Author Topic: Minimum Width for Magic Pie motor Install ???  (Read 5582 times)

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Minimum Width for Magic Pie motor Install ???
« on: November 24, 2009, 01:19:07 AM »

Hello everyone , I'm sorry I have a stupid newbie and all . .. How wide does the frame (Rear) have to be to get the motor to fit in it . I took out the rear wheel from 1 of the bikes and it is right at 5 inches . I had thought it was wider before with a rough look at it .. (wheels on). Not going to use the disc brakes but would like 7 gears if I can .. Well thanks again  someday I will Really be able to help others :-) ... Thanks Again Don J. 

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Minimum Width for Magic Pie motor Install ???
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 03:20:11 AM »
5.25 inches. 133.5 mm

You will maybe want some washer on this too.

http://goldenmotor.com/hubmotors/Magic%20Pie%20Sizes%20Model.pdf

Bring it on

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 09:39:44 PM »
I took out the rear wheel from 1 of the bikes and it is right at 5 inches .
My experience is that you do not want to force the frame
open wider than the relaxed state, the tension on the
frame can lead to it snapping.

There is not really a good time for the frame to break, but
there are definitely worse times, like on the side of the
road so the bike pitches you into traffic, or 10 miles down
a 20 mile backwoods trail...

Offline Balderdash

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 09:51:30 PM »

The pie wheel comes with 2 washers on each side (one with a "lug" on and one flat).

I presumed that the flat washers go inside the frame, and the washers with the lug go on the outside?

i.e. Big nut ---> washer with "lug" ---> frame ---> flat washer ---> wheel

This is a very tight fit on my frame, but without the washer inside the smallest gear of the 6 speed freewheel *just* rubs on the frame.

Are the inside washers mandatory if you use a smaller gear set?

(If none of that makes sense I'll try to take a picture tomorrow when it's less dark/windy outside!)

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 03:37:13 AM »
Aluminium frame can be spread only a tiny idy bit.  Steel frames are more forgiving.

You can buy long threaded rods from some store and place it into the dropout, two nuts go in between the rear fork and you can turn them to spread the frame.

As E-lmre has said this can compromise the strength of the frame and alloy frames only bend very, very little and break under the stress or shock of riding.

The washers are used to space the frame from the gear cassette to allow room for the chain, if the chain accidentally slips in between the dropouts and cassette it gets jammed in there and can not be removed without some tools handy.  If you have adjusted the derailer properly the chain shouldn’t do this but the rare occasional big pot hole can result in a seized chain and safety is compromised while pedalling if this happens suddenly.

When the washer is installed if the chain gets caught the pedals still turn but with a bit of resistance which is safer than them just jamming up to a sudden stop.  The derailer can re-rail the chain if its not jammed giving the rider the ability to continue pedalling without having to use a spanner to remove the jammed chain.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 03:39:44 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on