Author Topic: Black Pie 5 no power very slow no bluetooth or windows connect.  (Read 10948 times)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Black Pie 5 no power very slow no bluetooth or windows connect.
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 09:35:32 PM »
Are you able to measure the voltage between the red and black wires on the unterminated cable on the motor harness?
I have a gut feeling that the problem could be caused by a low voltage on the +5V supply.

I want to take a step back and ask anyone when the brake is pulled and I get ERROR 2 (throttle) does every display do this? If not then I am thinking the fault might be controller/wire loom. If the brake is battery ground 48volt connecting circuit and the throttle is 5volt and signal there should be no interaction except for the controller cut out.

I have a Magic Pie 4 with the earlier BAC-601 Smart Display unit and mine shows an Error 1 code (brake lever failure) every time the brakes are operated.

The brake switch simply grounds the brake signal wire when the brakes are applied, but there is also an unused +5V wire in the cable going to the brake switch.
If this unused wire accidentally touches against the brake signal switch contact it would also ground the +5V supply from the controller when the brake switch is activated:

I realise that your particular fault is not the result of a dead short circuit, but a partial short circuit on the +5V supply could cause the reduced top speed that you are experiencing.

At the end of July last year, I had a forum member contact me via PM regarding a slow MP5, and he also experienced the Error 2 code.
He had tried a replacement throttle, but the speed was even lower than it was with the original one!  :(

It turned out that his +5v supply from the controller dropped from ~5V to just 2.1V when the main harness and throttle were connected! :o

In order to achieve maximum speed, the throttle signal output needs to be ~3.25V (or above) but the Hall sensor in the throttle was unable to produce a higher output voltage than the 2.1V it was being fed with. ::)

He was desperate to use the bike and decided to fabricate a makeshift +5V supply (using resistors to form a simple voltage divider circuit that would be powered by battery voltage from the lighting feed) to hopefully cure his problem.

Unfortunately, I did not hear back from him again, so I don't know whether it solved his problem, but I suspect it did.  ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:23:11 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 03:28:29 AM »
I will test that in the morning.

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 04:20:55 AM »
3.03volts when on then I unplug throttle it goes to 4.96

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 05:42:13 AM »
Also now the throttle is disconnected it reads ERROR 2 as it should but now when I pull the brake lever it say EBS this makes much more sense. So could be short in throttle  as volts go from 3.03 to 4.96 when disconnected. the voltage is the same with or without the display connected.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 10:01:29 AM »
3.03volts when on then I unplug throttle it goes to 4.96

That's exactly what I was expecting, but I'm not convinced that it's the result of a short in the throttle, as a direct short would drag the voltage right down to ~0V.

I still suspect that the 5V regulator chip in the controller is simply unable to produce sufficient current to maintain the +5V regulated output while the throttle Hall sensor is trying to draw the required operating current.

I think this may also explain the Bluetooth dongle problem, as I suspect that the dongle also draws its power from the same +5V supply. The dongle does not work with MP4 controllers (which use the same plug for the USB programming cable) and I presume this is due to the lack of a +5V supply on pin 4 of the MP4 controllers' 5 pin connector:

It might be worth plugging in the Bluetooth dongle (with the throttle unplugged) and see if this causes a similar voltage drop on the +5V supply.
If the voltage drops below 4V, then this would confirm my suspicions of a weak +5V supply (faulty controller).

If the voltage stays above 4.5V, then I would suggest that you try to connect via Bluetooth using a suitable Android device to find out if the Bluetooth dongle works.

Alan

P.S.  I have just checked one of my controllers to see what voltage readings you should expect to see:
The +5V supply was reading a constant ~4.9V with the throttle and Bluetooth dongle disconnected.
When I plug just the throttle in, it drops to 4.23V.
When I plug just the Bluetooth dongle in, it drops to 4.52V.
When both units are plugged in, it drops to 4.22V
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:15:10 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 03:09:19 PM »
3.3 volts with dongle plugged in and throttle unplugged.

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 03:12:30 PM »
2.04 volts with dongle and throttle connected

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 03:17:13 PM »
I have added a message to the ticket to see how fast I can get a controller.

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 04:11:16 PM »
HUGE thank you to BIKEMAD for sharing your knowledge in diagnosing was fun. lol ;D

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2017, 03:45:48 AM »
Got message new controller is on the way. I will order a spare controller if this works just to have.

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2017, 04:12:37 PM »
Controller arrived with a throttle today. I installed the controller taking baby steps with testing before each connection. First installed the controller very easy and was sure to seat the controller before screws to be sure no wires were pinched.

Then reinstalled the wheel.

Next was Bluetooth up date before any plugs were connected. Check

Then test for Bluetooth function. Check  ;D

Then connect display. Check. Then main plug no throttle no brakes. Check. Then brakes and they read EBS when pulled. Check. Then throttle and runs up to 63 kmh. Check

Now I cycled and checked after each connection just in case there was another unknown fault to be safe, took extra 10 Min. Very well worth the time. If there was another fault and everything was connected I would not know where to start. Always make sure sur clip is secure when installing and wires are far clear if getting damaged.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 07:36:18 PM »

It's good to know that both the motor and the Bluetooth are now working as expected with the replacement controller.

Now that's what I call a good result!  ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:14:41 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Socalbiker

• Confirmed
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2017, 07:58:56 PM »
I do respond to all tickets
Gaary

Just want to be sure to give Gary a callout, he does respond to all tickets and has great customer service.

Offline Kneedeep

• Confirmed
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2017, 12:09:12 AM »
More testing today went very well plenty of power and speed, 40 mph very easy at 25 amps. Turned down wheel speed to legal limits and turned amps down to 20amps also turned regen down to 45amps as it was nose diving too much might turn down to 35 after longer ride tonight.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2017, 01:46:09 AM »
I do respond to all tickets
Gaary

Just want to be sure to give Gary a callout, he does respond to all tickets and has great customer service.

Thanks for that. Its nice to feel appreciated :)