Author Topic: Noise from MP Edge  (Read 2540 times)

Offline MrFred

• Confirmed
Noise from MP Edge
« on: July 15, 2018, 08:58:13 PM »
I have an MP Edge (700C) on the front wheel. I've had it for close to a year and in general, it works well and I'm quite pleased with it.

I am recently getting an annoying "ticking" sound at a frequency of every revolution. It almost sounds like something rubbing mechanically external to the motor, but I believe I have eliminated all those and still have it. I have:
  • visibly inspected for clearances
  • unhooked V-brakes to ensure nothing going on there
  • removed wheel and reseated it in dropouts
and I still have it...not sure, but I think it may be getting worse/louder.

Other characteristics
  • When I have it up on the stand with no one sitting on it and turn the throttle I don't hear it
  • Even if I'm pedaling with no juice applied to the motor I hear it.
  • I don't see any visible wobble, but of course when riding it, that's hard to tell

I just wonder if anyone has any idea whether there could be something inside the motor causing this, and if so, how to diagnose/address it. I looked over a thread for a Smart Pie bearing issue and wonder if that is a possibility with this Edge. I hope not because not sure I know how to tackle disassembling the thing

Any suggestions welcome.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Noise from MP Edge
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 11:28:21 PM »
As the noise is external of the motor, and only appears when load is placed on the wheel, check the tension of the spokes and ensure they are all nice and tight. There should be nothing else externally (apart from the spokes, rim, tyre and valve) that can make noises relative to the wheel rotation.

If you have front suspension, make sure that the cables coming from the motor do not flex and touch against any moving parts when the suspension is compressed.

Alan

Offline MrFred

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 06:37:45 PM »
Hats off to Bikemad!

I wasn't sure it was noise from inside or outside the motor as it's hard to tell when riding.

However, I did snug up a few spokes that weren't really very loose but a bit looser than the rest; truthfully, I was a bit skeptical but lo and behold, so far the noise seems to be gone! I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't check that myself. Could have saved myself a lot of work!

Thanks again.

Offline Jbwiden

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 12:32:33 AM »
Mine was shipped with loose spokes and I had the exact same situation out of the box. Tightened and noise disappeared.

Offline Neven

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 05:58:54 PM »
I had the same issue as well and noticed the dish was off.  Tightening the loose spokes to the point they didn't make noise caused the wheel to go out of true.  A sharpee marker and 3 hours later I had a somewhat true wheel that was dished.   Atleast with a powered wheel it makes it easy to center the wheel on your bike.