Author Topic: problem with electric bike, need help please!  (Read 27180 times)

Offline Alan1976uk

• Confirmed
Re: problem with electric bike, need help please!
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 04:45:44 PM »

(Sorry Alan1976uk; didn't mean to hijack your thread, but it was related though... ;) )

I think it's usual to have all three sensors facing the printed side out towards the magnets. The placement of your sensors looks very much alike to GM's motors. :)
Edit:
Remember where each sensor was placed; if they swap places, you'll have to swap sensor wires on the controller also, and that only confuses... ;D

Thats fine mate, in fact its useful and interesting to read about how these sensors work.

Also I found this quote about a faulty hub on youtube, as you can see the person that commented stated that the middle one is turned 180' degrees ???

Actual comment :-

If you've got a broken sensor, there are "honeywell SS40"! They are not expensive. The middle sensor is turned? by 180°degree...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:48:34 PM by Alan1976uk »

Offline Alan1976uk

• Confirmed
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 07:05:03 PM »
Just an update and a thank you to everyone that had some input into my problem.

I'm happy to say I finally fixed my bike :) I'm now a happy chappy.

I had a bit of a nightmare though, found out what had caused the sensor to blow, I had 2 severed wires right were the wire enters the hub and they were touching each other this was also giving me false signals when testing, this was the reason I was getting constant 5v (doh!!) should have check the wiring first I guess!! live and learn.

As for the SS41 hall effect sensors, these didn't exactly work in the same way as my original sensors.

My original sensors allowed current to pass through until a magnet was placed on the front and the current then stopped, once the magnet was removed the current was allowed to flow again, placing a magnet the other side had no effect at all.

The SS41 sensors allowed current through until a magnet was placed in front of the sensor which stopped the current, once the magnet was removed the current was still blocked. Only after the magnet was applied to the rear did the current start again hence

Latching hall sensors are similar to Bipolar, but they stays on or stays off when the magnetic field are removed.

But no matter the SS41's worked a treat and the bike runs smoothly now, I have only made a temporary fix to the wiring that I will eventually need to replace when I get more time.

So thanks again all, could not have done this without your help.

Oh and the middle sensor did need to be facing the opposite way to the other!!

Alan.

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 12:01:46 AM »
It's great that you found out the quirks and workings of your motor! :)
Ofcourse; we didn't think of shorted wires, which we should... ;D

But now; you're the expert, and we're all wiser. That's what's great with this board... ;)

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 12:12:44 PM »
Just a small update on this topic. (Hope you don't mind, Alan. ;) )

I've just finished refurbishing my brothers front 901 wheel, which took a dip in the salty ocean and sat for a couple of months. It was hairy, salty, rusty, and totally stuck... ;D

All that was washed and brushed clean; bearings was replaced, and ofcourse, the hall sensors was a total loss, so I ordered some SS413A hall sensors, which are Bipolar hall sensors. All 3 sensors was mounted in their keyed slots in the stator and glued in place (all sensors the same way with front outwards.). Ofcourse, I managed to lose the small pcb the sensors was mounted on, so I wired them manually/directly to the wires, and assembled the hub.

The motor worked perfectly at first testrun. :D