Author Topic: Any good advice on changing Hall Sensors on GM Hub Motors  (Read 6232 times)

Offline Thaialien

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Any good advice on changing Hall Sensors on GM Hub Motors
« on: September 19, 2011, 02:44:23 PM »
Hi all .
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 12:49:21 PM by Thaialien »
Try to put a smile on the face of others it cost nothing ...by what you say !

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Any good advice on changing Hall Sensors on GM Hub Motors
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 03:44:15 PM »
The hall sensors on my Magic Pie were stuck in so tightly I had to break them out in little pieces using toffee hammer and a small jewellers' screwdriver as a chisel, and discovered there was a fair amount to chisel out before the new sensor fitted easily into the slot.

I used a couple of pairs of mole grips to try and prevent the stator laminations from separating while I gently chiselled away at the remains of the old hall sensor:

All the broken broken bits were removed:

So the new sensor could slip nicely into the slot:

I did have a few gaps between some of the laminations (one is just visible in the above photo), but when I applied the superglue to hold the new sensors in place, I put some in the gaps and kept the laminations tightly clamped while the glue dried to eliminate the gaps!

I decided it might be easier to solder the wires to the sensors before gluing them into place, so that was the way I tackled it, and it seemed to work pretty much according to plan.  I slid pieces of heat-shrink tube onto the wires before soldering to the sensor legs and then slid them over the legs and simply shrunk them into place with the soldering iron.

Just make sure you reconnect the correct coloured wires to the correct sensor legs, or you'll need to pull the whole thing apart again to put it right when you eventually find out it's not working. I took photos and made detailed notes before I started removing any of the wires, to make sure I put it all back together correctly first time. ;)

Hope this helps.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:18:54 PM by Bikemad »

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
Re: Any good advice on changing Hall Sensors on GM Hub Motors
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 07:46:53 PM »
hi All

mine werent in tight at all, in fact they were in by silicone sealant....i used silicone to replace them, no problems after 4000 miles
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute