Author Topic: Only Red and Yellow Throttle Lights Come On  (Read 4443 times)

Offline Paul Miller

• Confirmed
Only Red and Yellow Throttle Lights Come On
« on: April 04, 2017, 11:51:57 PM »
Hello,

I installed a Golden Motor BLT-800 motor and BAC-0282p on my electric scooter. Shortly after hosing it off my throttle stopped working. With a full battery only the red and yellow lights come on. I switched out the throttle and the same thing occurred. I checked all the connections and everything looks connected. Did I fry my controller if water entered the closed off area (not totally waterproof) that houses the controller?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Paul

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Only Red and Yellow Throttle Lights Come On
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 11:40:33 AM »
Hi Paul andto the forum.

If the battery gauge LEDs on the throttle are indicating a low voltage (green LED not lit up) it is possible that the battery itself may be the culprit, as water in the controller should not affect the operation of the battery gauge LEDs.

If the water has found its way onto the surface of the battery's BMS board it can affect the output from the battery.

Measure the voltage across the thick Black and Red wires on the controller and see if it is correct. If the voltage is lower than it should be, you may need to dry off the BMS board inside the battery.

As it is only tap water (and not salt water) it will hopefully begin working properly again once everything has dried out.

Make sure that all the electrical connections are nice and dry too, as water filled connectors on the throttle or the main harness could also prevent the motor from running.  ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:09:08 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Paul Miller

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 09:44:08 PM »
Hi Bikemad,

Battery is fully charged showing 54v. Scooter has been stored indoors for over a week after getting wet.

I'm in the process now of pulling out wires and reconnecting the splice areas. Will take me a while.

I'll post when I get finished.

Paul

Offline Paul Miller

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 08:24:54 PM »
Hi Bikemad,

I've attached the wiring diagram for the BAC-028x controller. Can you confirm a few connections for me.

1) The LED power wire on the throttle connects to "G" for "Gate".

2) If I want to disable the brake motor cutoff I would connect "B" to "Z/0v".

All the throttle lights are on but throttle still does not work.

Thanks,

Paul

Offline Paul Miller

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 09:25:52 PM »
Also just determined that for some reason "S1" which is identified in the wiring diagram as a "Spare" is jumped to "G" which is labeled as the "Gate".

So now I'm just confused!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 08:54:00 AM »
Can you confirm a few connections for me.

1) The LED power wire on the throttle connects to "G" for "Gate".

2) If I want to disable the brake motor cutoff I would connect "B" to "Z/0v"

Hi Paul, the LED power wire can connect to the "G" terminal as this should always be at battery voltage when the controller is active.

To disable the regenerative braking/motor cutoff you simply need to disconnect the brake signal wire from the controller (connection "B").  Connecting "B" to "Z" permanently would prevent the motor from running and would cause the regen function to be ON continuously.

Disconnecting the safety power cutoff may make the bike illegal to use if it no longer complied with legislation in your country.  ;)

Also just determined that for some reason "S1" which is identified in the wiring diagram as a "Spare" is jumped to "G" which is labeled as the "Gate".

So now I'm just confused!

Unfortunately, I don't know what "S1" is used for so I don't know why it is connected to the "G" connection. Perhaps it is a battery feed from the controller to the "G" connection instead of using an external switch.  :-\

Alan

Offline Paul Miller

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 06:28:58 PM »
Hi Alan,

THANK YOU!! That worked!! I am only using my scooter for off-road use and when stopped on an uphill incline the brake motor shut-off results in the bike slightly rolling backward from the time I let off the brakes and apply the throttle. Also for my installation I am connecting the "R" reverse input to the "Z/0v" input since my motor is mounted in the opposition direction.

I have the controller connected to the Goldenmotor 800w trike motor and I love the high torque!

Again, thank you for the reply!!

Paul