Author Topic: GM used for stationary exercise bike electricty generator  (Read 11646 times)

Offline clinford2001

GM used for stationary exercise bike electricty generator
« on: July 18, 2010, 05:45:06 AM »
I could use help knowing how to retrofit a GM in place of the rear wheel of my road bike turned exercise electricity generator.   What do I need to do to make it happen?  Is a GM motor the best solution for a bike generator???  Any help or direction would be appreciated for attaching it and making it work effectively...

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: GM used for stationary exercise bike electricty generator
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 09:04:14 AM »
I could use help knowing how to retrofit a GM in place of the rear wheel of my road bike turned exercise electricity generator.   What do I need to do to make it happen?  Is a GM motor the best solution for a bike generator???  Any help or direction would be appreciated for attaching it and making it work effectively...

Um you plan on pedaling for watts.  For watt,  I mean for what?

The best direction I could head you in is reverse, but yes it is possible, and if the solar winds destroy all our mobile phone batteries and the power is down for a week it may be worth getting some exercise on that bike you're making.

Before we embark on an epic exercise bike can I ask you a few questions.

How much power do you want to gain by doing this?.  

What practical application do you want this for?.

If your were told this isn't worth wasting time or money on for your needs would you still continue?

Here is the easy way to do what you want.

Remove brake pads

Lift wheel off the ground.

Switch controller on.

Apply regen brake

Pedal to all hell against regen.

Keep pedaling more.

Look at the appox 32 watts of energy you made for your 10 mins effort.

Hire a slave to do the rest. :D

Edit:

Hey it's not such a bad idea.

You could make a gym with 20 of these exercise bikes and charge people to use them.  All the time they are giving you free power.  If you can get all 20 bikes running, 200 watts per hour x 20 bikes is 4000watts.  :o

Edit Edit:

Serve the gym members high caffeine content energy drinks at cost and watch the watt meter rise

« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 09:33:12 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 09:22:45 AM »
I just saw the poll up there.

The answer is fluid.  You could make both work at this low level of power generation.

Depends on the resistance you can put on them for charging.

I'll pick the cheaper lighter unit. 500 watt.

Bring it on

Offline clinford2001

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 04:35:46 PM »
Watch the Youtube video labeled "Brushless Hub motor as 3 phase generator"

You'll find it under:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD1gSx92DuM&NR=1

What do you think??? 

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 08:34:59 PM »
Watch the Youtube video labeled "Brushless Hub motor as 3 phase generator"

You'll find it under:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD1gSx92DuM&NR=1

What do you think???  

As a wind power generator, Wind power is awesome power.  He could get well over a 1000 of watts with a wind prop and much more with a bigger motor.

40 watt isnt that much, although it looks impressive there will be much loss trying to store it.  A big capacitor in there would help just a little bit.

People must consume food to make watts, this is a bad conversion percentage.

The 6 diode rectifier has been discussed here to some detail.

You could do this with a magic controller too, and vary the amount of resistance via software.  :o

Things are going to be different when you connect the motor to a battery. & with how many volts?  EG a little bulb resistance vs .012 ohms battery. The resistance to the wheel is going to be much more.

Id like to see that experiment done on a decent battery. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 08:45:17 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline clinford2001

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 06:06:01 AM »
I agree with you about seeing the performance (amount of resistance) with a larger battery.  I have a wind generator right now. Thing is I would have to attach it via a belt to the rim vs. just sticking on a GM in place of a rear wheel...seems like the GM would be easier to make happen.  I'll first see how well the wind generator idea goes.  I'm going to have to figure out a tensioner for the belt.  That is mostly my biggest concern with going that route.  Never put together anything like this before.  Heard Goldenmotors is considering building a factory ready exercise bike generator...

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 07:33:29 AM »
I agree with you about seeing the performance (amount of resistance) with a larger battery.  I have a wind generator right now. Thing is I would have to attach it via a belt to the rim vs. just sticking on a GM in place of a rear wheel...seems like the GM would be easier to make happen.  I'll first see how well the wind generator idea goes.  I'm going to have to figure out a tensioner for the belt.  That is mostly my biggest concern with going that route.  Never put together anything like this before.  Heard Goldenmotors is considering building a factory ready exercise bike generator...

Now youre talking.  A GM MAGIC Wind wheel

I think using the controller is a  good idea because regen can be set to compensate any miscalculations you may encounter with your build.  And you can fine tune it for your applications.

The GM fets could do better current than most diodes.  You could set it to do 24v @ 50 amps @ 1200.  That would be plenty for a GM WIND WHEEL.

I think 24v is better than 12v because you can use a GM controller to batteries then a DC to DC converter down to 12v and always have optimum volts to your devices.

It is a great idea.  There is so much nearly already built.  You could use a bike rear forks and dropouts with a rear shock set up to do torsion. Or front forks shockies.

You could use a belt or a tire drive, either would work fine.  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 07:47:01 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 08:10:54 AM »
Off topic.

I only want good things to happen.

I watched Penn and Teller, something called Magic & Mystery Tour.  It wasnt BS if you know what I mean.

Penn and Teller are magicians and do that show called Bull $#!+.

Anyways these two went into China and took a look close at culture,  I loved it and I loved the culture, especialy when they went into the villages to see the magic done in the communities.

See for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBE-Si0TMqI

The people in china are beautiful, the culture is unique..  

I was always wondering about the GM magic theme, magic this and magic that, and it seems that the magician is an integral part of the Chinese culture like luck and among many other things.

Back on topic

I want to name GM's first wind power device the Magic Windwheel. I think GM would better pursuing a wind generator.  Not an exercise bike.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 08:13:57 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on