi agian!

Now I'd fitted the 96 mm double butted spokes and the 46 mm wide rim. Since it was difficult to adjust it exactly against an ordinary ruler, I build this stand for a more precise adjustment.

I must say I'm a bit concerned over how hard I can strain these spokes. I've read a lot about wheel building, but how can anybody explain the tense in a spoke?

Peter
Citizen of the Kingdom of Sweden

Very very nice rim Peter.

On a rim like that with short spokes, not tense at all.  I would make it thumb and one finger tense and just so you hear them make a creaking noise once on your last go around.  The rim gives you much strength and there's not much stretch in short spokes.  Short spoke are strong too.  So you can rely upon the rim and the shortness of the spokes for a strong true rim.

Tight makes the strength of the spokes less IMO as they work against each other and shock bumps can pop short spokes..
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:03:37 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 01:32:37 PM »
I had a fuse blow on my brused bike.  Man I thought the controller was gone.  Lucky.

The wiring was oretty poor.  So I designed this old bike a new power Relay box based on a LM317t current follower circuit..

Cant charge with controller switched on.  Must switch off.

Light come off a 12v tap on SLA's and lights cant be on when charging.

At lowest voltage relay always has optimum voltages.

I did the work gooood on this one and it works extremely well.

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 03:59:10 AM »
Another good tip is I always use a dab of light machine oil on each nipple as it improves the torsion capabilities of the spoke nipple threads and makes it easier to know the tension by feel.

If its too late and you have the rim on there I would still try to get some oil in them.  And every time you re-true your rim add more light machine oil to nipple and spoke thread. before you work.. 

It is very easy to make a true wheel and have all the spokes tension out of balance.  

EG one spoke really tight can compensate for two spokes lose

Much harder to have a true wheel with all spokes even.  I used a small screw driver and tap each spoke and hear the pitch (tune) Like a  piano string. Being musical I came up with idea and since I have not popped a spoke due to uneven torsion.

If you're tone deaf then this obviously want work for you.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 04:03:53 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 11:45:25 AM »
teeheehee nipple  :D

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 04:33:14 PM »
Yes, I did lubricate those nipples before I twisted them between my thumb and finger but it wasn’t until I used a tool on the nipples I could hear her complain. Almost every spoke did spoke to me in the same pitch and she became a real beauty whit the “Fat Ass” tyre on. Unfortunately she couldn’t lend on her kickstand because her butt became too heavy with the leather saddlebag containing the battery pack.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 05:18:02 PM by Sundsvall »

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 08:00:38 PM »
I had a fuse blow on my brused bike.  Man I thought the controller was gone.  Lucky.

The wiring was oretty poor.  So I designed this old bike a new power Relay box based on a LM317t current follower circuit..

Cant charge with controller switched on.  Must switch off.

Light come off a 12v tap on SLA's and lights cant be on when charging.

At lowest voltage relay always has optimum voltages.

I did the work gooood on this one and it works extremely well.

I'm very impressed!!!

Peter

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 08:38:04 PM »

Much harder to have a true wheel with all spokes even.  I used a small screw driver and tap each spoke and hear the pitch (tune) Like a  piano string. Being musical I came up with idea and since I have not popped a spoke due to uneven torsion.

If you're tone deaf then this obviously want work for you.

As I have a past as a rock musician wannabe in a garage band I have the ability to tune a wheel. But in case we were all tone-deaf and nobody of us did understand how horrible it sounded, maybe this electronic tuner should be taken in serious consideration. Just to tune a wheel. ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 07:00:47 PM by Sundsvall »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 10:37:09 AM »
Hey wassup

Hehe what currency is that in?

*Monkey is holding the price of tuner in one hand and the price of another hub motor in the other...

:D

I'm liking this innovative way to tune a wheel!

Would even work for the hard of sight, then again you probably shouldn't be riding a bike if you can't see very well haha